Author Topic: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log  (Read 162200 times)

Offline Daargrim

Re: Daargrim's dwarf-like-paced project log
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2010, 04:33:23 PM »
I'm spending some time pondering a Vulture Marksman proxy (as I mentioned earlier).  I'm thinking of possibly using an old Chainmail Priest figure linked below.  I'm thinking I can replace the axe with a large crossbow (but not so large it would look awkward in one hand).  Add a sword to his belt, and then swap his feet for Vulture feet form another chronopia mini.

I think this guys armor/dress is pretty well in line with the Vulture dwarves, and he looks "mean" enough to fit in with the rest of the molds in the Vulture line.

WOTC link (small picture):
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/chainmail/set_3/Dwarf_Hammer_Priest_xlg.jpg

some other random link I found of a painted version (front and back).  I had trouble finding any other pic online large enough to show detail:
http://www.voidgamers.com/channel/fantasy/chainmailD20/b.145.r.3201.html/Dwarf_Priest_Red_Front.jpg
http://www.voidgamers.com/channel/fantasy/chainmailD20/b.145.r.3200.html/Dwarf_Priest_Red_Back.jpg

bah...I just noticed he is holding some sort of holy symbol in his off hand.  Don't know what I would do with that.

Thoughts?

Boy I am really having a tough time finding this guy online.  Anyone have any suggestions on how I can track this mini down?

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »
 Daargrim if you look at this link you will find my Vulture Clan Marksman conversion using a Chainmail Dwarf.

http://forum54.oli.us/index.php/topic,4812.0.html

The arms are from the GW Catachan Jungle fighter plastics.The crossbow is from the Mordheim plastics.Not that hard a conversion to do as the arms are already loose on the Chainmail dwarf.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2010, 10:42:49 AM »
Daargrim if you look at this link you will find my Vulture Clan Marksman conversion using a Chainmail Dwarf.

http://forum54.oli.us/index.php/topic,4812.0.html

The arms are from the GW Catachan Jungle fighter plastics.The crossbow is from the Mordheim plastics.Not that hard a conversion to do as the arms are already loose on the Chainmail dwarf.

Ahh yes I remember seeing that conversion before.  Is that the "scorcher" or "shock trooper"? (I see them come in a blister together but not sure which is which).

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2010, 10:54:42 AM »
 I cant remember the name.He is the one that is throwing the bomb.Might be easier than cutting the priest to bits.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2010, 09:00:19 AM »
Small update...

got mostly the armor done on the Mallet Warriors.  I decided to integrate "Vulture Green" into these models by mixing up some metallic green for selected sections of their armor.  That. in addition to the gloves and pants seems like enough. I'll also do some green in the feather of the helmet-less figures.  Hope to finish these guys up in the next week or so....

Then I don't know what is next.  Still need to figure out (and acquire) a proxy for the Marksman.  Will be waiting patiently for the awesome Forge of Ice totems.  Maybe I will tackle the firethrower team (even though I have access to a painted one already for gaming).  I have a Kutara Lancer sitting around half painted as well that maybe I should finish off.....hmmmmm....

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2010, 10:46:24 AM »
 They are coming along very nicely.Cant wait for a picture of the force when complete.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2010, 12:10:51 PM »
Those are looking great (as usual). Can't wait for the final pics.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Cirith

• StygianBeach
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
This is great stuff, I am looking foward to seeing some colour in the beard of those Dwarves.
People willing to trade their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 05:53:57 PM »
This is great stuff, I am looking foward to seeing some colour in the beard of those Dwarves.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Vulture Mallet Warriors complete and ready to smash some skulls!

And here we have the Vulture Army (as it stands today) ready for battle!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 06:05:46 PM »
Those are awesome. I like the bases also.

You may want to shade the green with a dark (recesses) and light green highlights.

The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »
Those are awesome. I like the bases also.

You may want to shade the green with a dark (recesses) and light green highlights.

Thanks.

yeah you are right I probably should use some more contrast in my green shading.  I do have darker green in the recesses but it doesn't show up wel.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »
Well, with the completion of my Mallet Warriors I faced a quandry.  My plan was to construct this all-vulture army:

1 Fire thrower team
1 Keeper
2 (x4) units Vulture Crossbows
2 (x4) units Vulture Mallet Warriors
1 Vulture Marksman
1 Vulture Impaler
1 Vulture Talon Lord
1 Vulture Totem

This was in preparation for a game I have with some old friends in early April.  However, I probably wont have the eagerly-awaited "Mutant Terror Birds" in my grubby hands by then to use as the totems...and since I know those are coming, I really dont want to waste time with my original plan (using Reaper Axe Beaks as proxies).

So.....I think I'm going to have to reconsider the army I am going to prep.

My new focus is on the following Dark Tusk / Vulture army:

4 Dark-Star Warriors
1 Dark Tusk Hero
1 Tusked Raider
8 Vulture Crossbows
10 Vulture Mallet Warriors
1 Vulture Marksman
1 Vulture Talon Lord

The Dark Star Warriors, Vulture Crossbows, Talon Lord, and 8 of the Mallet Warriors are already painted.  That leaves the Dark Tusk Hero, Tusked Raider, 2 more Mallet Warriors, and the Vulture Marksman conversion.

side note...I have a couple Chainmail dwarves coming my way for possible conversions for the Marksman.  The Scorcher/Shock Trooper and also a used Hammer Priest.   We'll see how that plan works out.

So I went ahead and primed the "to be painted" list, along with the fire thrower team for the heck of it..

I decided to cut off the "stumps" that two of the tusked raider's legs were sitting on (thank you Dremel tool!).  The front leg I just left in the air, the back leg I placed a boulder in its place to make it look like it was stepping off a big rock.

I've started to paint the Tusked Raider, but as I expected I'm struggling with shading the beast's skin.  I have a hard time with "smooth" type hides.  Same issue I had with the goblin ripper beasts.  Anyone have some helpful painting tips?  I'm tempted to wash this thing with a dark brown but I am so hit-and-miss with washes I don't know what I am doing.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:23:27 PM by Daargrim »

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2010, 07:30:29 AM »
If I may be so bold, do another coat of the skin color the wash it with GW's Delvan Mud; the stuff is magic in a pot and is at a good consitency (although adding a couple drops of water does not hurt).
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »
If I may be so bold, do another coat of the skin color the wash it with GW's Delvan Mud; the stuff is magic in a pot and is at a good consitency (although adding a couple drops of water does not hurt).

Great idea. The stuff works wonders IMHO. All you need to do is a base coat a shade or two lighter than what you want it to be and apply the wash. It seems to work itself where it needs to go. It does take a little more time to dry BTW.

The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Daargrim

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 09:24:28 AM »

Great idea. The stuff works wonders IMHO. All you need to do is a base coat a shade or two lighter than what you want it to be and apply the wash. It seems to work itself where it needs to go. It does take a little more time to dry BTW.

hmmmm, don't have that, not sure if I am patient enough to wait until I track down a bottle.  Any suggestions for a paint-based wash?  that's what I typically do with mixed results.  I do have a bottle of Vallejo "smokey ink" but I'm not sure if its an "ink" or if that's just the name of the color.  Heck I don't even know what an "ink" is?  For how many years I have been painting sometimes I feel like I don't know what I am doing.