Author Topic: Most Memorable PC Games Ever Played  (Read 16323 times)

Iron Panda

Most Memorable PC Games Ever Played
« on: January 18, 2006, 06:51:41 PM »
There was post showing an old Warzone game and it made me think a bit.  Games made back then were, for the most part, have more substance and value.  They were deep, well-made games that captures a player's interest and imagination from the moment it boots up and does not let go until 7am when one has to go to school or work.

I can think of some and feel free to add and/or comment.

Ultima series (1 to 4)

Wasteland

Fallout series

Bards Tale series

Starflight 1 and 2

Autoduel

XCOM 1,2 and 3

Baldur's Gate series

Planescape

Star Control 2

Master of Orion 1 and 2

Master of Magic

Any infocom games (Those games were text-based and were a lesson in frustration in retrospect but they were fun, regardless)

Civilization 1 and 2

Alpha Centauri

Star Craft

Warcraft   (Not a big fan of real-time games, but really like the plotlines)

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
Re: Most Memorable PC Games Ever Played
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 07:29:53 PM »

XCOM

XCOM Was (still is) the bomb!  I still play it on occasion.  a similar Game was Jagged Alliance, which was awesome.  Other then that, some olf Lucasarts games are still on my box, like Sam and Max hit the road (one of the funniest games ever).

I also have a bunch of the old Leisure Suit Larry games, along with Kings Quest.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 09:07:08 PM »
Kings Quest

I didn't think that anyone else had those anymore.

I have that one, and Space Quest as well.  My wife gets a big kick out of playing them.

I am still a big fan of:

Dark Forces

Unreal Tournament

Warcraft II

And, although it isn't a PC game...

Does anyone remember Karateka

It was on the old, old, old, Apple ][e machines, as well as the Commodore 64.

We used to play it in "computer lab", in high school, instead of actually learning anything about computers. ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 11:12:01 AM by NinjaCat »
Please insert *Obscure Movie Quote* or *Witty Gamer Lingo* here: ________________________________________________!

Offline Enker

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 12:07:51 AM »
Here are two "must have played" games.
Privateer  :o
Syndicate  8)
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 01:29:24 AM »
Wing Commander I

Incubation

and Battle Isle 1 and 2  ;D
He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 01:46:53 AM »
I often feel that games where better in the old days as well. But when I think a bit more about it I am not sure. Maybe it's just that I was younger back then and less jaded.

I recently bought a C-64 collection with lots of old games that could be played with a 64-emulator on the PC. It certainly brought back a lot of old fond memories. Some of the games are still quite good and have nice game play but a lot of them are quite bad even if you ignore the fact that the graphics couldn't be as good back then.

Of the old games that I played on the 64 and later my Amiga, the Ultima series (up to V) were a favourite, so was Last Ninja, Commando, Rambo, Colonial Conquest, H.E.R.O, Defender of the Crown, Civ 1, Blue Max, Pirates etc etc.

I got Civ 4 this Christmas and it is a really nice game.

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 05:37:49 AM »
Master of Magic

There is this game Age of Wonders...it's similar to Master of Magic...better graphics...more races...it's great...! You can play it even by LAN or Internet...play by mail...it rocks... at the moment I'm playing day and night AoW II - Shadow Magic

just my two cents...

Anomander Rake
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 05:54:03 AM »
Wing Commander I
Good call on "Wing Commander".   It was available on most consoles and PCs.  I played it on the Sega CD console attachment, which had full character speech.  (no sub-titles)  As a result, you couldn't enter your name as the character. You became Lt. Commander Hot Shot, or Corpral Hot Shot, etc...  The game was a bit too much for the system to handle.  If you entered combat with a few too many enemies (usually 3-4), the game slowed down.  I really liked it a lot though.  I got a kick out of the fact that they gave you a space funeral every time you died.

I loved those evil cat people, too.  Kilrathi scum!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 11:10:28 AM by NinjaCat »
Please insert *Obscure Movie Quote* or *Witty Gamer Lingo* here: ________________________________________________!

Wedge

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 08:54:07 AM »
I remember a lot of the games you guys are talking about...

Karateka was a lot of fun (I had an Apple ][e myself).
Does anyone remember the game: Interstate 76?  That was a cool game.
The Jagged Alliance Series was great... still have it.

Some of my personal favorites from the old days were:

The Wizardy Series
The Ultima Series
The Zork Series

Recent titles:

I love all the Jedi Knight games (I replay them often--the slow-mo lightsaber deaths are very cool)
Anything Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Borther in Arms, etc.  has me at hello!
FarCry was a VERY cool game--which was one of the longest games.  Usually games don't last long enough, but this one should be the template for all 1st person shooters.  Looking forward to FarCry II.

I liked the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and NWN series', but I am looking forward to the Eberron series too!  Planescape was outstanding (story wise), and the spells in that game were the best!

I am sure I am forgetting a bunch but that is just off the top of my head for now.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 09:11:51 AM »
Wing Commander I
Good call on "Wing Commander".   It was available on most consoles and PCs.  I played it on the Sega CD console attachment, which had full character speech.  (no sub-titles)  The game was a bit to much for the system to handle.  If you entered combat with a few too many enemies (usually 3-4), the game slowed down.  I really liked it a lot though.  I got a kick out of the fact that they gave you a space funeral every time you died.

I loved those evil cat people, too.  Kilrathi scum!

A similar game was Star Crusade, a space fighter game that used OK 3D graphics for the time.  It had a wicked fun branching storyline, so it was fun to play through several times.  It also had a surprisingly large amount of different types of missions from convoy defense to stealthy spying missions.  I need to buy that game again... I really do.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 10:40:07 AM »
Now if were talking old space games.
     Tie-Fighter by lucas arts.
                damn that game is fun, even to this day.
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 11:29:24 AM »
I was a really big fan of X-wing!  Tie-fighter was just as good too!  There were a lot of detailed controls in that game.  I think that every F-key had a function.  The regular number keys did, too, if I recall correctly.
But if you lost the manual, you couldn't play, because there was a different code word on the corner of every page.  It would ask you for one by page number, when you started the game.  Well, at least X-wing did.

Great! Great! Great!

I love Flight Sims!

I really enjoy (although it has been quite a while) Microsoft Flight Combat Simulator II.  Good WWII flight combat.  So easy to get shot down, it is almost too realistic.  I run out of ammo in like 1 min. of combat.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 12:12:55 PM by NinjaCat »

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 11:57:56 AM »
I loved Tie-Fighter and X-wing was pretty good as well.

Offline NinjaCat

• Journeyman
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 01:03:28 PM »
Oregon Trail anyone???  ;)

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 01:20:42 PM »
If you're an American in your mid-twenties and you don't have an oregon trail story from when you were in primary school, well then you missed out.  I may have to go out on a limb and say best educational game ever.

Seeing as how I first learned how to program on the Apple IIe, I have fond memories of that platform.  Especially little games I wrote myself, inlcuding a program that played the first measure of Beethoven's fifth and at the end asked "Would you like to hear it again?" if you said yes it started playing, if you said no it said "Too bad sucker, classical is good for you! Listen up!"

I still play both Fallout and Fallout two regularly, and  I loved both X-wing and Tie Fighter, but what I'm most astonished is that no one has mentioned Monkey Island!

I loved the Adventure Game genre, it seems isn't flashy enough for todays developers to produce any new titles but back in the day I loved all 4 Monkey Islands, Sam and Max hit the Road, the old Indiana Jones stuff, Day of the Tenticle, and Full Throttle.  Man those were some good games.