Author Topic: Hello from Afghanistan  (Read 12040 times)

Wedge

Hello from Afghanistan
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:20:44 AM »
Wow!  It sure has been a long time. I was chatting with Coil on Facebook this evening and it got me feeling nostalgic about all my warzone and chronopia gaming friends. I just thought I would pop in and see how everyone is doing back in the good ol US of A... And the other "civilized" countries of this world. In case you were wondering... Yes, Afghanistan bites. I wouldn't even come to visit even if they stopped trying to kill us. I think I would describe this country as a hot and windy kitty litter box. Sand and crap everywhere you turn. But 5 months down and only one more to go. And when I get home I get to finally retire after 20 years of service. Hallelujah!  So how has everyone been?  I know that's an open-ended question but I'll take whatever answers I can get. :)

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
Re: Hello from Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:27:14 AM »
Hey Wedge!  First and foremost, that you for your service.

For myself, I am slowly getting back into the "real world" after my election bid.  I am working part time, and building a computer consulting business on the side.   Got a friend into Warzone, so he and I will be playing when he visits.  He is in the Army as well, so don't see him as often as I'd like. 

Other than that, just trying to keep the game collection from becoming proof of Heisenberg's principle!   

Keep safe, and good luck!
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:54:02 PM »
I second MadBrad's sentiments.  Thank you for serving our country. 

My home town of Joplin, MO just got hit with an F4 tornado, but fortunately my family and friends are all fine.  That's something that 90+ people (and counting) can't say.  Otherwise, not much on the home front, really.  My son just turned one and school's about out for the year.  Then it's summer school.  I know this sounds dreadfully boring, but it's a slice of home in the USA.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 04:14:46 AM »
Thank you for your service Wedge and may God keep you and all your comrades in arms safe.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 08:19:25 AM »
Keep safe over there.

Just the daily grind here. Trying to squeeze in some gaming but life usually gets in the way. Talamania was a blast as always.

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 04:42:07 AM »
You da man, Wedge.  Others have said it, and I echo it; thanks.

Talamania was a blast, and we, all, missed you.  You were talked about (all good, bro, I promise ;D).  I know others will feel the same when I say that we cannot wait to have you back with us.

Life here is pretty good.  I've been unemployed going on ten months, now, but I have a few irons in the fire.  My wife has picked up the slack, for now, and is working two jobs.  The kids have gotten older, with my daughter turning 13, and seemingly hitting all the angst and tribulations that come along with that milestone.

Summer is just starting to kick in and the kids will, soon, be home for the summer.  The not-really-bred-for-caregiver-role part of me shudders at that thought.

May 21st came and went, thus putting another doomsday proclaimer's proclamations into the GPS vocabulary - "Recalculating."

Stay safe, keep in touch and know that we all miss you and truly appreciate you doing that which others will not.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 06:30:40 AM »
We missed you this year.  Come home safe, and thanks for your service!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Wedge

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:24:11 AM »
Thanks everyone. I am only here a couple of weeks more and then I can go home. Happy gaming everyone!

Offline dane

• Board Member
  • The Board
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 12:48:45 PM »
Travel safe good man. Keep your head down and your spirits up!

Bill R
We are all who we say we are. So long as our actions are the same as our words.

Mishima prophet

Offline Lancelot

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 07:59:20 PM »
Positive vibes and safe time there and journey home , man!
Keep us posted!