Author Topic: Mantic Games Plastic Cases - Review on my Blog  (Read 7277 times)

Offline Glenn M

Mantic Games Plastic Cases - Review on my Blog
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:52:34 AM »
http://thefacelessking.blogspot.com/2010/05/review-of-mantic-games-plastic-cases.html

I got an order of plastic cases from Mantic Games today, and so I reviewed them for everyone, hope you enjoy, this is my first real review, so comments would be helpful.

I supplemented my original blog post with some pictures of the cases with sleeve art. 
Here are those pictures as they are mostly Chronopia.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:44:24 PM by Glenn M »

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
Re: Mantic Games Plastic Cases - Review on my Blog
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 05:34:02 PM »
Sharp looking boxes!   Good job on the cover art. 
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 04:47:53 AM »
Now that is neat.
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »
Great work!
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Horned God

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 09:04:02 PM »
The best mini cases are to buy something like Battlefoam or something similar. OR make your own.

I did the latter. I got cases that are plastic tool boxes from different sources (like Lowes, home depot). I then find a Packing Company that sells large sheets of foam and other materials. They normally have a minimum of 25 dollars. A sheet of foam isn't that much from them compared to foam at a retail store. What they charge a lot for is the first cut and then easy other cut is much less; like 20 dollars for the first cut, 60 cents each additional cut or something like that if memory serves me. So I buy 1 cut and then I take my exacto knife and cut the sheet in half normally, then later on I cut out just what I need into the sizes. Then I further reduce as needed, use cardboard sheets I cut up and yes they sell big sheets of that too I can cut up once I meet he minimum so I don't have them cut it, I do that. I then buy Super 77 spray glue and work the magic by cutting each opening for a mini to fit that mini and when I'm done I spray the bottom and attach. If I need a cushioned bottom I add that and normally I found getting a 1 inch cut foam works best unless I layer it then 1/2 or 3/4 inch. Yes you can get it thicker but coring out foam isn't easy.

It takes a tiny bit of trial and error but the cool thing about my cases are: they are easy to transport as if they are larger I get the ones with wheels, otherwise I just buy the ones that are 5, 10, or 15 dollars. They can roll over and all the minis inside are well protected. I have had that happen and was surprised none of them were damaged. Custom fitting works brilliantly!  When I alter them as I have in the past I normally have enough foam to re-case the foam as I need but save the ones I did and find ways to use them.

Sure I'd love some Battlefoam case but I can make my own, still I might buy one of those to try it and see if I really do like it more than my 'home' made ones. Lastly, I got a great little roller dolly that converts flat and to stand up mode for 100 bucks. It means I can wheel in a lot of terrain/minis flat or standing up if needed as it straps down. I then also found some great wheeled carts with like 10 drawers each for all my dwarven forge stuff. I'm mobile and locked and loaded for gaming.

That's my review of my own stuff. You can buy the parts in a store but you'll have to build it yourself. I should add pics so you can see how great these things turned out. PM me if you really want to see a few.

HG