Author Topic: Stalk-questions  (Read 5139 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Stalk-questions
« on: January 18, 2006, 11:43:08 AM »
Can a stalking model move through a friendly unit?  Can a stalking model end up in the rear facing of a model in Shield Wall, if it approached from the front unspotted?  Having a blast with the Wolf Clan Scavenger.  Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Wedge

Re: Stalk-questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 03:27:17 PM »
Can a stalking model move through a friendly unit?  Can a stalking model end up in the rear facing of a model in Shield Wall, if it approached from the front unspotted?  Having a blast with the Wolf Clan Scavenger.  Cheers.

Great questions.

To the first one... In a friendly game I would allow it only by virtue of stalk the model really isn't even on the board yet.  I know you have to physically represent the model on the table with a stalk marker next to it, so I see how it could be argued the other way.  If I had to hazard a guess I would say stalking models circumvent the normal restrictions of movement as long as their base does not overlap another models base.  I could be wrong too... if I am, my answer to that would be simply to make sure you leave 1" gaps between your friendly models so that the stalker could get through.

To the second one... the stalking model would have to first move PAST the model in shield wall and then come into base to base (charge) from the rear with a second action.  You could not do this with ONE action because when charging with one action you must take the most direct route--there would be no way to charge from the front and end up at the rear facing of the model.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 04:12:45 PM »
I tend to agree with Wedge on his answers to this very interesting scenario. I don't have my book handy (getting paid to post again), but I will research them and see if there is anything I can add.

Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 01:23:01 AM »
I think Wedge is probably right, although we all should check the book to be sure.

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 05:56:57 AM »
I would say the answer to the first questions is yes, it can move through a friendly unit. Up to now, correct me if I'm wrong, stalk is only used by / given to Individuals. At the point an Individual moves within four inch of an unit, it is considered part of the unit...so it should be allowed to move through the unit... ;)

just my two cents...

Anomander Rake
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 06:40:56 AM »
Mwahahahaha!!!!!  I will really enjoy springing my Scavenger now!  I popped him on a Troll, effectively removing his Wait counter (the rules say you have to use the wait to attack the backstabbing would-be assassin), and the Wolf Totem leaped into his back.  It was a great moment as a Dwarf player.  Cheers.

As for the Shield Wall bit.  I know it would be cheesy to have the Scavenger jump one of the models in the middle; I'm just trying to get the most out this sneaky cheeky model.  Cheers again. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 06:44:16 AM »
As for the Shield Wall bit.  I know it would be cheesy to have the Scavenger jump one of the models in the middle

As I read the rules it doesn't matter which of the models in shield wall you are attacking...casualities will always be taken off the sides of the formation...so attacking the shieldwall in the middle will kill one meber at the flank... :P

just my two cents...

Anomander Rake
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.