Author Topic: Unbending weapons  (Read 6522 times)

Offline nico*le*clodo

Unbending weapons
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »
small question

When I get plastic figures, I often have weapons who are bent and need to be set straight again. The easiest way to do this is to heat up some water, throw the mini in it for a while. You take the mini out, make the weapon straight again and put it under cold water to fix the weapon in that position.

So no problem with plastis, but what about metal?

I've got a few minis were the weapon bends totally backwards. I thought I read you could just bend it in the right position but that it would become a weak point. Does heating works? And how and for how long should I heat?

Offline Lopis

Re: Unbending weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:49:43 AM »
I never had the problem....

When the weapons or arms or anything was bent is was only on the newer sculpt/alloy mini´s..
The alloy was much softer than the old one and normally I could bend it in place without heating with my bare fingers and without problems of creating a weak point.

With the old alloy it only happened to me when I had a falling damage of one of the minis. Then I would take out tongs and set it right with a bit of Force.
Worked normally. Sometimes you get dents, so make sure you put a bit of tissuepaper between it or use tongs without a rippled surface.
When you do big parts ( as bending the whole Cape of the Bauhaus Kommandant in another direction) the alloy rips a bit , but you can smooth out with milliout or anything like that.

Be careful with old alloy weapons muzzles. They break easily and are the hardest part to set right (mostly again only after falling damages, so keep the minis on the table ;-))

And be careful with heat and the alloy....normally tin-based alloys have very small bands of melting totally.
You man know that of solder. the one moment it is ductile and bendable and the next moment its liquid...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:51:20 AM by Lopis »
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
Bend slowly so as not to heat it up.  When you bend metal, it gets warmer, making it softer, which makes it easier to bend, so it get bent faster - see the cycle?

Bend slowly.

If it breaks, consider pinning it.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 05:35:58 PM »
Bend slowly so as not to heat it up.  When you bend metal, it gets warmer, making it softer, which makes it easier to bend, so it get bent faster - see the cycle?

Bend slowly.

Why do you want him to wresle his mini???
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 05:40:31 PM by luckyone »
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 02:37:48 PM »

Bend slowly.

Why do you want him to wresle his mini???

Because I have issues I'd rather not discuss here...oops.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 10:32:09 AM »
Or you can get one of those TV psychics to bend it back like it was a spoon!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!