Author Topic: i just won a free cruise!!!  (Read 5416 times)

Offline pinksuezo

i just won a free cruise!!!
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:08:18 AM »
and then the phone representatives (about 4 different of them in a row) INSISTED i buy hotel accommodations, a rental car, and other stuff for before my free cruise.  oh, and then they also said the fees i would immediatley pay to "accept" the package were absolutely nonrefundable. but my actual tickets were free. jerks.  at least they hung up right away when i said i was backing out of accepting it.
REPORT HERESY. IT'S YOUR DUTY.

In Nomine Cardinalis

Offline dave kufner

• The Matrix has you
Re: i just won a free cruise!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »
You NEVER pay for winning anything it's just another SCAM by money takers!
Qui Desiderat Pascem Preperat Bellum

My Blog

Pax

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:19:50 PM »
The guy making this comic: http://goblins.keenspot.com/ had one of those calls as well and made a post about it on his blog. It's quite amusing to read in the end. :)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:21:06 PM »
Whoa!!  I hope that attorney in Nigeria who told me I'm inheriting some cash from a relative who died in a plane crash isn't scamming me!! ???

Glad you didn't get suckered.  I hate thieves.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 05:05:59 PM »
This happens everyday...even in my neck of the woods.  I have never been "lucky" enough to get to talk to one of these douche nozzles but man I have my fingers crossed.

The "newer" scams we are seeing around here are ones where someone sends you a $500.00(sometimes even more) check for some item/cruise win/ lottery win which is way more than the cost.  They will ask you to cash the check for payment and send the difference to some other person at some other location.  Only problem is that when you cash the check it will come back as a bad check and your bank will take the money from your account to make it right.

Now you will have sent the rest of the money off and possibly the item you had for sale to the "scamer".  Heres the "prize" you get
*loss of item/ no cruise /lottery--it never existed but the victims think it does

*loss of the other money sent

*bank sticking you for cashing a bad check---taking out the money from your account to make the bank balance

*paying an extra bank fee for their trouble

*a visit to your local police station to sing your tale of woe to some detective who has to listen to your naivety and thinks you are a dork for reporting this sort of ignorance.  Now I know this may sound mean...and it is...but why would you think someone was sending you extra money only for you to be a good person and send it on to someone else?

I know this sounds crazy but you would be amazed at how many people fall for this kind of thing.

Anyway, beware the "free lunch".
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline pinksuezo

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 05:37:55 PM »
yeah i get scam calls all the time. i just thought this one was legit at first cus i got the you won notice while checking movie times through fandango's phone line.  but yeah it turned out to actually be a discounted cruise package deceptively labelled as a "free cruise." shameless people.
REPORT HERESY. IT'S YOUR DUTY.

In Nomine Cardinalis