Author Topic: Mutant Chronicles Dies the Death AGAIN!  (Read 7977 times)

Offline leutenantbrittan

Mutant Chronicles Dies the Death AGAIN!
« on: April 09, 2009, 01:06:32 PM »
Hi!

It looks like Fantasy Flight have dropped their Mutant Chronicles game siting lack of player uptake as the reason. I cant say Im too surprised as they took a well established game with some fantastic imagery, rules and miniatures and turned it into a collectable prepainted monstrosity, instantly loosing 90%+ of its fans!

The good news is that they also seem to be trying to unload the rights to the game to someone else so fingers crossed there will be a new 28mm scale, unpainted metal range come out from some enterprising sort (although Im not holding my breath...)

Is the game cursed or something??

Offline Melanieshaman

Re: Mutant Chronicles Dies the Death AGAIN!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 01:11:26 PM »
I just posted about this..

http://forum54.oli.us/index.php?topic=4981.0

sad sad :( Thom? anyone? please....

Offline leutenantbrittan

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 01:23:16 PM »
Ahem! I knew I should have looked to see if anyone had posted it yet! (totally agree with your comments on the plastics on the other part of the forum! The low point for me was the Martian Banshee as he went from being an instantly recognisable troop with his red armour, blocky capitol shoulder pads and white screaming mask to an unidentifiable gray plastic thing with a flight stand stuck somewhere painful!)

While its sad to see Mutant Chronicles go its also a chance for someone to pick it up and do something decent with it (the rights cant be worth much now after it failed again and with the movie supposed to be utter rubbish) it would be great to see a new Warzone type skirmish game in the Mutant Chronicles universe!

I loved first edition as its what first got me back into wargaming after losing interest in 40k and would love to see a small scale game like that with a couple of squads a side...

Imagine what the miniatures could look like when sculpted by some of the talented types out there these days!!

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 01:43:11 PM »
i agree... first ed. is the one that got me... but honestly i wanna see more of UWZ with more scalability to small skirmish style to larger games. 

Ya, i really dislike the look of what FFG did to my beloved Brotherhood

Offline leutenantbrittan

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 02:08:22 PM »
Alas I never managed to pick up UWZ but did have second edition which went a bit 40k...

I did pick up the last edition of Chronopia but found the quality of the book itself a bit poor (many of the pics of miniatures were badly pixilated and I quite liked the separate books for different areas!)

Its a bit of the holy grail of games to be able to play everything from small skirmishes to huge battles without getting bogged down! I may have to rummage out my old Warzone books as I am looking for a good Sci-fi game to give me a break from fantasy (Leviathan is taking up far too much of my time at the moment and Uni is proving to be quite a bit of work too!)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 03:44:50 AM »
It looks like MC the non-collectable game has actually taken off a little. I know it has a few die hard players.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 10:11:22 AM »
What CMG by FFG? Hmm? Did I miss something???  No...I guess I didn't.

D

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 05:31:13 PM »
Maybe I should track down Mike Z and offer my well-intentioned condolences....HEHEHE  :P
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline pinksuezo

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 09:49:06 PM »
you know why the game died so quick?  54mm.

you know why they made it 54mm?  so the mutant chronicles/wz old-guard (and new fans too) wouldn't just use the metal minis as proxies.

sad blow for the possibility of a mutant chronicles resurrection, but it sorta deserved it too.
REPORT HERESY. IT'S YOUR DUTY.

In Nomine Cardinalis

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:56:52 AM »
Maybe I should track down Mike Z and offer my well-intentioned condolences....HEHEHE  :P

Not nice Topkick.

Go ahead dude.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline TwoGunBob

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »
We weren't the demographic anyways!!!!!!  ;D

Hell, I took one look at Golgotha and was pretty much floored with how bad the mini was. Really none of my skin was sacrified. Time for Uber Ultimate Warzone although I don't think Paradox will find any takers to lease the license again.
Currently playing:
Bow House: Saggy Old Ellie
Dark Lesion: Ill Ian, Whored
Empirical: I D... Ef' Em

Offline Arklite

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 07:29:23 PM »
I found the development of the game entirely too distasteful. After I finally saw the finished product, I was even more non-plussed. Had someone actually listened to the gaming community when the scale was announced, perhaps something could have been done to save it, but the project appeared stillborn. Too-large minis, sub-par paintwork, and too expensive price-tags all contributed to the swift downfall.