Author Topic: Goblin Blowpipers  (Read 10043 times)

Draconnor

Goblin Blowpipers
« on: September 22, 2005, 10:18:48 AM »
Does ROF 2/1 and dmg x2 means that they can fire 2 times in each action with dmg x2 modifier (Max to 8 armour save rols per goblin) ?
And may the player can choose to do - 4 shots in two actions or aim in first and two shots in second action ?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Goblin Blowpipers
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 10:29:29 AM »
Sounds accurate.  The low damage is balanced by the rate of fire and the x2 damage. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Draconnor

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 10:43:51 AM »
If they aim first they have bow dmg and still 2 shoots left ...

And about balance - remember that they cost only 26 points and have outmaneveur ...

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 10:48:11 AM »
Compare'em to the Crimson blades; goblins are no joke!  Those guys have hide and are doling out 14 DAM!  My Dwarves have suffered serious casualties from all kinds of Goblins.  Not to be underestimated; these ain't no Tolkien goblins.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 10:58:41 AM »
Compare'em to the Crimson blades; goblins are no joke!  Those guys have hide and are doling out 14 DAM!  My Dwarves have suffered serious casualties from all kinds of Goblins.  Not to be underestimated; these ain't no Tolkien goblins.

You ain't just whistlin Dixie, Josh. An experienced player with a Goblin or Swampie army is truly a deadly sight to behold...

:o  SCARY :o
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 11:12:43 AM »
The wall of Stygian rushin' at ya is reminiscent of the horror of the goblins.  Dalton just discovered the joy of having a unit of Blackblood Goblin spearmen.  Talk about bang for your buck.  Group Attack makes them VERY dangerous.  And yes, any unit in this game played to their advantages is highly effective, if the dice are kind of course.  That's why we dig this game so much. 

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 01:59:13 PM »
Does ROF 2/1 and dmg x2 means that they can fire 2 times in each action with dmg x2 modifier (Max to 8 armour save rols per goblin) ?
And may the player can choose to do - 4 shots in two actions or aim in first and two shots in second action ?

Yep, your math is exactly correct.

The Blowpipes may not have the single shot punch that other missile weapons do, but with a x2 multiplier, and sheer volume of rolls, your opponent will start to fail eventually, usually at the most inopportune time...  ;D

Personally, I usually forgo aiming, unless the target is in cover, and just go for volume of fire over higher damage. You'll start rolling 1's sooner or later, and the annoyance factor of the Swampies blowing their little pygmy hearts out is definitely a psychological edge.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 02:25:26 PM »
When there is a ton of them little bastards, you are bound to miss a few rolls. I have seen them little sneakey swamppies take out Dwarvies. But for the most part a good Swampie player can take down even the toughest armys like the Blackblood.
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth!

dagorauk

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 08:36:35 AM »
I've seen firsthand the horror of Goblin Blowpipers staying out of the reach of Dwarves, and just showering the little tanks with darts until the Dwarves all died. It's kinda scary.

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 10:05:07 AM »
I don't want to take the discussion off topic, but those Swamp Goblin blowpipers look like they'd take up alot of time just rolling your single d20 over and over again (which is what I was told you do, that is, just use 1d20 per player for UWZ/Chronopia). Now before you look at me sideways I've been playing UWZ and Chronopia, in theory, since miniFORUMS (2002/2003), but in practice I've probably played 5 games, total, with reluctant friends. So, I don't have much experience with the subtle nuances of the game.

Basically my question is...What's everyones' take on multiple die-rolling? Like in the case of these blowpipers would it be in bad form for me to toss out a couple d20s when I roll to hit? How 'bout when you KNOW you're gonna do all your actons as shoot actions can you just roll an amount of dice equal to your AC to hit?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 10:16:38 AM »
if we're gonna use all actions to shoot and the modifiers are the same we usually use multiple different colored dice and designate each as to which action and which number in the RoF they are.

IE in UWZ  If i roll 3 dice for an HMG in PB then i would say, "Red, White, Blue" (or whatever colors I had in my hand) and that would be the binding order of shots.  That way I can apply criticals and Fumbles as nessecary.  This really only works when similar cover is around for the targets.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 10:34:03 AM »
Cool-cool, just wanted to know the more-experienced gamers take on that thought.

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 02:43:54 PM »
I hope you will get more gaming in U.S. Hope you have been well.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!