Author Topic: Secondary Attack  (Read 6807 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Secondary Attack
« on: April 08, 2011, 11:39:41 AM »
The Special Ability (SA), Secondary Attack (2ndAtt), seems to insinuate that both attacks must be Close Combat (CC) Actions.

Our group has played this rule incorrectly, apparently.  In other words, if a model which has 2ndAtt is equipped with a ranged combat weapon, it has been allowed to conduct a Ranged Combat (RC) Attack against the closest model to it if it killed the model with which it was in CC on its first "action" of the 2ndAtt.

Please, ask me to clarify if I am not explaining this correctly.

What are your thoughts?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
Re: Secondary Attack
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:04:42 PM »
SA gives 2 attacks the 2nd at -4 to CC. If a model has a sword and pistol and declares the sword as his primary weapon and kills the intended target he can shoot the closest target within range, but I feel it should be a -4 RC attack not a -4 CC attack. IMHO
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 05:48:21 AM »
I don't have a problem with that; the rules seems to indicate that the secondary attack should also be a CC attack, though.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:22:10 AM »
Page 51 rulebook:

"A model equipped with multiple weapons and the secondary attack special ability cannot fire a ranged weapon at another model, as both attacks must be against the enemy model in close combat. If the opposing model is dispatched by the first attack of the strike, then a secondary attack can fire the secondary weapon at another target with an additional -4 penalty."

Are we still playing it wrong?

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Lopis

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:39:02 AM »
I second the opinion of dmcgee1.

The second weapon can be a RC or CC attack. RC is only legal if the first model was killed with the first CC action, if you fire at another target (target priority has to be follewed here naturally).
But Itīs totally legal to get a second attack with a regular "ranged combat weapon". If its got a CC you have to use it against the same model if it isnīt killed. RC is only possible if first target was felled ;-)
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 04:20:06 AM »
This has been clarified by Thom - the secondary attack may, indeed, be an RC attack, following normal targeting priority.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 04:40:38 AM »
Page 51 rulebook:

"A model equipped with multiple weapons and the secondary attack special ability cannot fire a ranged weapon at another model, as both attacks must be against the enemy model in close combat. If the opposing model is dispatched by the first attack of the strike, then a secondary attack can fire the secondary weapon at another target with an additional -4 penalty."

Are we still playing it wrong?

Nicely done, sir; I completely missed that.

Forget I even started the thread.  Next time, I'll check with Phil, Tim and Lopis, first.  ;D

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »
Not a problem. Didn't know what the "additional" penalty was. Obviously it is in addition to all normal penalties.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline micmellon

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 08:31:52 AM »
So it is -8 if the second attack is a RC?  ???
It's just a flesh wound - Black Night

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »
No - it is -4 CC or RC, depending upon the type of the attack, +/- any weapon/range adjustments.

Simply a clarification that the secondary attack may be CC or RC, depending upon whether the acting model is, still, engaged in CC.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:13:47 PM by dmcgee1 »

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 10:49:30 AM »
No - it is -4 CC or RC, depending upon the type of the attack, +/- any weapon/range adjustments.

Simply a clarification that the secondary attack may be CC or RC, depending upon whether the acting model is, still, engaged in CC.

Correct. :)
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y