Author Topic: Friendly fire with template weapons  (Read 11579 times)

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

Re: Friendly fire with template weapons
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 10:56:00 AM »
Well neither of these are not explicitly stated in the rules so whatever decision you arrive at with the people you play with is cool, and if no amicable conclusion can be reached roll the peacemaker.

As for how I would play it, if there are two models in CC and your cluster effect has not been exceeded you would hit first one, then the other (provided excess cluster effect remained after the first) detirmining which is hit first using the normal method when firing into CC.

I would require models firing a shotgun who's template covered friendly models to make a leadership test for firing on friendly models even though the cluster effect would prevent those models from actually being hit, failure on the leadership check means you cannot.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 12:55:35 PM »
If you are firing a template weapon into CC you hit every model in the CC up until the Cluster Effect.  You do go from the closest target model to the firer out.  If the template covers a friendly you must make the -8 LD test before you can fire.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 05:22:59 PM »
If you are firing a template weapon into CC you hit every model in the CC up until the Cluster Effect.  You do go from the closest target model to the firer out.  If the template covers a friendly you must make the -8 LD test before you can fire.

-PFC joe

Yeah, what he said! ;)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline cS

• Journeyman
  • IMPERIAL Strikes back
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 03:16:06 AM »
If you are firing a template weapon into CC you hit every model in the CC up until the Cluster Effect. You do go from the closest target model to the firer out. If the template covers a friendly you must make the -8 LD test before you can fire.

-PFC joe

Hmm I thought that when you target a enemy model that is in cc with a friendly model you get -4 (there is a chance of hitting your friend) but if you target a friendly model you have -8 (its no talk of maybe hitting you friend). Do you see the diffrence?
IMPERIAL Strikes Back

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 07:40:57 PM »
where is this -4 penalty that grunts have when firing into CC...   ???

did i completely miss something?

-PFC joe

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »
Apparently, you missed this -

I beg to differ, Joe.  There is, indeed, a -4 penalty to the LD test to fire into CC involving friendly models.  I cite pg.  66, section 11.4.1 - Firing into Close Combat and Morale. ...

:)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 09:28:08 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 09:56:44 PM »
that's right!

that'll teach me to read.

Ooooh I remember now,  yeah the -8 test replaces the -4 as the possibility of hitting someone is replaced by the certainty of actually hittin them. 

-PFC joe

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 03:23:48 AM »
the -8 test replaces the -4 as the possibility of hitting someone is replaced by the certainty of actually hittin them.
but in case of shotguns with cluster effect, you said that it will be a -8 even though i'm sure i won't be hitting friendly models, right? (but the template does cover the friendly model)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 06:45:48 AM »
the -8 test replaces the -4 as the possibility of hitting someone is replaced by the certainty of actually hittin them.
but in case of shotguns with cluster effect, you said that it will be a -8 even though i'm sure i won't be hitting friendly models, right? (but the template does cover the friendly model)

You can't count on the wepon "not hitting" the friendly.  It is, probably, more accurate to roll randomly for all targets under the template to see which is, actually, hit by the weapon.

The game mechanic is set this way to avoid abuse.