Author Topic: Painting White?  (Read 15552 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: Painting White?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 12:33:50 AM »

I always undercoat in black and I find thats the best way to get a good white.

Uh, you're kidding right?
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 03:30:41 AM »

I always undercoat in black and I find thats the best way to get a good white.

Uh, you're kidding right?
I almost always undercoat black and it's no problem doing whites that way. You may have to do an extra layer of white but that's nt a problem really since you should try to do several thin layers anyway.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 05:18:56 AM »
With a layer of gray (or blue or bleached bone) between the white and black.
and if I want to take my time with a model I'll use 2 different shades of the inbetween color.

on a sidenote: dry brushing is your friend
                        and when I undercoat in black:
                        1. use white primer
                        2. chaos black mix with black ink (about a 40-60mix) for my
                            undercoat

I'm sorry I should have worded my last post better :-[
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 05:33:48 AM by masherking »
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 08:42:50 PM »
Unless it's a figure that is predominately dark or metallica I always prime in white; it is much easier to go from light to dark than the other way around.

Grey IMHO is worthless for either; it kills color, is almost as bad for white as black, and is worthless for metallics.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 10:13:37 PM »
I prime white then do a dark undercoat for Metalics or blacks.

It gives my mini's a very StormTrooper appeal while they're waiting for thier turn on the Turner Technicolorization machine.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Gubs

• Prophet Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 08:22:10 AM »
You can always start off with white and it give it a wash or glaze of grey.

Offline semai99

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2006, 11:13:52 AM »
I've painted a lot of small scale figures 10mm and I've used a mixture of primers.

Sometimes I spray black and drybrush white (which leaves black in the folds) then apply thin paint building each layer up in colour

or

I undercoat white then I have a mixture I apply (its brown ink water & washing up liquid) this slightly stains the figure a light brown but the main pigment settles in the folds (this is the washing up liquid which makes it flow rather than settle on the surfaces) giving dark brown shadows then apply a thin layer of each colour again.

Both of these methods I have found work very well in 10mm scale but I've yet to get it to work in the larger 25mm scale in a suitable finish that I'm happy with. This is why I was asking about how everyone else paints white as you can get away with it in 10mm  ;D
I came, I saw, I ran away

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2006, 11:21:36 AM »
I've not had much success with that method either semai99.  I tried the speed painting method of priming black, drybrushin the entire figure white then drybrushing the desired colors into the appropriate areas as well.

niether quite gave me what i wanted.

Better people than I have got it down to a science but that's what Undead Legionarres are for, you can't screw them up.

-PFC joe

Offline semai99

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2006, 11:29:37 AM »
Your not wrong there PFC Joe   ;D  the undead legionarres might just get that treatment as they are supposed to look a little streeky in colours. I must confess though I do tend to drush brush alot I'm just finishing of some Imperial tenchers at the moment but unsure as to finishing of the bases do I go green as normal or do I make it look like mud?  ???

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2006, 03:10:58 AM »
Plus they're already dead so they don't mind if they have a bad paint job.

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2006, 05:18:45 AM »
well, you never know, they might still bite you! and you know where that'll take you! ;D

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2006, 10:42:31 AM »
My usual method for painting white (if I want it to be brilliant white, not ivory or bone-like white) is to paint the area with that company who must not be named's "Ghostly Grey". I then do the shadows with a little more bluish version of the Ghostly Grey and then paint the highlights in White. It gives a fairly bright and rich look and the white really "pops" instead of looking dingy. This isn't what you'd always want, but on something like a brotherhood cloak, etc, it's given me some very nice results.
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2006, 10:45:04 AM »
I think I see a Painting contest based around White and its use on BrotherHood figures.

-PFC joe

Offline semai99

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2006, 11:44:40 AM »
Painting white robes is one thing but painting white armour that looks good is another   ;D

I'm just photographing some of my minis at the moment and will add them to my displaced minis page when I've finished.

With over 350 painted figures  ;D  to date from most forces, I really need to finsh an entire force off and add some details to some of the finshed figures ie company marking etc. I've done it for some but not the 40 D Milita as of yet.