Author Topic: Chronopia vs. Warlord comparison  (Read 7376 times)

Offline Fremen

Chronopia vs. Warlord comparison
« on: April 08, 2008, 03:05:01 PM »
Hi Josh,

Thanks for taking the time to do such an in-depth and complete comparison of the two systems over on the reaper forums.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31840&hl=

I think you touched on a lot of the points that bothered me about the Warlords system, and I think you were pretty diplomatic.  Chronopia will always be my favorite, and it's not just because it was the first mini game I played and it brings along some nostalgia, but because it really IS an elegant system full of opportunities and options.

~Thalon

Offline Glenn M

Re: Chronopia vs. Warlord comparison
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 03:19:42 PM »
That was an interesting read, and I did enjoy it.  I kinda like Warlord, but some of the mechanics put me off, so I haven't played in a long while.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »
I bought both printings, plenty of pewter, and really tried to enjoy it.  I'm happy the fanboys didn't crucify me.  I didn't post to simply say "your game sucks, play Chronopia."  I hope they may draw some ideas to improve the game as Lord knows I have enough of their models, and I like Reaper in principle.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 03:56:25 PM »
I find the figures to be very overpriced.  The regular Reapers are fine, but Warlord seems ridiculous.  I just used Chronopia figures to play.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 06:12:44 AM »
I think that's wise.  The game is structured that you could proxy almost anything for play.  The sculpts are pretty, especially the Werner Klocke ones, but going from our dark, gritty, badass Chronopia to Warlord is a stretch.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 12:19:13 AM »
That's a pretty impressive post count you've racked up over there as well Josh. :)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 05:34:15 AM »
I never shut up!!  I really need to do more work in the office, it's pathetic, really.   :-[

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 06:34:41 PM »
That's a pretty impressive post count you've racked up over there as well Josh. :)

Im feeling neglected over here  :'(

I reached 1000 posts and I didnt get a kewl avatar  like Josh and the others  :o
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 07:34:11 AM »
I thought the crazy pac man with the machine gun WAS your avatar.

Offline mchiao

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 12:11:35 PM »
Hi Josh,

Thanks for taking the time to do such an in-depth and complete comparison of the two systems over on the reaper forums.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31840&hl=

That was indeed very nicely put.  For some reason, it makes me proud.  Best of all, it didn't really put down Warlord in any fashion, IMHO.  However, the same can be said for Chronopia.  Don't get me wrong, I love Chronopia and I have 3000pt to 5000pt in each of the army.

While I was waiting for the resurrection of Chronopia, I checked out a few other games.  One in particular caught my eyes and their rules are very interesting.  For example, leadership point is leveraged beyond determining initiatives.  In this game, each figure counts as 1 LP and leader has their own LP points.  What you do with the LP is you can take any number of LP points you have to your initiative roll in order to win the initiative.  Or, you can issue 'order' like 'dive for cover' with LP points.  In Chronopia, LP is quite useful and it is used for (if my memory serves me correctly) initiative, fear, target and wait action?  Somehow, it just feels quite ignored, IMHO.

I liked this mechanism quite a lot and think this will balance out the game in situation when you longer have the powerful individual but you out number your opponent.  Imagine you are down to a full squad of goblins and you are facing the dreaded Repulsar Knight, wouldn't that give you a better chance of getting a chance to hit the Repulsar Knight before you get decimated?    ;D

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 01:30:56 PM »
I feel Warlord has promise, and maybe the new book will get the game down.  I enjoy so many games, and I hope my input was constructive for them.

It appears so, as they are now adding Trampling to Warlord!!   ;D