Author Topic: Why "Mutant" in Mutant Chronicles?  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
Why "Mutant" in Mutant Chronicles?
« on: July 08, 2009, 03:00:20 PM »
Hey all. Long time no see... I've been okay...

SO. I finally saw Mutant Chronicles: the movie today, and without going too much into it, it was the worst adaptation of a franchise since Judge Dredd (something I'm painfully attached to).

I noticed that the movie went out of its way to call the supposed Dark Legion troops: Mutants, and it struck me... What's with the name, Mutant Chronicles? The game doesn't involve many mutants or mutations... Alot of demons, and inter-dimensional thingies, but no mutants.

Lates!

-Rabbit

Offline pinksuezo

Re: Why "Mutant" in Mutant Chronicles?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 06:10:03 PM »
i could easily be wrong but if i remember correctly i read somewherea long time ago that in the earliest plans for  the original pen and paper rpg, mutants were supposed to play a larger role as a PC class (and the dark legion wasn't even present in the oldest version of the universe).  i think you see shadows of this in the mention of mutant colonies in the mishima sourcebook, as well as possibly in the 4 arms of the crucifiers. i think it pretty much evaporated out of the development, though. someone please correct me if i am wrong.
REPORT HERESY. IT'S YOUR DUTY.

In Nomine Cardinalis

Pax

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 10:52:25 PM »
The Mutant part is a old Swedish RPG first released in 1984 by Target Games.

It was later given a expansion in 1989 with a Cyberpunk feeling called Mutant 2089 in which the Mega Corporations first appeared.

It later released in 1992 another one called Mutant R.Y.M.D. which spell out as SPACE in English. In this section the Mega Corporations begin to break out of the burnt World and colonize the solar system.

In 1993 the first edition of Mutant Chronicles is released, building on the setting of Mutant R.Y.M.D.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 03:01:17 PM »
Quote from: pinksuezo link=topic=5893.msg45909#msg45909 date=
as well as possibly in the 4 arms of the crucifiers.

The Crusifiers arms are not flesh.  The armor comes with the extra, robotic arms.  Crucifiers apend a lot of time learning how to use the suit to it's potential.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 07:14:49 AM »
What Pax Said! :)

I think that is a likely origin for the name, Mutant the RPG had a post apocalyptic world. Players could be normal humans, mutants (physical or mental powers and defects), you could also play as a mutated animal. Later on they released background books and adventures that fleshed out the world of post apocalypse Scandinavia. It truly was/is a great game and setting.

Offline Lancelot

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 07:11:21 PM »
ALso If memory serves me correct , there is mention of a Mutant King and mutants that live in sewers of Luna in the Mutant Chronicles.

Heh. Wonder if there were any mutant turtles down there . ;D

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 05:28:21 PM »
Odger is the only one who has mutant turtles that I know of.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.