Author Topic: Rangers S&W .45 Revolver  (Read 6050 times)

Pax

Rangers S&W .45 Revolver
« on: May 16, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
Got a question about this gun. It's description makes it sound like it should do more damage than a ordinary gun (Man killer, tremendous stopping power at close range, making every shot count). But when compared with a Bolter it's actually equal in DMG 8, they got the same CC value -1, the Bolter is more accurate in PB 2 vs 1 and both got the same mod on SR 0. They both do Ballistic damage and neither got any load outs/ special rules.

All in all the M-13 Bolter seem to be the better gun.

My guess is that the S&W is incorrect on the DMG, perhaps 9 instead of 8. Or it's lost a special rule or type of dmg along the way.

Edit: fixed some typos, and added some fluff form the weapon description
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 01:09:27 AM by Pax »

Offline Enker

Re: Rangers S&W .44 Revolver
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 12:55:59 AM »
I've thought the same as I read through my troops the last time.
They have a damn cool revolver and its nothing but usuall.
Would suit them good if it were more powerfull, esp. with infiltrate.
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: Rangers S&W .45 Revolver
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 04:53:51 AM »
 Don't confuse fluff for rules.  When you are dealing with a game at the 28mm level, a pencil sized hole and a dime sized hole pretty much do the same sort of damage.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »
Don't confuse fluff for rules.  When you are dealing with a game at the 28mm level, a pencil sized hole and a dime sized hole pretty much do the same sort of damage.

Karma to you sir.  Thanks for picking this one up.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Pax

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 10:59:13 PM »
Very well, It just seemed strange for a weapon that is mentioned to be more damaging, to not be when there is other guns that do more damage and got better range stats. The S&W probably got the worst stats of the guns when compared, The Piranha Handgun that is the only weapon with the same poor stats do 9dmg.

I remember the gun from 2nd edition did about 10 dmg, so I'm just finding it strange that it now do less. And really, the firing power of a weapon of the .44 caliber is quite more than a dime in entry hole. It is able to penetrate at least twice the amount of length and the exit wound probably is about a fist in size if not more. It shreds things it hit :/

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 03:00:55 AM »
You are missing the point. 

It's just fluff.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Pax

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 03:49:43 AM »
very well, only fluff then. :)

Offline Lopis

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 04:36:49 AM »
Hey Pax just use it!

You´ll get to create your own fluff on the weaponry.

All to add:

Strike Skimmer : last action, opposing Battlewalker one wound left after firing the HMG.
Skimmer driver pulls out his Equalizer on shot, hit : BOOM .
That´s the fluff out of play and you´ll think otherwise of the handguns afterwards  ;D

If its urgent, rely on Bauhaus waeponry!
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline Lopis

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 04:43:00 AM »
Ah and another one:

Ask bagomba about his nepharite falling to a Nemesis-Handgun.
He still hates me for that....

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 06:16:27 PM »
Hey Pax just use it!

All to add:

Strike Skimmer : last action, opposing Battlewalker one wound left after firing the HMG.
That´s the fluff out of play and you´ll think otherwise of the handguns afterwards  ;D

I cannot help myself; are you kidding about the Equalizer?  The Skimmer Driver may only use his Actions to drive (or hold in position) the skimmer.  The driver's pistol may never be used in anger.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Pax

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 08:28:39 PM »
Hey Pax just use it!

All to add:

Hah, sounds fun but to be a bit picky, your equalizer got 2 on PB and 9 dmg. It's chances to hit and kill something is more than the S&W :P

Really I do like pistols, but I'm still a bit at lost why a elite unit would carry a weapon that is less accurate and do equal damage to the standard issued pistol. I do hope their point cost was less than if they had used a ordinary M-13 pistol. :P

Oh, and even if it's just fluff it creates a feeling about certain weapons and units. And while the gun just as the fluff states, is less accurate it do not do the extra punch damage it speaks about, that is why I got stuck on it. Now I wish my rangers got another gun instead :/

Offline Enker

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »
The new slogan for the S&W .45

"The S&W .45 Revolver. Six warning shots and one aimed throw!"
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline Lopis

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 01:49:51 AM »

I cannot help myself; are you kidding about the Equalizer?  The Skimmer Driver may only use his Actions to drive (or hold in position) the skimmer.  The driver's pistol may never be used in anger.
[/quote]

Yeah you´re absolutely right. Checked it and found the error.
On my reference list there´s a stat for his CC and RC and since he has a gun I was of the opinion that he could fire it.
I have to have missed the line while transferring the stats on the cards.
Arrrgh!

Have to apologize for that.
Thanks for mentioning it. It never occured to me and noone protested ´til now.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 01:55:08 AM by Lopis »