Author Topic: Let's get it on! (TGB starts work for Warzone Patrol)  (Read 9889 times)

Offline TwoGunBob

Let's get it on! (TGB starts work for Warzone Patrol)
« on: September 22, 2005, 07:58:21 PM »
Demnogonis is my chosen army for this patrol and unlike the Ilian patrol I'm actually playing with a few modifications. Started by playing with the cairaths for the moment and modifying them to be a bit more nasty and representative of the nastiness that was The Thing (John Carpenter version) using some stuff from the old bits box.

Of course you guys get to knock me around for using a vareity of legionaires for Blessed Legionaires but I can't help that I like variety and want to paint twelve different Warzone figures rather than three sets of four of the same figure.

Also did some minor cutting and pasting to the Spawn of Demnogonis I may put up later. But I am under way with a full head of steam. Thoughts and opinions always welcome.
Currently playing:
Bow House: Saggy Old Ellie
Dark Lesion: Ill Ian, Whored
Empirical: I D... Ef' Em

Offline Shidoshi357

• Journeyman
Re: Let's get it on! (TGB starts work for Warzone Patrol)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 09:32:30 AM »
looks good so far can't wait to see some paint on that metal ;)
'Oh, Lord, bless this thy hand grenade that with it thou
mayest blow thy enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 10:53:54 AM »
If your work inspires Southpaw to doctor up his Cephlapods of Doom I'm gonna cry  :'(
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 02:27:58 PM »
Those actually creep me out, just like the movie did years ago.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Vingthor

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 06:28:09 AM »
 That movie still creeps me out. I watch it every year. It realy suprised me when the youngsters (teens and early twenties) at the LGS looked at me and asked what I was talking about.

The cairaths look great, The owner of the LGS is a big Demnogonis player (and a John Carpenter fan too) He'll love these.

PMP Ving

Offline TwoGunBob

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 07:12:19 AM »
Okay, I can't help but talk about the work as I move through this. With the caraith conversions done I went ahead and assembled and primed the force. Minus the blight commandos I'll be needing. (Thom if you read this by chance are the squad packs ready?) I've assembled for the grunt unit a Demnogonis Blessed Legionaire group with a golem of darkness and curator as well as four Last Ritesmen. Might push it to eight depending on point costs and how the models turn out when I paint them. Goinga bit experimental there so they may not turn out well.
Now, when it came down to the Blessed Legionaires I couldn't bring myself to get three packs of BL's. You may wag your finger at me but I get one package of Blessed, one package of undead Legionaires and one pack of undead Legionaires type b. It gives me twelve different figures so my wrists won't ache like they did from doing 32 Imperial Regulars. Speed painting and assembly line painting just takes the fun out of it for me. So this allows me to tackle it one figure at a time and enjoy myself. So far two Legionaires are complete excepting for basing which does happen last.

The work so far.

I went with the gray/purple tones for flesh over the horror movie green as opinions around say the body goes more gray than the green of Romero's zombie movies. Aplologize about the blur but my camera is pretty old (still using floppies for goodness sakes) I'll work on the lighting of course for the competition proper but the progress reports. Eh, just me sharing what I'm up to painting wise.

And thanks to everyone that commented on the Cairaths. I am dying to paint them but they are the support unit with a drop pod so they will be the last thing my brush touches. Unless I end up flipping the elites around due to Blight Commando availability.
Currently playing:

Offline TwoGunBob

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 06:02:12 PM »
Total fear is creeping up on me as I am so far ahead of schedule I am scaring myself. 11 Legionaires done, 1 Golem of Darkness, a curator... I realize to most people this is chicken feed but usually I'm lucky to get one figure done every three-four days. Proof that Warzone patrol is good for my sense of focus.

The Legionaires...

I will continue to add that the variety added a lot to my desire to paint. In the end the actual blessed Legionaires figures were my least favorite to paint. The sculpts are great but the paint jobs just left me undecided as I went with a greenish tone rather than purple/gray like the rest. Overall I'm happy with the painting so far.

Last figure before the Last Ritesmen begin is a Spawn. I did a few tiny modifications to him.

Changed his necrotech claw out with a hand from a 1999 mini and used a spare piece of the caraith metal claw to add another chunk of metal to him. A small modification but I think it sets the figure apart a little bit.

This fortunately leaves me plenty of time to ponder over the Blight Commandoes and whether to convert or just tack individuals in there to bulk the points up. As it stands without any Blight Commandoes the patrol will have some glaring weaknesses.

12 legionaires and 4 Last Ritesmen just aren't enough. Might have to bulk up on Last Ritesmen or go with cadavers...
Fortunately I have a couple weeks to work this out.

Currently playing: