Author Topic: [Battle report] Silver-Light Grove: Jackals vs. Wolves  (Read 24791 times)

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
[Battle report] Silver-Light Grove: Jackals vs. Wolves
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »
Met this weekend with an old friend who had moved to Würzburg, and we played two rounds. We came up with pretty silly ideas for darkness and mobile light sources and had a real blast! I´ll post a report as soon as my workload will let me.
"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
Re: [Battle report] Silver-Light Grove: Jackals vs. Wolves
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
On the world above, the sun rose and set. Rain fell softly and pattered off the rocks, soaked the topsoil and made small rivulets where the ground refused to admit it in. But far below the ground, the Feral Dark knew nothing of sunlight, shade and rain. Here stifling darkness reigned supreme, unbroken by the diurnal course of day and night.

In the endless caves where the Dwarves first were born, time was measured not in hours and days but by the beating of a living heart. The Dwarves were taught from birth, unconsciously, to listen to their heartbeat, to allow for the quickening and slowing with anger, fear, or love, to count out the measure of their lives, until it required no conscious effort at all. In the impregnable darkness of their vast home, sightless, their senses turned inward until the slow beating became like a huge drum in their ears.

Thousands and thousands of heartbeats since Ruegar´s patrol had left the Gate and made their way down the Great Gorge, deep into the Feral Dark, to hunt. Much as the Dwarves claimed to be lords of the vast underworld, the Great Dark was mother to a multitude of sightless creatures that were sly and dangerous, and those were the true masters here. The Wolf clan, in their day, had hunted them for sport and for nourishment, and gained great renown for their skill. But the Dwarves had left the caves behind and closed the seals, and the monstrous creatures returned, thrived and multiplied in their absence.  And now, when Ruegar´s band of warriors entered the caves again, their mind was never on sport or meat. For now they were hunting the most dangerous game of all – their fellow Dwarves.

So long since the Jackal clan had broken the oaths and ties of blood that bound them to the other clans and sworn allegiance to the Dark One. They had renounced their old kin and led His cursed and defiled get into the Labyrinth to desecrate the hallowed heart of Dwarvendom, where in days of old their Gods had trod. Hate was hot in the minds of Ruegar´s Dwarves, as searing hot as it had been in their fathers´ fathers´ hearts when they first heard of the Jackals´ betrayal. No number of heartbeats that passed could reduce that heat even by the tiniest fraction. Forgiveness was not a Dwarven trait.

As they entered a great forest of stalactites – the ancient map said, "Silver-Light Grove", the runes deeply embossed in the thick parchment to be read by running one´s thumb across the surface in the dark – they saw the first light since the great doors of Karath Morg had closed behind them. It moved, glittering through the elegantly fluted spires, piercing the inky blackness with rays of brilliance that hurt their eyes, so long accustomed to the dark. With fluttering wings, a cloud of small creatures resembling bats, glowing with some kind of luminous mould in their fur, wheeled, dipped and darted in a complex and beautiful ballet faster than the eye could follow.

Were it not for the grim nature of their errand, the Wolves would have stood transfixed with awe. Even so, after all the time spent in the dark, their gaze lingered on the dazzling creatures for a little too long. His head lifted upward in wonder, Ruegar´s foot stepped into something which felt like dry branches, and which gave way and trapped his leg. It was a mark of his discipline that he did not cry out.

His axe was out of its sling and in his hand before he could think, and he brought it down on the thing. Something crunched drily. His foot was suddenly free, and he tumbled, coming up in a sideways loping crouch like an ape, still moving to present a difficult target, his axe ready to strike again. Then he realised the thing that had trapped him – it was the ribcage of a sprawling Dwarven skeleton, brown and mouldy with age, still wearing its discoloured armour. (Dwarven steel did not rust, he noted with satisfaction.) The glittering cloud wheeled again, and he was suddenly in the shadow, blind, with the skull´s afterimage still dancing in his field of vision.

His patrol had taken cover at the first sound, like the well-trained hunters they were. Only a slight rustling betrayed their position as they took up a defensive formation. His aide, Grannock, was by his side instantly. He knew better than to speak but tapped a short rhythm on Ruegar´s forearm.
"Only a corpse", Ruegar whispered hoarsely. "Get the Wolves moving."

Grannock started but was suddenly thrown backward. Ruegar heard the scraping of steel on steel. Then the glowing bats soared overhead, again, and in the sudden light he stared into the empty eyes of what he had taken for a corpse. It raised its notched sword again and sent it crashing down on the prostrate Grannock´s wolf-helm. There was a sickening crunch as his aide´s head fell backwards.

All around him, he saw the Risen advance on his patrol. Then the fluttering overhead faded, and darkness fell again.

This weekend, Björn, an old friend of mine, came over from Würzburg, and we decided to have a quick spate of battles to test out the lighting rules for the Myrmadon Project. We started with a simple 500 point game, which was over quickly and rather random in outcome, just to get acquainted with our armies again. The shadow rules worked out fine, so we got ambitious and tried for a 1500 point battle – Jackals against Wolves in the depths of the Labyrinth.

Here came the twist. Björn suggested that the light source be mobile, which sounded extremely fun to me. We darkened the room, dug out a small tea candle and lots of tall scenery to throw shadows. The areas of actual shadow were going to be treated according to the rules for Darkness from The Dwarven Labyrinth. Each turn, before all models were activated, we would roll a die to see who would get to move the light source:

1-7 Jackal player may move the source D6 inches
8-14 Wolf player may move the source D6 inches
15-20 Source moves D6 inches in a random direction (roll for deviation)

During the turn, a player could forfeit one of his warbands´ or individuals´ activation (causing that unit to do nothing that turn) to instead move the light source D6 inches, but it would move in a random direction so this was really intended as a desperate measure.

We also ruled that a Waiting model in cover of darkness, when charged from a lighted area, would count as Braced. That a Hidden model in cover of darkness would be at -4 to spot. And that if the candle went out and couldn´t be relighted the rest of the game would be fought in complete darkness.

Björn and I both love to play close to the spirit of the game, so there is no need for army restrictions between us. We also reckoned that the game would be fun whether it was to be an old-fashioned melée or a long range archery duel, so we lifted the restriction on missile warbands. I was going to play a Wolf clan patrol; Björn was going to field a Jackal-themed army for the Devout.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:54:43 AM by Horned Owl »

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:54:05 AM »

THE WOLF CLAN PATROL

Scavenger

Wolven Scout Pack
- 4 Wolven Scout Warriors
- 1 Leader

Wolven Scout Pack
- 4 Wolven Scout Warriors
- 1 Leader

Wolven Axe Warband
- 4 Wolven Axe Warriors
- 1 Leader

Wolven Axe Warband
- 4 Wolven Axe Warriors
- 1 Leader

Tunnel Fighter Warband
4 Tunnel Fighters
1 Musician
1 Leader

Wolf Clan Keeper

Wolven Blood Totem

In keeping with the need for stealth and swiftness, Ruegar´s patrol was going to be a small hand-picked force. My obvious choice were a Scavenger to lead the hunt, and two Wolf scout packs, expert hunters and trackers in the dark recesses of the Labyrinth. The Jackal Clan are not exactly noted for their bravery, so the howling of their pursuers would hopefully fill their little black hearts with fear. With them went a small band of tunnel fighters. Their knowledge of the secret passageways would guide the scout packs to their quarry.

A Wolven blood totem and its keeper accompanied the patrol, like a giant loping bloodhound hot on the trail. I included it mainly because the imagery appealed to me, not for any tactical reason. The keeper was accompanied by two warbands of Wolven axemen. Their skill at stealth, though not as vaunted as that of the scouts, would allow them to keep to the shadows and stalk their opponents. If worse came to worst I could use them as a screen for the Scouts or get them stuck in in preparation for the Totem´s charge.

All in all, I expected to be outnumbered by the Jackal force by at least two to one, but my Dwarves felt confident that the advantage of stealth and shadows would allow them to defeat their hated enemy.

-----

THE JACKAL HOST

Jackal Clan Scout

Jackal Clan Scout

Jackal Clan Scout

Jackal Crossbow Warband

4 Jackal Crossbowmen
1 Leader

Jackal Crossbow Warband
4 Jackal Crossbowmen
1 Leader

Jackal Crossbow Warband
4 Jackal Crossbowmen
1 Leader

Jackal Crossbow Warband
4 Jackal Crossbowmen
1 Leader

Tunnel Fighter Warband

4 Tunnel Fighters
1 Musician
1 Champion
1 Leader

Wailer Pack
4 Wailers

Necromancer

with Quicken Undead, and Summon Undead, I think

Risen Warband
8 Risen Dwarf Swordsmen

Risen Warband
8 Risen Dwarf Crossbowmen

The Jackal Clan had sent quite a number of their Crossbowmen marching into the Feral Dark, to join Lökoth´s armies in the south. With them went three scouts and a pack of tunnel fighters to lead the way and guide them along routes that were seldom travelled (we had agreed beforehand that the Jackal force would have access to the generic Dwarven troops). There were a few of Lökoth´s beast-like Wailers, as much at home in the caverns as they are in the baking sun above. And since they would be passing the ancient burial grounds where many Dwarven heroes of old had been put to rest, a Necromancer accompanied the host, to swell their numbers as they marched. Already he had raised two warbands of Dwarven skeletons – although whether those had been valiant defenders overwhelmed by the host on their march, or simply the remnants of those Jackals who had tried to evade the muster, remained in doubt.

Large as it was, this contingent was but part of a much larger host – having been separated from the main force in the winding mazes of the Labyrinth.

---

Ouch! This was quite a number of crossbow quarrels that would be coming my way if I didn´t manage to stick to the shadows. Björn obviously meant to parody my anticipated army setup, setting his Wailers´ howl against my Wolven scouts. I would have to hope that the vaunted Wolven discipline would hold. The fact that his Risen were all Dwarves – and the implied threat – was not lost on me. That kind of subtlety is one of the reasons I love to play against the man.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:38:16 PM by Horned Owl »

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:18:12 AM »
We deployed in secrecy using a screen of boxes along the middle of the tabletop, not bothering with unit cards.

---

Turn 1 saw a lot of movement from both sides. I had thrown most of my troops on my left, hoping to outflank the Jackal. Björn had placed his crossbowmen in a staggered pattern on the left and right so they could watch each others´ backs. The skeletons held the center and were positioned brazenly in the light. Behind them the Wailers lurked. Far ahead of them, behind a large formation of rocks, his Tunnel fighters had take the center. Seeing that my force massed on his right, he sent his Scouts down his left flank, darting into the shadow of a large rock needle. All his Crossbows went into hiding.

My own scouts stealthily brought up the vanguard, hugging close to the base of large rock formations. The closer one got to the source of light, the less shadows there were to hide in. Being close to the rocks meant that even if the light source moved, they stood a good chance of remaining in the shadows. My Totem, Keeper and one of the axemen warbands angled toward the left. Since they were well out of range of the crossbows, I didn´t bother to hide them. The other Wolven axes crept towards his Tunnel fighters who threatened my right flank, going into hiding.

Björn forfeited activation on both of his Skeleton units, the Necromancer and two crossbow warbands to move the source, which promptly moved towards his own lines, exposing a few Jackals, then to his left and putting the Skeletons in the shade, then back towards me. This left one of my Scouts in the open, who was promptly spotted. Three crossbow bolts struck the rocks close to his position, and one glanced off his shoulder pad.

My Tunnel fighters had deployed on Björn´s right. They had moved towards the enemy and gone on Wait, hefting their throwing spears meaningfully. Their presence had already paid off as they had prevented two of the Jackals´ crossbow packs from moving to the flank and getting a better line of sight to my Scouts.

After nearly overlooking some of the units in the shadow, we dug out some "glow in the dark" dice and took to marking units´ positions with them.

---

At the start of Turn 2, the light source moved again, nearly exposing one entire pack of Scouts. Having won initiative, I was faced with the decision of either stopping my advance and moving back into the shadows, or running the gauntlet of three crossbow packs. I compromised and moved them to the left, into the cover of a small rock formation, and put them on Wait. The unfortunate Scout that had given away the unit last turn had to take a move action to get back into command distance before going into hiding again. The Jackals, on Wait, sniped at him, but failed to hit him in the gloom.

The decision proved to be a wise one since Björn moved the light source again (forfeiting his skeletons´ activation), which promptly moved toward my position and exposed the area I had meant to take cover in. The giant needle of rock in the center suddenly threw a long shadow, allowing my Wolven Axe to get close to the Jackal scouts and Tunnel fighters. I sent my Totem after them to watch their backs against the inevitable flanking move by the Jackal scouts. The Keeper followed the Scouts towards the enemy crossbows.

My other Scout unit infiltrated forward and finally got range to the foremost Jackal crossbowman. Having just fired from Wait, he had given away his position, and despite being in the shadow he was killed with the second shot. First blood!

Björn moved the light source again (his skeletons probably weren´t Raised at all. I was starting to suspect they were just dummies propped up on stakes). It moved one meager inch, not enough to expose my Scouts, but suddenly one of his crossbow packs had two Dwarves in the open. My Tunnel fighters promptly spotted them and stuck throwing spears in them. The Necromancer forfeited, and the light source suddenly raced six inches towards the Jackal Scouts who suddenly felt horribly exposed – as did the Wolven Axe threatening them. They were spotted by the Scouts and crossbows, and the tunnel fighters rushed forward and started throwing spears. Then the crossbowmen opened up at long range. Two of the axemen fell down, one with a quarrel through his eye (on a roll of 1, no less), and one whose chest suddenly sprouted a spear.

---

On Turn 3, the source again drifted a single peaceful inch. By that time, the left corner (from my position) was deep in shadows. Both my Scout packs began howling, and the three units of crossbows and one Jackal scout in range were all visibly shaken. The hunt was up! The hand crossbows sang as the Dwarves fired wildly into the shadows. One Jackal crossbowman was hit and killed (more by chance but by design). The second pack managed to spot and kill one Scout with a few well-placed quarrels.

My axemen were butchered in the open ground as the Jackal Tunnel fighters and crossbows opened up again. In response, the Totem went into a loping run and pounced from the shadows, killing the second Scout, the Keeper following up and guarding its back. The second axe warband ran up in support of the Scout packs.

The Wailers continued their drift towards the flank to give the Wolf Scouts a taste of their own medicine. Their terrible piercing cries echoed through the cavern, but the Dwarves stood their ground resolutely. The Necromancer hissed the syllables of a spell, and the Skeletons jerked into sudden action, firing at the Totem in the shadows. It howled with rage and pain as a bolt embedded itself in its flank. A swarm of small, dark creatures descended on the Jackal Scout, and, stripped of his flesh, he rose again to fulfill his duty to his dark master and revenge himself on the Dwarven god-beast.

The shaken Jackal crossbowmen were hit again as my Tunnel fighters charged them and gave them a good mauling. In true Jackal fashion, the remaining Leader fled in panic.

---

On Turn 4 the shadows jerked around as the glowing swarm was thrown into a frenzy of movement by the echoing howls and the smell of blood. The Wolf Totem and its skeletal opponent were suddenly thrown into sharp relief. The Jackal crossbows opened up again, rattling a few bolts through their comrade´s ribcage and wounding the Totem again. The Keeper was thrown into the first convulsions of his change. Armour popped and leather rent as he transformed into a hulking beast. The Totem struck down the Skeleton, roaring victoriously, but then the last Jackal scout dropped on its back, stabbing it again and again with his claws. Rising from the bloodied carcass, he ducked into hiding again.

The Scouts moved in on the demoralised Crossbowmen, braving the ineffectual return fire from the few that had managed to go on Wait. Striking suddenly from hiding, their hand crossbows and axes made short work of the warband. The craven Jackals turned and fled but were struck down to a man. The victors managed to take a few shots into the shadow where they suspected the second crossbow pack to be.

In the shadows of the center, the remaining Wolven axe crept forward and hid themselves again, but their position was spotted by the Jackal tunnel fighters who ventured a few spears in the dark. Their dark master must have smiled on them, because one of the spears found its mark (on a roll of 1). The Wolf slumped against his comrades with the spear sticking out of his neck-guard.

On the crumbling flank, the Necromancer started hissing again, but his spell failed and the skeletons merely plodded forward. A dead Jackal crossbowman was flayed by the shadowy beasts and rose, blocking the path of the Scouts. The Wailers screamed again in the dark, dismaying the scouts on the right, and positioned themselves within charge distance.

---

A sudden about-face by the light source at the start of Turn 5 lit up the Wailers and their cowed opponents. The Wolves won initiative and overcame their fear, charging half-heartedly into the Wailers. The screaming beasts lost one to a crossbow bolt, but their demon-horn blades cut down three of the Wolves in return. The vaunted Wolf courage held, and the two survivors grimly held on to their axes. Their comrades fared better, routing the last crossbow pack on this flank with hand crossbow fire. The Tunnel fighters raced up to support their brothers who were desperately holding off the Wailers.

The Risen swordsmen again slumped down and refused to move as the swarm circled overhead. The light failed to reveal any of the Dwarves who supported the Keeper, so the Necromancer tried to goad the Risen crossbowmen to greater speed. To no avail – longing for the long sleep of death, the Skeletons remained drowsy. Between them and the remaining Crossbow pack, they failed to spot the Wolven axe or hit the Keeper in the dark. A second Jackal crossbowman shed his skin and flesh and rose, still dripping blood.

The Tunnel fighters went on Wait as the Wolven Axe and the Keeper-Totem descended on them. Thrown spears wounded the Totem, but then the Wolves were among them, striking down two fighters with their two-handed axes. One of the axemen suddenly slumped to the ground as the Jackal Scout stepped out of the shadows and struck from hiding.

---

On Turn 6, the light dipped again, revealing part of the throng of Dwarves in the middle, with the slavering Totem towering over the Tunnel fighters. On my left flank, the Wolven Scouts went into hiding again and shot down the last of the Jackals with well-placed bolts from the darkness. The Wailers´ relentless screaming dismayed their opponents, who were cut down to the last Dwarf. The Tunnel fighters moved towards the center to defend the surviving pack, sending the two Risen crossbowmen back to the grave.

The melee in the center saw all the Jackal Tunnel fighters slain, but after the Necromancer exerted his power, the quickened Risen Crossbowmen and the last Jackals sent over a volley of steel-tipped bolts that killed the Totem instantly. The dead Wolven Axe´s bones rose again and clawed at his erstwhile comrades. The Scout, striking again from hiding, slew one of the axemen. This proved too much, and their nerve broke.

The skeletal swordsmen shambled towards the Wolven scouts.

---

Turn 7 the light died just as the Wailers loped towards the Scouts and screamed at the top of their demonic lungs, dismaying the Tunnel fighters. Threatened by the Wailers and the Risen, and with the Jackal Scout and Crossbow pack sneaking towards them, the remaining Wolves decided that discretion was the better part of valor, and retreated just as the darkness closed in.

This was when I noticed my Scavenger, who had spent the whole game nestled in the shadows in a patch of fungus forest at the base of a spire. What the... ?

As we congratulated each other, we came to the conclusion that Ruegar must have had inadvertently stumbled into a patch of sleep fungus, triggered the spores and slept through the whole ordeal. With the silver-light bats gone, he would have quite a hard time returning home, or catching up with the remains of his patrol!

-------

The game was extremely fun and above all, atmospheric. The lone candle´s light threw areas of stark shadow, and the whole mood it created had us holding our breath at times. I can recommend trying it for atmosphere value alone. Ruegar´s fate shows that it´s hard to keep track of your units (we hadn´t got enough glow-in-the-dark dice to go around). Also, checking stats and rules from time to time required a flashlight. In the end, we established a corner table with the lists and rulebooks and a second candle, and screened it from the main table with a piece of cardboard.

The most difficult thing was establishing where exactly the edge of the shadows lay. Movement would cause the candle to flutter, and sometimes we had to wait until it had calmed again. Several times we weren´t exactly sure whether a model was in the light or in the shadows, so this kind of game needs a relaxed opponent or an arbiter.

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 01:55:19 PM »
Well, I guess I was taken to the cleaners. Björn plays a tight game and has an excellent grasp of tactics. Apart from my Scavenger having dozed off and me rolling a streak of bad dice results, what did I do wrong?

First of all, I should have played more like the board was lit. I had been mesmerised by the way the shadows moved and several times I tried more to stay in the shadow than get some real cover. Sometimes I huddled my Scouts and Axe in the shadow when I could just have walked them behind a rock and be safe. Then the shadow shifted, and I sat on a silver platter for his Crossbows to pick off. I also let the lay of the shadows dictate the path of my advance, which spelled disaster as my force became split. Björn had deployed his crossbowmen in a mutually supporting, staggered pattern and kept them together even as they crumbled under my assault. In the end, I was destroyed piecemeal. Oh well, I take my hat off and look forward to more games!

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:01:09 PM »
And while my selection of mostly small elite troops gave me an edge in actual melee, having more units than me meant that Björn could move the light source around a lot and trap me in the light.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 03:17:25 PM »
Now that's a BATTLE REPORT!!!

Karma button in effect.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 12:54:43 PM »
Nice job there, but I gotta ask that you stop posting your story section in red. It's just too hard to read on that gray background!

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:55:08 AM »
Better?

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 08:23:15 AM »
Much better thanks.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:27:40 PM »
Much better! Thank you.

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 08:45:07 AM »
Your display or theme is probably different from mine... on the white / light gray of mine the red shows up prettily but I have difficulty reading T Prime´s yellow posts. Alright, I´ll stick to black.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 09:09:16 AM »
Karma baby, karma.  I loved this report
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143