Author Topic: Strike Skimmers and Dragon Bikes!!!  (Read 9678 times)

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
Strike Skimmers and Dragon Bikes!!!
« on: February 06, 2006, 07:39:26 AM »
This came up over the weekend.

Question:  How high off the ground do they hover?

I am under the impression that that skimmer class vehicles act like hovercraft, and just barely leave the ground.
(I play Bauhaus)

My opponent assumes that skimmers hover a few inches off the table.
(He plays Mishima)

It was a LOS issue. 

I deliberately placed my Strike Skimmer behind a barricade, so that I could only see certain models.
The goal was to shoot at Amaterasu sooner, if I left closer models out of LOS.  (only having to kill 1 Faceless before shooting at her, instead of 4 Faceless)

His opinion was that the skimmer hovers higher, and is therefore able to see all the faceless.  (since the barricades were only as tall as the top of the skimmer's cage)

It didn't really affect the outcome or Amaterasu, but I gotta know for future reference.

See really poor diagram below
Please insert *Obscure Movie Quote* or *Witty Gamer Lingo* here: ________________________________________________!

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

Re: Strike Skimmers and Dragon Bikes!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 09:44:34 AM »
You are correct the skimmer does not have any appreicable altitude, it is essentially on the groud.  If the Skimmer were 4 inches above the table that would be flying, the strike skimmer is not a flying model.

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 01:09:14 PM »
You are correct the skimmer does not have any appreicable altitude, it is essentially on the groud.
So then I take it that the DragonBike is on the ground too??
Please insert *Obscure Movie Quote* or *Witty Gamer Lingo* here: ________________________________________________!

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 01:20:43 PM »
If its not a flying model it is on the ground,  I've never really looked that closely at mishima since no one I know plays them but I'm pretty sure the dragon bike doesn't fly, and therefore is on the ground

Offline semai99

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 01:28:37 PM »

So then I take it that the DragonBike is on the ground too??

I'd say that it behaves exactly like a skimmer as per the book it does state the dragonbike to be 'an all-terrain skimmer' not a flyer if you look at the great grey stats it says 0/6:10  whereas the stat for the skimmers is just one move figure ie 6
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 01:47:53 PM »
Quite correct. If it was a flyer it would have the statline of a flyer.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 02:31:11 PM »
I have to agree with the general concensus, so far.  Skimmers are just that - they "skim" the ground.  The only real difference between them and wheeled vehicles is the types of terrain that they are able to traverse.

Tell Marc that the Dragon Bike (though it comes with one of those clear stand/base combos) is, also, a skimmer, and not an F100 Super Sabre. ;)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline semai99

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 02:37:02 PM »
Also I've a question about the 'Divine WrathScout Bike'  I take it this is also a skimmer as it says that its based on the Pegasus Scout bike.  As I have a couple of bikes I might convert to proxy for these. (he says having not even finished painting the grunt squads yet  ;D )
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 06:42:58 PM »
Tell Marc that the Dragon Bike (though it comes with one of those clear stand/base combos) is, also, a skimmer, and not an F100 Super Sabre. ;)

I'll be sure to let him know.
We had a good 750 pt. game...  He used his Pheonix and Faceless army.
I won, but we went for about 90 min without a kill.
He only took 2 of mine. It felt good after he destroyed me twice in a row.
Now we are tied at 2 wins each. ;D

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 06:46:16 PM »
The Pegasus and the like are both ground effect skimmers and as such sit right above the ground.  Same for the DragonBike and Strike Skimmers.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 09:29:27 PM »

I'll be sure to let him know.
We had a good 750 pt. game...  He used his Pheonix and Faceless army.
I won, but we went for about 90 min without a kill.
He only took 2 of mine. It felt good after he destroyed me twice in a row.
Now we are tied at 2 wins each. ;D

Congrats.  Are we playing this Saturday?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 05:46:11 AM »
Are we playing this Saturday?
I didn't really have plans that I am aware of.... 
I'll check with the authority of the house and see if I am free.
Where do you want to play?

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 06:42:51 AM »
I don't care where we play.  Obviously, you have enough room for three games at once.  I can do three, in a pinch, but, more likely, two.

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 07:59:51 AM »
Thanks to all for the speedy clarification!!

You all ROCK!! 8)

dmcgee1...  I'll get back to you on the weekend plans.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 05:36:22 PM »
I believe in using terrain to block LOS as above but just a thought if the Skimmer is size 5 Giant which is 3 or more times the size of a normal model and the skimmer is hooving just above the ground the model is flat to the ground it  mgiht be taller than the 2 inch block it's behind. Maybe someone could clarify how tall the skimmer is.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69