Author Topic: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log  (Read 162245 times)

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
Re: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2010, 09:27:50 AM »
I hate to say that any G.W. store would carry it. Most hobby stores that have G.W. paints would have it.

It is the new G.W. ink not the old line.

I would suggest your local hobby shop first. Also comes in a pack of 6-9 of all new ink colors. Should run for 24-25 bucks.

Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010, 09:33:29 AM »
I hate to say that any G.W. store would carry it. Most hobby stores that have G.W. paints would have it.

It is the new G.W. ink not the old line.

I would suggest your local hobby shop first. Also comes in a pack of 6-9 of all new ink colors. Should run for 24-25 bucks.

This the one?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1030005&prodId=prod1320002

I'm fairly new to town and the town isn't that big (80,000) so I don't know the local hobby stores quite yet.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2010, 09:41:58 PM »
Got some new toys in the mail today.  Had an amazon gift certificate to spend so decided to get some Winsor and Newton series 7 brushes (00, 0, 1, 2).  Now I need to "brush up" (so to speak) on my paintbrush care...

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2010, 09:46:06 PM »
Well I am cruising along at a record pace (for me).  Been throwin' paint on this Tusked Raider pretty quickly.  I've also ordered the Citadel Washes set and my plan is to apply a wash to the beast's skin.  I've repainted the left front leg to the "base" color I am looking to get, and I will use this section as my test for the wash before repainting the entire beast.  Once the washes arrive, I'll see what they can do.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2010, 04:10:37 AM »
Yes, it is the citadel wash set. I think you will be happy with the results. Always remember to go a shade or two below what you want the final color to be. I think what you have posted (lighter color) will work very well.

The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2010, 01:34:05 PM »
OOOooooo.....  New paint brushes...I'm so jealous.  You gotta let us know how good they are as I've have thought about buying some of those in the past. 

Wow, you have been busy!  That's what I'm talkin about.  Love the Mallet Warriors, nothing to say but...awesome. 

The skin/beard on the face of the Raider is great.

The GW washes are simply necessary (my opinion of course) for table top standard...very quick to use and too good of coverage not too use.  I've bought two sets and five extra each of the Delvan mud, Ogryn flesh, and Gryphonne Sepia.

Keep up the good work you are motoring right along. :)
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »
Argh.

my experiences with brushes is so #&*@#$&* inconsistent.

So I broke out the new W&N brushes today.  I had also bought some stuff called "Pink Soap" at Michael's to make sure I got them clean.  I rinse them thoroughly after each color.  and after my paint session (maybe an hour or so) I rinse them with fresh water, suds them up with the soap, rinse again, form the tip,  and hope that I've done the right thing.

then when they dry they look like a flippin' chia pet:

when i get them wet again they do form a tip...and are "ok" for painting, but not quite as good as freshly new:

what am i doing wrong?  or are they "supposed" to porcupine up when dry? im really tired of burning through brushes left and right.

EDIT: I got a reply on the Reaper forum that says that this is normal behavior.  I sure hope so!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:31:45 PM by Daargrim »

Offline Arthadan

• Journeyman
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2010, 11:38:11 PM »
After rinsing it, dry it rolling the tip sideway on a newspaper sheet (or another absorvent paper). It makes wonder for me.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2010, 04:25:07 AM »
Your experiences with the above brushes are normal. When first purchased they look like they are supposed to. After use, you have to "prep" them by wetting the bristles down some and rolling into the desired tip.

But your questioning this is valid of course.

The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »
a "grab bag" update today...

I paused work on the Tusked Raider as I am awaiting the arrival of my new Citadel washes (hopefully today).

So, in the meantime I started slapping some paint on the Dark Tusk Hero.  He went surprisingly fast and just needs some Dullcoat and some grass!  Stuck with my Dark Tusk theme of orangish-brown-rusty type colors and complementary metals:

I also bought on eBay a two-pack of Chainmail dwarves.  I am planning on using the Scorcher (on left) as a Marksman proxy (as suggested by Manic_Miner).  I also tracked down someone willing to sell me his Chainmail Dwarf Hammer Priest for the same purpose, so I am going to have a couple of options.  I figure I might end up using one of them as another dwarf proxy (Mauler perhaps?).  The Scorcher model is a bit on the small size.  It's a bit skinny but I guess its tall enough...

So with the Dark Tusk Hero almost done I decided to knock off another small project, gluing together my Horned Ones Totem and adding a base. Not sure if I will paint this one soon, but he's available if needed.

And one final note.  My oldest son (10 years old) has always played around with my Chronopia minis, making pretend battles.  Well this weekend we did the real thing with a small skirmish.  He absolutely ate it up!  He loved it.  And the amazing thing is that he has ADHD and we played in the evening after his medication wore off.  He was so on task and attentive for the duration of the game I was just stunned.  It was something else to see (at least for me).  Just the combination of something that held his interest, and was engaging enough strategy/mathematically wise (but not too much).  I'm sure he's going to be beggin me for another game every day from now on.

Offline Cirith

• StygianBeach
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2010, 07:55:34 AM »
I love the work on the Dark Tusk Hero, and I am very envious of your Horned One Totem.

It is great to hear that you could play a game with your son, and that this has the added bonus of being a personal success story.

I especially like this as I am a serious ADHD sceptic.
People willing to trade their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2010, 08:20:47 AM »
I love the work on the Dark Tusk Hero, and I am very envious of your Horned One Totem.

It is great to hear that you could play a game with your son, and that this has the added bonus of being a personal success story.

I especially like this as I am a serious ADHD sceptic.

I think the term ADHD is thrown around as a generic term, but I am now a believer that it is a actual diagnosable medical issue.  Our son was diagnosed in kindergarten (which is really early).  We did a complete real-life test complete with placebos and the results were amazing.  Clearly the medication helps him maintain focus.  This is not a case of getting a kid to "settle down" in class (although that happened a TON in early elementary school).  In fact, ADHD medications are stimulants, the goal of which is to stimulate the area of the brain that helps maintain concentration.  For example, if we have the TV on during breakfast, he will sometimes struggle to remember to keep eating.  I have to keep reminding him to finish his breakfast.  Otherwise he can go minutes between bites. 

But its also not just a case of making him take a pill every day and there is nothing else to do.  We make sure to talk to him about his condition (we draw similarities between what he needs to function, and how someone with less than perfect vision needs glasses to function).  But ultimately, his behavior is *his* responsibility to control, medication or not.

As far as the Horned Totem, yes I am fortunate to have one...I actually snagged this guy on eBay maybe a year ago for only $30 or so.  I was pretty lucky!  Does anyone know why the figure wasn't made with a horn skull mace as a weapon?  Did that change from 1st to 2nd edition (I only play 1st edition).

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2010, 02:58:05 PM »
OK time for an update.  I have been on a painting frenzy as I scramble to get more troops ready for a game I have in April.  luckily, my back and my schedule have been kind to me!

First off, finished the Dark Tusk Raider, Dark Tusk Hero, and 2 more Mallet Warriors.  I did get my Citadel washes and have been trying to learn how to use them effectively.  Used Sepia on the Tusked Raider beast's skin:

I did end up locating a Chainmail Dwarf Hammer Priest from a dude on the Reaper message boards.  Nice enough to send it to me for $5 (including shipping!).  I little Pine Sol later, he's completely stripped of paint.  Like the other chainmail minis, he's tall enough, but scale and girth wise a little small.  I think I am going to use this guy as my marksman (instead of the scorcher) because I think I could use the scorcher for another proxy (maybe a flayer).  For the Hammer Priest, I dont see a another use for him that is better than the Marksman.  I'm going to use the pictured crossbow and put it in place of the hammer, modify his holy symbol hand to have an arrow, put a quiver on his back, and swap out his feet for Vulture feet.

So when I finished off my dark tusks, the only dwarf left I had on my list was the Marksman...I hadn't received it in the mail yet, so I started on my next quest...finishing off a big ol' Blackblood 1000 point army in time for my game.  I will outline what that comprises another time, but I did jump in and start painting the goblin myrmadon. I am going a little bold in colors here...my plan is for the goblins predominant "color" to be purple, so that's what I painted the beast's armor/blankie thing.  Not sure how much I like it.  Also decided to go grayish fur over red/brown skin.  Sometimes you just get sick of doing shades of brown.  Again, not sure how much I like it, but at least its something different.

That's all for now....

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2010, 03:35:05 PM »
 This is a great update.

The Tusked Raider has turned out great.Love the colour.

Like the choice of colour for the Myrmidon too.Not sure about the purple armour though but that is just me.

You have a great selection of miniatures painted and you have your son into gaming too.That is two of my goals for this year.

Looking forward to seeing the Blackbloods get some love.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2010, 05:13:44 PM »

The Tusked Raider has turned out great.Love the colour.

props to Veez and Luckyone who pointed me to the citadel washes. helped this mini out a lot. They are working pretty good, just takes some practice to apply them appropriately.