Author Topic: Question about Tactical sense  (Read 4508 times)

Pax

Question about Tactical sense
« on: April 05, 2009, 02:41:20 AM »
I have been searching the forum for a answer to this question but found none so far, so I'm posting this to ask:

Tactical Sense

This Special Ability is getting me slightly confused when reading the Ultimate Warzone rules.

If I read the rules correctly, Tactical Sense is a special ability that let a single model make a LD check and then change it's own target priority (if not a target is within PB/SR depending on type of unit) to any unit on the field within LoS. Then it get's a bit confusing for me.

It say later that "If clear, the model must pass an LD test for each model in the Squad with Tactical Sense. Success allows the model to shift their fire to the closest target in the Squad of their choice." This mean that a unit leader with this ability is able to redirect the fire of his whole team as long as each of them succeed in a roll vs his LD value.

#Q: If this is true, then how come that the Sergeants of the following Elite units in Capitols: Sea Lions, Free Marines, Assault Marines, Rangers, Sunset Striker and Martian Banshees all lack this Special Ability, While the Sergeants of the Grunt Forces: Light, Heavy and Airborne Rangers all have this Special ability?

It seems strange that the majority of the Elite units of a force is unable to have their Sergeants give them Orders to use their abilities to the best. As I see it, most Elite units currently have to fire at whatever is closest as it is while the Grunts are more able to be tactically deployed to take out threats.

Last: It's nice to join on this forum, I was afraid that Warzone had died out completely these last 10 years. :D

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
Re: Question about Tactical sense
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »
That is an interesting question...

From my pov with respect to the Elite units...

These units tend to be better marksmen and/or have better weaponry, whatever they are firing at tends to get hammered and are no longer an issue to be faced at the end of the shooting phase.

Granted, we all know this can backfire and there will be times you really want your accurate shots to pick off that further unit...  It may have been an oversight in the design of these lists or it might be a specific reason for it- I'm not terribly certain on that and I'm sorry I don't.

That said,  I've never run into a problem with it as my Elites in Capitol (usually Rangers in a Ground) tend to have specific missions in mind when I play... or work as shock troops (Free Marines) hitting enemy line units in order to open up a hole for advance or area denial.  All in what you are looking to do with them, really.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »
It's one more thing needs clarification and tidying up.  As I'm still learning Warzone, and getting more confused playing Chronopia, Savage Worlds and Spinespur, my head is spinning around this.

We'll sic the FAQ team and the whole forum on this.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »
First, Pax, welcome!  Always great to see new faces!

As for Tac Sense, Archer is, as usual, correct.  The units that you use as examples do not have the Tactical Sense (TacSense, TS) Special Ability (SA).  This is a design feature that prevents Elites being the only units that ever fire all. 

In other words, if I could hide my lowly, low-RC models, or have them engage easier targets like advancing Close Combat models while having my Elites take out all the important, high-value stuff, I would!  Who wouldn't?

Basically, it is a game-balancing mechanism. 
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Pax

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 11:59:10 PM »
Alright, it slightly ruined the impression of my elites and what I can do with them, but I'm sure I will be able to adjust and adapt. :) One or two of the captains got the Tactical Sense so I suppose I could get them to take command and use them.

thx :)

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 05:48:57 AM »
Alright, it slightly ruined the impression of my elites and what I can do with them, but I'm sure I will be able to adjust and adapt. :) One or two of the captains got the Tactical Sense so I suppose I could get them to take command and use them.

thx :)

No worries...

With the Elites for Capitol, they all tend to have a specific mission... and Tac Sense on some of these units would cause them to be distracted from that mission. :)
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Lopis

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 08:45:09 AM »
One or two of the captains got the Tactical Sense so I suppose I could get them to take command and use them.

Thatīs what you should do if you want TacSense. Some of the Capitolian Commanders are pretty cheap and give you also a decent plus on the LD.
Further you get that meatshield around your individuals in return ;-)
Solus honor cladem avertat !