Author Topic: New (to me at least) Technique  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

New (to me at least) Technique
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:57:35 PM »
I learned a new terrain making technigue that I decided to share here because I think its pretty cool.  This might be the oldest trick in the book but its new to me and I'm excited.  Now on to the meat.

This is a technique for making barbed wire.  Its just about the simplest thing I've ever seen and the result is great.  You will need wire cutters and 2 different gauges of florists wire (I'm using 22 and 26 gauge).  Wrap the smaller wire around the larger wire in fairly tight and regularly spaced coils.  Once you've got a what you think will be enough cut both wires.  Next coil the two wire assembly around a 1/2" cylender (I'm using an extra stick from my hot glue gun).  That's basically it, all thats left is to attach some X's fashioned out of balsa and base the whole thing.

Two pictures follow the second has some free marines for scale.  I'm still working on my photography (though I did just discover that I can turn my track lighting in the bathroom upside down to reflect of the white ceiling and give me a decent indirect light source) so bare with me on the picture quality.

Edit: Whoa those pictures are huge, just a sec I'll fix it.  Ahhh much better.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 09:02:19 PM by Gallagher_Standard_Barer »

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
Re: New (to me at least) Technique
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 12:10:56 AM »
This sounds like a good suggestion, much safer than what I used.

I've made barbed wire in the past out of chicken wire.  I just cross cut the wire so that the cuts form the barbs, and then I wrapped it around a thick wooden pencil.  It worked for me but, my barbed wire actually has barbs on it.  So, not only do I occaisionally get cut while setting up or taking down a battlefield but, my hands were bleeding by the time I finished making a batch!  I guess you go with what you got.  I had it on hand and so that is what I used.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 05:14:29 AM »
This sounds like a good suggestion, much safer than what I used.

I've made barbed wire in the past out of chicken wire.  I just cross cut the wire so that the cuts form the barbs, and then I wrapped it around a thick wooden pencil.  It worked for me but, my barbed wire actually has barbs on it.  So, not only do I occaisionally get cut while setting up or taking down a battlefield but, my hands were bleeding by the time I finished making a batch!  I guess you go with what you got.  I had it on hand and so that is what I used.

one of our friends has MUCH better injury stories than that....

B.
work on it...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 10:01:33 AM »
Yeah I've done the autobody mesh or Aluminium screen methods before, but when you put this down on the table it looks just as good and its less painful to make or manipulate.