Author Topic: Confrontation model info?  (Read 18431 times)

Offline insan0

Confrontation model info?
« on: April 27, 2011, 10:30:01 AM »
Hello I have been looking at models from the confrontation line to use as characters GW games. I have read up on the history of rackham/confrontation and the switch from metals to pre painted plastics and eventual demise. However I have no physical experience with them, haven't seen one in person.
What is the quality like in the pre painted plastics, paint and sculpt wise? Can they be converted and repainted?
Any overall info on the metal and plastics would be appreciated before I spend some money.

-Dave

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
Re: Confrontation model info?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
I can only speak for the pre-painted minis, but I thought they ranged from very good table standard to okay table standard.  It would depend on the model, of course.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline insan0

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:11:11 PM »
I'm looking for some unique models to fill out my chaos daemon army.
So far I have almost talked myself into dropping some serious cash on a pair of daemon princes.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260724584884&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2400wt_1374
They are the older metals and look stunning.

While I am at it I am looking at alternatives for 2 heralds of slaanesh and considering this pre painted plastic
http://www.nobleknight.com/imagepage.asp?image=RKHRACH05.jpg&name=Ejhin%20of%20Vanth%20Hero%20Box
and/or the metal version
http://www.nobleknight.com/imagepage.asp?image=RKHMVFI02.jpg&name=Ejhin%20De%20Vanth
Not entirely slaanesh[y] but I think she makes a good prophet/seer. I plan on fielding 2 heralds and I don't mind them being "twins" with slight conversions.
Personally I like the plastic version more, but I might go with one of each and reposition the staff on the metal one.

These aren't confrontation but they are going to be the bases for my fiends of slaanesh conversions so I thought I would share.
http://www.nobleknight.com/imagepage.asp?image=ABG4009.jpg&name=Volkoda%20Crouching
Going to do some swaps for slaanesh style claws and talons, not sure about the heads right now,..
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:23:34 PM by insan0 »

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:09:18 AM »
I think you'll be happy with them.  They may cost a pretty penny, but they'll look really good.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »
 The metal Confrontation miniatures are very well sculpted.Some of the miniatures are really fiddly with lots of small pieces.The plastics are pretty good and for the prices you can pick them up now worth getting.I got a very large box a few weeks ago.Lots of differnt factions including some AT-43 miniatures too.

Offline insan0

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »
Glad to here some good things about the models.

I will have to postpone buying the daemon prince stand ins, the seller is in china and much of his negative feedback is about knock off items. In the mean time I will find some wings and use the dark tusk totems. The totem makes a good khorne prince but I had sold myself on the confrontation models. :'(

The heralds are still planned so I will get a taste of both the metal and plastic miniatures.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 02:35:09 PM »
 There seems to be loads of knock off items coming from China these days.

You should be-able to find lots of proxy miniatures to use in your games.

Check-out the Undead miniatures Plastic Confrontation box set.It has some really cool miniatures in which might be of use to you.

Offline insan0

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 06:36:25 AM »
I found a website hosted by the same ebay seller. http://www.miniatureshobby.com/ So be aware! Interestingly enough they are quite upfront about there dubious nature.
"Most of our miniatures are not original.
So they don't have original colour box,but the kit is high quality,ready to assemble and paint."

However much of there negative ebay feedback contradicts the statement about quality.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 01:23:54 PM »
 I think these will be the people that sell the miniatures without the cards.Copy miniatures are not always to the same high standards as the originals.At those prices I would look elswhere.There are lots of new miniatures ventures starting off which may have what you need.I will keep my eye's open and report back.

Offline insan0

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 10:07:32 AM »
I did manage to find someone with a pair of legitimate 'Molochs' but Im scared to say the price,but it turns out to be the going rate for them.$75+ a piece

What started with an attempt to replace a pair of GW Deamon Princes has begun to spiral in cost. I have done a lot of searching, they are by far one of the best choices out there and would work with any other confrontation models I sub in. However I am tempted to let this offer go and keep my eyes open. In the mean time I have a pair of Chronopia Darktusk Totems that will stand in, finding suitable wings will be easier and cheaper. Yet the temptation remains, I sold of my space marines so its not "real" money or so it goes,.... I will let you know if I cave. My be I will find something sweet at my local store today?

I did order some confrontation plastics and plan on doing minor conversions on them so I will also share my experience with that.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 08:22:59 AM »
 You could try looking into plastic toys too.Some really nice one's around now.McFarlane do some great pieces.

Heresy miniatures also have some very good demons which might fit the bill.

THe Devout winged demon might make another cool stand in too.

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 10:06:55 PM »
If you can find one, the Mage Knight Spirit Eidolon Solonavi Celestial is a beautiful piece.  Google it and see for yourself.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson