Author Topic: Sons of Kronos - tactics/unit comparison  (Read 17693 times)

Offline Arthadan

• Journeyman
Re: Sons of Kronos - tactics/unit comparison
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 03:33:46 PM »
Viridian Lords are better than either choice.

2 wounds, and they will kill ANYTHING in the game on the charge.

In 1st edition, Viridian Lords + Unliving are one of the strongest combos in SOK. Unliving are immune to missile fire, they move forward and screen
the Viridian Lords.

As far as I remeber, you could chose generic troops and then special troops for one (and only one) clan army. Viridian Lords belong to the Tribe of the Godess and the Unliving belong to the Tribe of the Shadow. So in 1st ed. they can't be part of the same army.

Offline Raga

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »
You are wrong.

Tribe of a Goddes is a mixture od ALL of the units and spells.
Tribe of the Shadow cannot use Blademaidens, Aonbarr Riders Viridian Lords and Chariots as well as Naquad Spells.
Tribe of a Dawn cannot use Unliving, Monarhs, Viridian Lords and Cariots as well as Mother Earth spells.

Chariots and Viridian Lords are exclusive for Tribe of a Goddess.
Let us drink to the power drink to the sound
Thunder and metal are shaking the ground
Drink to your brothers who are never to fall
We're brothers of metal here in the hall

Offline Arthadan

• Journeyman
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 02:16:15 PM »
It has been a long time since I played, I'll check my books just for curiosity.

Offline Horned God

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 01:05:11 AM »
The beserkers are better for using against lower armored, lighter troops like stygian and swamp goblins. You get 2 attacks and have a high attack chance.

The blade maidens have killing stroke but chances are you'll kill a goblin or stygian or other light armored guy with 1 damage roll and the extra killing stroke is largely wasted. Think of berserkers as the Axehorns of the SOK armor, ie they are 2 attacks, Sure it be great if they also had 3 actions. If I had designed the unit I'd have given them 3 AC but isntead they gave them Berserk and the draw back is defensively if you use that and are attacked it makes it that much easier to kill your berserks SO you match them with another unit so that they are the second unit to sweep in and mop up that way no enemy models are there, otherwise expect some big time retailation from the enemy. Also keep them protected from missiles but on the flip side they have a nice defense score

The blade maidens are for cracking open high armored units and operate much like Warhammers and Wolven Axemen, you deal out high damage x2. That is great facing a dwarven Totem but again, on a goblin you more than likely will slit it open in the first armor save it fails and since your model costs 2 to 4 times what the goblin does they will have more goblins thus go with cheap Unliving and Berserks (then your Berserks are protected from missiles) and you can use the unliving as a walking shield.

Another option is those SOK ramparts you can buy, you hide your units behind them.

Offline Buzzu

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »
Ok guys, I think I have the rirght to say something useful here. I used the SOK army in the first edition and NEVER won a battle. I used them in the second edition and the story has changed. My foes are very skilled players, and they use extremely powerful armies such as devouts and blackbloods.
What I learnt about SOK combos to use is the following:

BERSERKERS
Berserkers are very expensive, their armor is ridiculous, and the real danger (as for all the army) is not the risk of arrows but the template attacks. A soulflayer deleted my berserker wb just landing in front of them and blowing its fire. Flambč. Five models, more than 250pts burnt in one action. In the same battle, anyway, I made my enemy shiver by killing the soulflayer with this combo: a gust of wind to crush it on the ground, savage roots (12 damage residual is not a joke) and the coup de grace of the Monarch, leaping in charge with it's terrific damage.
So, I'm very skeptic about berserkers, whose real strenght lies probably in the "indomitable will" against certain spells. I have yet to appreciate them.

BLADE MAIDENS
To tell you the truth, I often prefer to place heartguard instead of blade maidens. Ok, the maidens are steadfast and have killing stroke, but the damage of a heartguard is high enough to do the work, and their cost is a lot lower.

TRIBE WARRIORS
Tribe warriors are something completely different in use. Remember that a thrown weapon can be thrown in countercharge (or a stand fast action) BEFORE any other attack, including trample. In an army with a low armor, trample is one of the worst things to face after template effects. But a warband of warriors on wait can throw the spear before being smashed. The high LD of the troops often leads to win the countercharge and attack first. Also, you should remember that the spears are no more something you throw on charge only, like in the first edition, but something you can throw six inches away! This means you can attack units at nine inches of distance by moving one action and throw the spear. The damage is low, ok, and there is not the x2 modifier of the first edition, but it's always a possibility. The sword damage is low too, but don't forget they're made for charging (or countercharging) and this means they have a damage of nine (ferocity), which is not so bad.
Last but not least, mini warbands of warriors (two plus a leader) are the cheapest group you can place on the field to get a great number of heroes, when required.

And here i suggest you my favourite combos.

I don't like to play the allies of the tribes with pieces like chronomancers or necromancers. I'm playing SOK army with some help, not devouts with savage troops or Firstborns with nude warriors. So I reduced to the minimum the integrations of allied troops. But the minimum has to be intelligent.

SHADOW TRIBE:
You MUST play the Unholy Champion with its standard. It has the same cost (standard included) of a Monarch, but it grants you the following: The increased command distance means you can build a line of twelve unlivings with the champion in the middle. This is your anti-arrows shield. The standard gives you one inch more of movement; this means your unlivings march at a standard rate of three, not two, and it's something very important for a unit who cannot run. Lastly, it adds a point to the strenght. If you want to get a boost to the army, get in some cursed instead of the heartguard. Same cost, but with the standard of the champion they have a movement of four and a damage of fifteen. In a 1000pts army you can place the Unholy with standard and seven cursed. There's still place for a wird, a Monarch, a little wb of heartguard or berserkers... Try it.

TRIBE OF THE DAWN:
The tribe of the dawn has the best combo, in my opinion, by using three heroes from the firstborn, and I usually match them with the proper warband. A judge placed close to a wb of heartguard will prevent them from panic, and adds a final blow to their charges.
A repulsar knight with a wb of warriors will grant an improved skill of 15 CC and 10 RC, and placed behind them can do his work in case of powerful heroes charging the wb (such as the hated ogre mirmidon bull cavalry with its tremendous trample).
The Night Walker is perfect to be placed close to an inflitrated unit of slingers. It has no commanding presence, ok, but he can hide in outmaneuver with them and protect them in melee when they emerge with the proper cursed shot (always use a cursed shot, they gave a completely new power to the slingers!!!).
No one more than this three elements. In some battles, where to inflict fear can be important but you don't want to loose your ice and forest abilityes, you can consider the possibility to place on field even a warband of burning blades, maybe accompanied by the repulsar. But they're quite expensive.

TRIBE OF THE GODDESS:
If you're using the tribe of the goddess, the chariot is something cool; move it towards the wbs of basic soldiers to have fun. Be careful of arrows. A blessing of the goddess on it, is a wise choice. Viridians are very strong but very expensive too, even if a throwing damage of 15 is something awesome. The champion, instead, is a killing machine but a very bad commander, he can give orders to no one in the army (so I wonder why it has commanding presence), that's why I always prefer a blade maiden champion if I have to choose between the two.

The only piece I'm very deluded of, in the passage from the first to the second edition, is the hunter. Before, he was a very cheap and useful hero, I always had one (or more) on the battlefield, with or without dogs and hawks. Now, it costs more than a judge but with a ridiculous damage. I use it no more unless I need the beasts to be placed (particularly the hawks, to fight against other flying creatures or to fly high over the enemy army to duck down on the magician (the stigian priestess, for instance, having them no archers to pierce my hawks in flight...)

Ok, forgive me for the lenght, but SOK became definetly my favourite army in the second edition and I hope I gave some useful ideas to the others who like 'em too.

Cheers.

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »
It's been a long while and i didn't have the opportunity to play Chronopia since, but my main opponent has an elven army, and typically loves the red lotus units. The Red lotus eater and warrior of the sun are serious banes of all things SoK...or so it seems; i can't do much against Ring of Fire.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:06:24 AM by Oakwolf »

Offline Buzzu

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 04:53:52 AM »
Template damage is the pain in the back of a SOK army. Sok units have a marvelous def but it's no use against a template attack, so they suck. Even with a line of unliving, being the fire a residual damage, they will be killed easily with the ring of fire, or the explosion effect of a warrior of the sun.
I think your opponent chose the worst army to deal with for you. The only thing you shoul try is the following: don't use elite troops. Fill the field of units of tribe warriors and heartguards, and place the horn with magic protection. If you're playing more than 1000 points, place two wirds. Tribe of the goddess will grant you the chance of palying savage roots and spear of Llyr. Target the warriors of the sun and lotus eaters with the first as soon as you can, and archers or linemens like swordsmen with the second. If you like, and there are not too many archers, place the warhawks and duck down to the magicians. You can even try to hide your slingers with the appropriate cursed shot, but it's a weak hope. Keep the horns at the bottom of the wb (so that your opponent's archers are compelled to aim to others before killing them) and run. Charge blindly and cover the distance. You will never have a number of pieces higher than an elf, yours are too expensive and the elves are cheap, but if you manage to slain down the warrior of the sun and the lotus eater, the others will give you few matters to be sweeped away by your units.

Good luck.

Offline dane

• Board Member
  • The Board
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 09:33:27 AM »
I have had consistent success with a Repulsar Knight marksman and a small squad of firstborn archers. can usually fit this into a 750 + size force of Dawn.

They out range the troops that threaten the blademaidens during the approach, so they are forced to split attention, sometimes that is all you need to get them into the 10" run/charge kill zone.

this is by no means answer to all things, but I do love my Repuslar sniper....

Bill
We are all who we say we are. So long as our actions are the same as our words.

Mishima prophet