Author Topic: Consistency v. Coolness  (Read 7636 times)

Offline Gubs

• Prophet Miniatures
Consistency v. Coolness
« on: January 28, 2006, 09:38:57 PM »
Personal pet peeve:
A company shows off awesome concept art.  You get excited.  You can't wait for the model to be made because it's going to be the greatest miniature ever.  Then a mysterious change happens, somewhere between 2d and 3d, something is lost and instead of "greatest figure ever" you end up with just another average mini.  I hate that.  Even if it looks decent, sometimes how it compares to my own high expectations will keep me from buying a figure.  Anyway, that's besides the point...

My question is this:  Is it better to truly capture the flavor of the artwork, or filter it into the style of the existing miniatures?  Or does it even matter?  Privateer Press and Reaper are examples of companies that have a wide variety of styles, some cartoony, some more realistic.  Is a cool fig a cool fig regardless?

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

Re: Consistency v. Coolness
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 10:32:45 PM »
Coolness is coolness.  Consitancy is good, but it shouldn't get in the way of an artist expressing themselves and creating something that is really very cool.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 11:33:10 PM »
As long as it's both dynamic (ie takes the flow and motion from the original art while not being interesting when viewed only from the original concept angle) and doesn't seem entirely out of place in the line it's a good model.

a good example of a bad example would be anything that Tim Prow did.  he managed to make every single sculpt that he touched not only demonstrate a complete lack of any knowledge of physiology but also had entirely two dimensional figures that obviously were only vague attempts at giving depth to a concept art sketch.

You can go too far in the depth field too.  The Cursed Legionarres, some of the last Target models out of the molds, were spot on to the fluff art, but given a lack of artistic liscence seemed entirely bland and almost playdoh like.

So to answer your question, make the models look good from all angles while being true to the original concept if not exactly it...

...or we'll hate you forever.

(don't worry, from what we've seen of your work, it's awesome)

-PFC joe

one more example, the Brotherhood Assault Go-kart.  The sculpter went EXACTLY by the painting, to the point mistaking the Statue behind the Kart as being a part of the Kart.  Thus, we have a really ridiculous, but funny to tell story, model on the board.

and even further
The Bushido Samurai

are perfect.  I believe that they are Kev White sculpts and they manage to perfectly capture the spirit of the art as well as manage to look completly badass on the board.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 11:49:30 PM by PFC joe »
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 12:06:20 AM »
The Bushido Samurai

are perfect.  I believe that they are Kev White sculpts and they manage to perfectly capture the spirit of the art as well as manage to look completly badass on the board.
Yep, fairly certain the Bushido are by Kev. I think he's even commented on it over at MR. The Bushido, the Bushido Dragonriders and the Mishima Doomtroopers are all good examples of consistency and coolness combined. They all fit together beautifully. The AShigaru I think also work well with those.

Coolness is very important to me since I often buy minis just to paint them. Consistency is nice especially within a faction but sometimes I guess you have to break from it.

Good topic!

/Andreas

Offline Gubs

• Prophet Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 12:33:48 AM »

You can go too far in the depth field too.  The Cursed Legionarres, some of the last Target models out of the molds, were spot on to the fluff art, but given a lack of artistic liscence seemed entirely bland and almost playdoh like.

I look at the Cursed and don't consider them to be in line with the art.  Details are consistent, but the mood is lost, because the proportions undergo such a drastic change from the moody, elongated almost Rackhamish proportions of the artwork to the thick chunky cartoony figures.  That's a perfect example of coolness being lost in translation.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 05:28:21 AM »
I look at the Cursed and don't consider them to be in line with the art. Details are consistent, but the mood is lost, because the proportions undergo such a drastic change from the moody, elongated almost Rackhamish proportions of the artwork to the thick chunky cartoony figures. That's a perfect example of coolness being lost in translation.

That's pretty much my sentiment exactly.  It's there, but it missed the point entirely.  btw the art work that they're based off of is fairly old, at least to the point of predating Rackham.
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 03:30:13 PM »
throwing out my opinion on this topic...

I think that sometimes you have to release a model or a squad that has the coolness factor turned way up...this has the effect of 1.) driving up sales on new items; 2.) causing a demand for the work of a particular sculptor; and 3.) ensuring that every single model in a particular faction does not look cookie-cutter to every other model in that faction.

Now this can be overdone certainly...as an example, our friends in England totally resculpted the entire Wood Elf line that they just released 3 years ago...the new models look spectacular, but the pressure that they put out because of their tournament policies makes sure that a veteran player almost feels compelled to re-purchase their entire force.

B.
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Gubs

• Prophet Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 05:15:20 PM »
If there's one problem we don't have to worry about its too frequent resculpts :P

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 01:51:39 AM »
I'd say its important to capture the artwork but its not needed to copy it 1:1 on the miniature. As the sculpting and modeling are different (ie 3d vs 2d) the scultpur should bring in its own Visions with the pose and keep the "Look" from details like weapons and armor from the sketch.

As i mainly collect Minis to paint them (No real gaming szene around here) the coolness factor of a Mini is very impt. An example: i really hope the Bloodhunters have that Banner on their backs as that is a big point about their "coolness" from the art but they can ofc resemble a bit more dynamic pose as on the pic.
He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 07:12:14 AM »
Go for coolness.  At least as far as the Chronopia range.  There is no real scale for the models!  Compare the size of the Wolf Legion Gauntlets and the Vulture Legion Gauntlets.  Wide range, and all fit the fluff and are close to the artwork.  I say hold as true as ya can to the art/fluff, but don't hold back if you can sculpt a more dynamic pose, or improve on it.  Go for coolness.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA