Author Topic: Needed changes in UWZ 3rd Edition.  (Read 27358 times)

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
Re: Needed changes in UWZ 3rd Edition.
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2006, 03:14:06 PM »

BTW there comes another question to me about the paras.

At what time can they be deployed?
Ok I can call them in on my turn if I want to, thatīs clear. BUT do I have to follow my order of activation, or can I just drop them after all other units have acted?
Meaning, do I have to follow my activations and have the last opportunity in my turn following the last already fielded unit?

I would say yes, but the other option would leave far more possibilities.
Any other opinions?

We had a thread on this very topic as I had the same question. Here is a response that made sense:

I think the answer is actually a very simple one, one that I have been following since I have played this game and "paradeploy" was a part of it.

If you pass at any time during a turn when it would be your normal time to activate a unit you have declared that you are done activating units for that turn.  You cannot bring in any offboard units after you have passed regardless of how many activations your enemy has left.

Offboard units = para-deploys and unseen assailants.  Keep in mind that, I don't think "pass" is even a game term, but I can't think of any other term to use to describe the process of NOT bringing in any offboard troops.

So to make another example:

Coil has 10 units
Wedge has 9 units (3 of which are paradeploy units)
Coil wins initiative and goes first
Play alternates until Coil activates 6 units and Wedge activates 6 units as well.
Wedge has activated all his on board units hoping to save his paradeploy units for the end of the turn
Coil activates his 7th unit on the table
Wedge is now forced to decide if he wants to bring in one of his paradeploy units or pass.  If he passes he his done for the turn and cannot bring in any more units.

This is how I have interpretted the current rules.

However, having said ALL this... I think that this is HOW it could/should work:

Since we use deployment cards we can use them to fake out our enemy right?  Well, in the game of Chronopia you can use DC's to make your enemy THINK you have stalkers, or units with outmaneuver... why can't you do the same thing in Warzone?  What I mean is this:  Keep a DC aside for each of your paradeploy units.  When it comes your turn to activate one of them you can reveal the card and say, "I am activating this unit of paradeployers".  If you do not want to activate them, you can simply place the card face down on the table somewhere and say, "This unit of paradeployer's is going to PASS this turn and not deploy".  This way you can bluff your opponent if you DON'T have paradeploy units in your army (using a False Lead), or you can actually pass with a real unit and hold off on bringing them in.  The balance is that the opponent of the person with the paradeploy units will not be out activated at the end of the turn.  HE won't have to face someone bringing in multiple paradeploy units at the the end of the turn in succession.  IMHO, this tactic simply is unbalanced; it isn't fair by any standard.  Using the DC's the way I have described would be much more balanced.

Hope this helps

Here is the whole thread in case you are interested.
http://forum54.oli.us/index.php?topic=209.0

Philly
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem