Author Topic: Earthbound models attacking an airborne one  (Read 7714 times)

Offline Arthadan

• Journeyman
Earthbound models attacking an airborne one
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:52:52 AM »
Hi all,

In the revised flying rules from the Cerulean Mists, I've found this:

The only way that a Flying Model may engage, or be engaged, in Close Combat is if it is either Earthbound, struck by another flying model or confronted with a model whose SZ or elevation places it on the same altitude level as the flyer. Measuring the height the model is at and comparing it to the altitude of the flyer determine the elevation of a model. If they height matches the altitude and the model can move into CC it may attack.

Example: An Ogre Deathseeker is on the third level of a shattered tower which has an Altitude of 12 (or is 12” up). His troops are below him being assaulted by a Flying Dragonbane that is passing near him. Should the Flying Dragonbane pass within 1” of the tower the Ogre may come off Wait (Countercharge) to strike at it physically. If that Ogre had a pole arm with an additional one inch reach, it could attack if the Dragonbane came within 2".

My question is, regarding this example, if the Ogre is on a tower (Altitude 12) and the Flying Dragonbane is attacking the Ogre's troops on the ground, how's possible they have the same Altitude so the Ogre can attack the Flying Dragonbane?

Can someone explain it to me, please?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Earthbound models attacking an airborne one
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:28:50 AM »
Give me a little time to go over that one.  The revised flying rules were supposed to make things easier!!  Apparently they didn't get the editing they needed. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 09:56:52 AM »
From the quote the word assault isn't use as GW's close cobat assault. It just means being attacked byif it was on the ground it would say engaged in CC.  It states that the flyer is near the Ogre.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Arthadan

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 03:56:53 PM »
I assume the Flying Dragonbane begins its movement action at an Altitude greater or equal to 12, so if it passes at 1" to the tower while descending to attack the troops on the ground, the Ogre may come out of waiting and countercharging it.

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »
Where can I find the flying rules from Cerulean Mists?

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 07:03:09 PM »
In the Chronopia FAQ's section.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 03:27:25 PM »
The word "assaulted" should not be meant as in CC.  If the Dragonbane gets within the Ogre's reach while manoevering to attack, then compare the height.

The flying rules really meant just using a d20 next to the flyer to determine if a model either on elevation, or on the ground could attack it.

Offline Horned God

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:35:08 PM »
Did you guys change the flying rules to fit with UWZ. I see you use the term 'altitude'. Basically it means 1 inch = 1 altitude. So 12 altitude = 12 inches above the ground and you measure the vertical and horizontal distance for range, but it is a CC attack you want to make then you need to fall in the same altitude. So if your big Sisters of Tiamat reaches 4 inches up and has a 2 inch reach then she can bite a flying model up to altitude 6 as long as she can get in base to base or like altitude 4 and within 2 inches such as if a goblin is standing on a ledge on a piece of terrain that is 4 inches above the base ground level for the game table.

At least that is how I understand it. Instead of range bands that = 3 inches per band its broken into altitude = inches. I like it. It makes flying models neat. You can list 3/5 for movement and a max altitude if you wish like 15 if you want. For example, a hovering mini like a Drone Rider might only be able to go up to altitude 15 but a demon wing is limited to altitude 12. Why? because somethings you only want to have limited or hovering flight.

Do I like fliers? Well, I like the Soulflayer, demon wings, drones, drone shaman, and ophidian if that tells you anything.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 07:52:16 AM »
I think Thom changed the flying rules to streamline the two games.  As primarily a Chronopia player, I've found they work just fine this way.