Author Topic: [1st edition] Last battle doubts  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Raga

[1st edition] Last battle doubts
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:58:52 PM »
1) Stygian Tree Devil attacks my Waiting Wolf Totem and inflicts a wound - Totem survives but cannot do anything (no visible action to react)
Tree Devil makes second attack (visible action) but misses.
Can Wolf Totem use its wait action to strike back?

2) The only situation in rulebook where model cannot use its DEF and Shield is Panic (Chronomancer and Enlightened are exceptions).
Does it mean that DEF and Shield still work with Unseen Assailant, Attack from Hidden status and Back Attack?

3) Can scared models (Fear) enter Berserk to overcome it?

4) Is Stygian Embalmed affected by "one shot per turn" when charging 3 models in a row (can throw javelins only at first model)?
Let us drink to the power drink to the sound
Thunder and metal are shaking the ground
Drink to your brothers who are never to fall
We're brothers of metal here in the hall

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
Re: [1st edition] Last battle doubts
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
As to 1) the Tree Devil is taking a visible action, so Iīd say yes, the Totem may use its Wait action to strike.

As to 2), if itīs my own model, I would probably say they lose their shield bonus and Def modifier if they are caught unawares. If they let someone sneak up on them, they deserve what they get. If itīs my opponentīs model Iīd let him decide.

As to 3), Berserk vs. Fear is handled in this post: http://forum54.oli.us/index.php/topic,597.0.html. I found the discussion very interesting as it is one of the unclear points in the game...

As to 4), AFAIK throwing spears when Charging is not counted as a missile attack but as an extra attack when charging, similar to the Dark Tusksī Tusk attack.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:59:53 PM by Horned Owl »
"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."

Offline Raga

Re: [1st edition] Last battle doubts
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:54:14 PM »
Everything seems clear except number two.

My position is:
Shield works only with visible frontal attacks.
DEF should work always (except for Panic and freezing time), it represents the alertness of a model.
ie. Dark Tusks with Pickaxes have DEF 0 cause of their bulky armor and limited vision of helmets but Kronos Hearthguards are agile and "always in motion" so they should be harder to hit even with Unseen Assailant or Sneak Attack.

Does the solution above have conflict with any existing FAQ (1st edition)?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:43:32 PM by Raga »
Let us drink to the power drink to the sound
Thunder and metal are shaking the ground
Drink to your brothers who are never to fall
We're brothers of metal here in the hall