Author Topic: Scenario ideas  (Read 11796 times)

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
Scenario ideas
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:46:17 AM »
I noticed with tabletop games in general that I quickly got tired with the basic "line ´em up and advance" setting and started experimenting along more interested lines. Covering the retreat of Firstborn civilians from the outriders of a Devout host, ambushing an Orc / Stygian / Devout slave train and freeing the prisoners, protecting a decadent Obsidian House dignitary from harm as she enjoys a view of the bloodshed done in her name from her lofty palanquin... you get the idea.

To this end I had to come up with invented stats and rules for spooked pack animals, local critters, prisoners of war, dignitaries, brushfire and a multitude of other props.

I loved the idea of playing with the Lava Fields (the Bon-Khur thread), and would love to exchange ideas along this line. I´m sure you all have come up with some creative scenarios at some point in your playing careers. So fire away!
"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
Re: Scenario ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 09:33:46 AM »
I have played some objective/scenario based games:

Blow a bridge spanning a semi-frozen stream
Capture and bring back ammunition box
Capture and hold an industrial complex
Take and hold objective located in the opponents deployment zone in an underground board
Random meteor strikes landing on the table (small or large templates)

I am sure there are plenty of others I am not remembering.

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »
Those were Warzone, I presume, but with a little tweaking should work for Chronopia as well. How did you simulate the semi-frozen river? Skipping ice floes? Or a chance of breaking through the frozen surface when walking across?

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:19:04 AM »
Yes all for Warzone.

The river was frozen solid with a chance of falling in - failing the environmental roll while a any model was on it at the start of a turn was how I think we did it. Of course the rules were agreed upon beofre the start of the game and since it was a newer scenario the "spirit" of the rules existed while playing the game.
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Arthadan

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 03:44:46 PM »
Back in the day I had the idea to make point cost for defensive constructions and siege equipment. Before the game, players agree who will be the defender and who will be the attacker. Then, the defender spends his points on troops and a "construction" to  defend and defensive meassures (boiling oil, rocks to throw down, etc) with no restrictions (he can have a two store tower with massive walls and arrow slits but few troops, for example) and the the attacker (who gets more points) buys his troops and light siege equipment (mantlets, stairs, rams and so but no catapults and warmachines since it's a skirmish game).

Then, you can (and should) go faction-specific with defense and siege equipment to add flavour et voilà. The idea was good, I think but I've never developed it.

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 10:54:19 AM »
I think "that other game company" once published a siege supplement for Warhamster, but it never really caught on. I like the idea of sieges, though. If you come up with some rules that are not too unwieldy, I would love to hear!

I fondly remember a game of Blackbloods against Firstborn taking place on a series of narrow ledges (on several levels of elevation) and rope bridges. The rest of the tabletop represented a deep gorge. We decided to forgo the restriction on missile warbands and have an archery duel. The footing was dangerous, so any run, leap, break away, charge or countercharge forced a Leadership test on the model (on their own Ld, not their leader´s), modified down by their armour minus 20 (1st edition) and up by Strength value. Failure meant the model plunged to their death on the rocks below. Models had to take a similar check if they received a hit, whether they made their armour save or not.

There were a few safe spots where models could take a stand without having to check, but they were few and far between. To top it all off we used Desert climate effects (the battle taking place between Tabukhar´s pathfinders and a Firstborn expeditionary force in the Lands of the Flame), and promptly rolled for desert twisters. They never got around to hitting anyone, but they got in the way of shooting several times and kept the archers on their toes.

We first thought the game was mostly about getting the archers into position, but quickly found that the few close combat warbands that we had taken made most of the difference by taking up key positions on the bridges and forcing the enemy archers to move around. In the end, we lost more models to falling than to any other cause. It was an extremely fun and occasionally nerve-wracking game. Marius finally kicked my Troll off the bridge with his sole remaining longbowman in close combat (the indignity!), allowing his macemen to cross the ravine and go hand-to hand with my remaining Goblin archers.

Goblins proved surprisingly hardy in this game since their low armour gave them a positive modifier on their Ld tests, and their low cost meant that I considered them expendable and took more risks with them. We both were severely disappointed with the performance of our individuals – we had expected them to be able to hold a bridge or ledge on their own, since enemy warbands had to come on one by one on the ledges, but the falling rule made most of them take the plunge before they could do anything worthwhile.

We never got around to try a similar scenario in the far north with the Sons of Kronos – I would have been interested to see if their low armour, climbing and ice warrior ability would have made up for the slingers´ poor range and damage. Also, the Dragon´s Breath or a snowstorm would possibly have given the scenario an interesting new twist.

I also imagine a similar battle could take place in the higher platforms of a Gourd Tree... or (with additional indoor rules) among a set of Elven spires. Flyers could also make a difference.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:17:31 AM »
Coldthunder and I have developed a boarding action game that takes place on megablok ships. We hope to bring it to Talamania this year
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:18:55 AM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »
Boarding action – now there´s a cool idea. Especially between Orc war balloons and Elven skybarges. Excuse me, I just got inspired. Great!

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 12:05:24 AM »
Random meteor strikes look like something one could use in Chronopia when fighting near volcanos – in Lokoth´s backyard for example. What did you use for rules?

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 08:25:51 AM »
We just came up with an idea before the game breaking the board into 4 sections a meteor always hit then deviated. We never really had a chance to playtest it. Came up with the idea of using both small and larger templates depending on the D20 roll and I think we came up with a strength 10 hit with the small and a strength 1 hit under the large.

The entire Capitol Army.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 12:09:23 PM »
Any objective or scenario breaks up the same old same old "kill'em all" battle.  Friday night I got a game in before going out for drinks.  We played Blackbloods versus Wolf Clan Dwarves, and a desert battle was mixed with one simple objective: secure the water source!!

We put two pieces of pond terrain in the middle of the board, with the idea that the most points in the area after turn five was the winner.

We called the game early, but I was doing quite well with a unit of Tunnel Fighters throwing spears and taking out some fast movers.  My Totem did well for a change, and the game probably could have been a loss for me, but we broke early and went out for whisky.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 02:54:06 AM »
(...) but we broke early and went out for whisky.

... and secured the source.  ;)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 05:28:27 AM »
Boarding action – now there´s a cool idea. Especially between Orc war balloons and Elven skybarges. Excuse me, I just got inspired. Great
Ballons vs sky barges is an interesting twist....we have been using regular ships on the Sea of Blood
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »
A rematch was demanded.  Maybe Friday night.   ;D
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 04:36:04 AM »
Keep it coming! I´m sure you´ve all come up with interesting scenarios in the past!

Have you had scenario ideas which sounded fun but which you never got around to playing?