Author Topic: witch is better ?first edition or the new one  (Read 9786 times)

Offline master of muppets

witch is better ?first edition or the new one
« on: October 19, 2010, 02:23:32 PM »
i like the target games edition very balanced but very differnt armies
the rules were simple to learn but created a great battle feel

the new one seems to have to much fluff rules that dont make much diff in the game
also the changeing of the stats seems unnessary

but thats just me what do you think ?

Offline Oakwolf

Re: witch is better ?first edition or the new one
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 03:21:24 PM »
Well...the first books were definitely more artistic, and immersive in a way.

That said, i think that they hit the nail with the 2nd one when it comes to gameplay, but i'll let more experienced players fill you up :)

Offline MassDistortion

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 03:25:38 PM »
My buds and I all play 1st edition and prefer it. We've been playing since 1998 or so and earlier with Warzone. I enjoy the gameplay mechanics a lot more and the combat system. I feel they were trying to appeal to the warhammer crowd more with 2nd edition

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 03:46:11 PM »
I have yet to play a game of 2nd edition, but reading through the rules I'm not sure which I like more. I've played many games of 1st edition, so there are some things I don't like that were changed. There are other things that were good changes. I definitely like the artwork more in 1st edition, but then most of the 2nd edition artwork wasn't new artwork. It just didn't translate into the low resolution black and white pictures as printed in the book. I could have done without the color inserts in 2nd edition as they are low res and not printed on paper appropriate for color photos. They should have printed them at a higher resolution and on glossy paper. The art in 2nd edition is just missing something as is. Unlike most other people I'm not really keen on many of the miniatures Excalibur produced with some exceptions. Many of them are soft and the detail isn't sharp and I don't think they have the "Chronopia" feel to them.

Until I actually play a game of 2nd edition I can't say for sure though. Up until about 6 months ago I only had a Devout force assembled. I had enough Firstborn and SoK for a small force, but not much else. Then I saw Prince August with their 30% off sale and fleshed out my Firstborn, Sok, and Devout forces. I also picked up a Dwarf and Stygian force since then, so I guess I need to get more assembled and painted so I can play some 2nd edition.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:46:07 AM »
I've only played second edition, and I'm happy with it.  I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they had played the first edition. 

Whatever edition you play, you are welcome to discuss on these boards.

Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:55:27 AM »
I have played 1st edition and third edition (ultimate). I greatly prefer third edition.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Oakwolf

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 11:55:50 AM »
I have played 1st edition and third edition (ultimate). I greatly prefer third edition.

mmm...There's an ultimate, third edition of Chronopia?  

It almost sounds like you were thinking of warzone when you wrote that  :P
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:58:41 AM by Oakwolf »

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 06:10:20 PM »
Shifty Tim can be flaky sometimes!!   ::)
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 08:05:48 AM »
Ooops you are right. I like second edition Chronopia better. I have not played it alot but that is my opinion.

BTW I will roll for initiative for our next game now.

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline master of muppets

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 06:43:55 PM »
just to clear it up
1ed = made by target games
not the expansions ,sons and two rivers etc

i have played a few games of the new one but it i reckon that mass distortion is right it is trying to appeal to warhammer playrs

Offline Firstborn

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 11:44:36 PM »
I have played both versions extensively, and can say with certainty that 1st Edition is the better game.

It is more elegant from a rules perspective, and is more balanced. 2nd Edition seemed to take things
that certain players found "annoying" and changed them.

Some of the things that I feel are inferior in 2nd Edition include:

You must roll a LD test when charging from wait. This is unnecessary, and changes one of the elegant mechanics
of Chronopia for no good reason.

Missile fire was reduced in power too excessively. Missile fire should be deadly, but can be countered by using a good
terrain assortment and solid tactics. The missile fire reduction was way overboard, and occurred in 3 areas: RC stats were
reduced across the board, DAM stats were reduced, and they added a stupid medium range statistic. Combine this with
giving the Soul Flayer 5 wounds, and the elegant balance of the system is quickly compromised.

Too many of the core stats of the figures were unnecessarily adjusted. Many of the key units that were balanced were reduced
in power, and many of the more powerful units were increased in power. Some specific examples:

Iron Guard - Reduced in power. They should not have been, and are one of the key units in the Firstborn army. In 2nd Edition they
are worthless from a point perspective, as Black Sisters are the superior choice every time.

Goblin Swordmasters - Reduced from 3 actions to 2. Completely unnecessary and irritating.

Soul Flayer - Increased to 5 wounds from 4. Also now causes Dread, a type of "Super Fear"
Completely unnecessary, as the demon is already powerful enough.

Dragonskull Warriors - Increased to 2 wounds from 1. I have no idea how this passed the QA process. Obsidian Serpent elves were
already the most powerful of the elven houses. It was completely inappropriate (and un-balanced) to give Dragon Skull warriors 2
wounds. It is almost like running a squad of special characters in an already top-tier army.

Chronomancer - Decreased in power; cannot active other units after interrupting. I completely disagree with this, as this is a key
ability of the Chronomancer and added a lot of flavor to the Firstborn army. I think one of the play testers whined about this to
the point they gave in. Bad move.

Wyrd - Decreased in power as the vine templates were reduced in size. I still have a sour taste over this one. I believe the driver on this
is they ran out of room for the glossy paper in the back of the book, and as a cost savings the templates were reduced in size.

The whole Fear - Dread - Horror rules are a mess. Fear is enough from a game perspective. The Soul Flayer is really the only model benefitting
from Dread, and makes it even more broken than it already is.

Another thing I don't like about 2nd Edition is the stupid ST+X weapon terminology. Maybe it is just me, but I much prefer the more elegant
way 1st Edition gave a straight number for each weapon.

Chronopia: War In The Eternal Realm (aka Chronopia 2nd Edition) is still a great game, light years ahead of anything produced on the current
market. That being said, it is a shadow of Chronopia: Dark Fantasy Miniature Battles (aka Chronopia 1st Edition).
Chronopia - The best fantasy miniature wargame ever made

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 06:16:10 PM »
Firstborn echoes some of my thoughts exactly. I prefer 1st to 2nd as it feels more balanced (subjectively), but tend to use some of the 2nd editions´ changes as house rules, notably unit card deployment and running.
"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 05:11:24 AM »
I have loved each version and have been reluctant to try the new one when it came out but everytime I did I liked the game even more.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 09:35:28 AM »
First ed. far and away! loved it so very much along with 1st ed warzone..such good memories :)

ah the good old days

Offline Horned Owl

• Hoot!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 10:31:57 AM »
Having started with 1st edition and enjoyed many, many games with it, I´m also biased. Sort of.
"How was I supposed to know he was an unarmed man? His back was to me."