Author Topic: Fear, part X  (Read 8186 times)

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
Fear, part X
« on: January 25, 2006, 02:35:39 AM »
Ok, I know that I can avoid being succumbed to fear by leaving the radius of fear.

What happens when the fear-causer moves again so that I'm in the radius of fear?

Will I have to roll for fear? Or will I succumb to fear, as I didn't passed the fear check before?
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline Nikodemus

• Journeyman
Re: Fear, part X
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 03:35:49 AM »
Roll for fear again, you are only immune to fear from this model if you pass the test.

Offline Anomander_Rake

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 04:32:29 AM »
Roll for fear again, you are only immune to fear from this model if you pass the test.

Hmm...why? I will make a little example.
A Warband is in the radius of fear. They roll for fear but loose. So they are affected by fear. With their next activation they move out of the fear-radius. Now the fear wears off. But they still are not immune to fear or did pass any tests. Now direct behind them, the fear causer activates and moves again into 4" range and affects them further with his fear...why should they roll at this point? As no Ini has been between these two moves and they didn't pass the first test, I think they should be affected by fear immediately...
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 10:13:56 AM »
Well, they should roll since that's what the rules say you should do when you come into the fear radius. There's nothing about Initiatives in the rules.

Wedge

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 01:18:54 PM »
I thought (no book handy) that once you removed the fear counter caused by one particular unit you didn't have to test again against that unit--no matter how the counter was removed (e.g. move away, rallied, etc.).  Is that not the case?

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 01:39:28 PM »
Check the text for the Success bullet point on p.77 when you get home and see if you agree with me on this.

The heading for all the bullet points is "The results of a Morale check to resist Fear is as follows:". I'd say that means it's only on a success (reuiring a roll) that you gain Immunity to that particular Fear source.

Moving away is mentioned as a way to remove the Fear under the Failure bullet. That bullet doesn't say that you gain Immunity the way the Success one does.

Wedge

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 01:41:00 PM »
Moving away is mentioned as a way to remove the Fear under the Failure bullet. That bullet doesn't say that you gain Immunity the way the Success one does.

Very interesting.  I am not sure if this has ever come up in a game personally, but I will have to remember it for the future.  I concur with your interpretation Coil.

Offline Nikodemus

• Journeyman
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 01:41:16 PM »
No... ;D

The  don`t have to test again passage is only found under the Success and Critical paragraphs...

One second to late...

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 01:55:07 PM »
Looks more like 1 min 48 sec.  ;)

Us mods have special powers.  8)

Offline Anomander_Rake

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 01:05:44 AM »
here is a new one I thought about while walking my dog in the morning...

I have to roll for fear every time a fear-causer moves within 4" to me. That means when there are 3 models ( example: dragonbane, troll, ogre), I have to roll for every model a fear check. So far so good. But what is it with warbands? Lets assume a warband of Dragonskull Warriors move to me...do I have to roll for every model in the warband or just once cause they are a warband?

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 02:20:46 AM »
Just once otherwise a Warband of Fear causers would be really, really bad.

Oh  forgot to add that a success would of course make you Immune to further Fear checks from the entire unit.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 03:28:34 AM by Coil »