Author Topic: New members & Eradication of spambots  (Read 9042 times)

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
New members & Eradication of spambots
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:35:19 AM »
We have again had a period of tons of spambots trying to join the forum. When I log in there are literally hundreds of new users to approve. Most of the time it is really easy to see that they are spammers from their user names, e-mails etc. If I see lots of users signing up at once from the same IP that is also a warning signal. All suspected spammers are rejected and if an IP is particularily frequent that IP will be banned.

So what does this have to do with new members?

Well it is possible that a real person trying to sign up will accidentally be rejected. If this happens try again. If you joined this forum because someone who is already a member told you about it, please ask that person to send me a pm with the username and e-mail you are trying to sign up from and I will fix it for you.

This may especially be a problem if you are trying to join us from a Polish or Russian IP or .ru/.pl e-mail. Unfortunately there are a lot of spambots fitting that description. My apologies to any Warzone or Chronopia players there if I accidentally reject your membership requests. Please follow the steps above and have someone get in touch with me.

And as always if you see a spam post hit the report button and it will be erased as soon as we can.

/Coil
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:46:43 AM by Coil »

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: New members & Eradication of spambots
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »
Thanks Coil.  I blasted about 1000 requests last month.  They never stop.   :'(

We may have to get a new secret knock on the door to let people in.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA