Author Topic: How do flyers move exactly  (Read 4232 times)

Offline Lopis

How do flyers move exactly
« on: November 28, 2009, 02:10:35 PM »
Reading about the flyers led me to the question of exact movement of the flyers while ascending/descending.

As an example I´ll take a hypothetic flyer with 4/6:15

1. >>> How is the maximum of ascend or descend determined?

The model can reach 15 as maximum. And the airborne movement is 6.
So it could gain or drop at max 6 inch per move action. But can it ascend more inches than it moves ? lets say 4 inch forward and 6 inch ascending?
The text of the rulebook gives me kind of an impression that the maximum ascend descend could be related to the actual movement per action and not only to the possible movement.

2. >>> When does ascending and descending begin or better when is it possible to which amount ?
 a) the model can ascend/descend one inch per inch moved ( as in a staircase making an ever-diagonal movement)
b) the model is free of the staircase restriction and could gain/lose more altitude then moved actually forward, lets say: 1 inch forward 3 ascending and then 2 inch forward descending 1 and then three forward and ascending the remaining 2 inches.
c) no regulation at all : gain 6 inches and then moving six inches forward or the opposite moving 6 inches and dropping 5 inches after the forward movement.

I´d say logical would seem "no" and "a", but what do you think and are there other possibilities I  missed?
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Pax

Re: How do flyers move exactly
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:22:57 PM »
when a flying unit moves it get to either descend or ascend up to it's full movement.

A unit with 4/6: 15 got 6 MV while flying to a maximum of 15 in height. Spending 1 MV action he get to move up to 6 inches forward, this also means that he get to either raise himself or lower himself up to a maximum of 6 inches.

So 6 inches forward = 6 height bands up/down.

To reach the full height of 15 the unit must spend all it's 3 MV actions to spend them in any way until he moved at least 15 Inches forward in some fashion. (he can turn and whatever, just as long as the inches up/down match the inches forward).

Of cource you don't have to move up or down, but the maximum is always your units MV while flying.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 06:07:34 PM »
Nice job, Pax.  ;D
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Pax

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 08:17:14 PM »
:P

Just for personal note, I never, ever, put a flyer on wait unless he hovers.  >.< Or something equally similar like not moving at all during a turn. 0 inch movement = big hole in the ground in my world. :D But that's just me, never saw a rule in the book about that so should be perfectly legal to actually not move a flyer, even though it would in reality result in a crash when you turn of the engine. ;)

Offline Enker

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:56:44 AM »
For me the Great Grey or Purble Shark Models look like these scifi bikes which are able to hover,
so no problem with hovering for me.

Did I get it right that you are not able to ascent or descent without moving forward?
Do you have to move one inch forward for each inch you ascend or descend?
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 09:04:41 AM »
No forward movement is necessary.  Hovering is allowed, as is ascent without forward movement.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!