Author Topic: My first army?  (Read 14176 times)

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: My first army?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 06:05:14 AM »
that's besides the point.  The support choices are just expanded to the other Dukes force lists.  Capitol is the same way, with all Grunts residing in the Infantry and the Elite selections coming from the Naval and Ground lists.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 10:15:37 AM »
thanks.
so, having cleared that medics are not very useful...

I disagree.  I have used medics quite well.  If the medic can heal just two models throughout the game, that is two more models firing that would, ordinarily, not be firing.  A medic 5 is a good shot at healing someone.  How many criticals (1's) do you roll in a given game?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 10:19:20 AM »
i'm sorry but dmcgee said the opposite in the other thread
If the individual is taken as support, it is just that - support.  As long as there are two grunts to qualify it, then the maodel may be taken.  It does not require a further unit to qualify it.

i'm getting confused... :-[

I hate it when I misspeak - please, point it out to me.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 10:31:22 AM »
...wrong.

in order to get an individual you have to have a qualifying squad from that same force, even though he is support Konrad still needs at least one other Romanov Support squard.  Just like Cartel and Tribes the Support options must be legal force lists in their own right.

-PFC joe

I think we're going to have to figure this one out, Joe.  The book states (p. 199):
    Duke Elector Forces
    Plyers wishing to field a Duke Elector force must first select a Duke Elector as their patron. They may then select freely from the Homebuilder list, the Duke Elector's list, and the Support list.  Additionally[/b] troops may be selected from another Duke Elector's list, but a squad taken in that manner will count as a support unit. [inserted: squad can be any unit, I believe]

Normal buying criteria applies to the above choices.  A player must have two infantry units for each support unit, and one infantry unit for each elite.  As normal, a player must have one squad per individual taken.[/list]

To me, this means that I can take von Juntz in a non-Romanov force, as long as I have two grunt units and another unit (either Romanov or not) to qualify him.  I do not see how it has to be a Romanov unit.  An individual that is not squad-linked is free to be chosen so long as theere is the qualifying unit to do so.
    « Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 10:33:23 AM by dmcgee1 »

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
    « Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 12:59:36 PM »
    so you mean that an individual that counts as support would need to have 2 grunt units + another grunt or elite unit (from anywhere), right?

Anyway, for the medic:
    ducal militia medic. (vs another ducal militia or ducal militia medic)
    medic level 4, has 1/5 chance to cure, i.e. 20%
    for SR and MR, RC is 7. AR is 18. DM is 11.
    With a single action you get a 22,75% chance at wounding (thus killing) the opponent, and a 20% chance at curing a wounded model.
    So, in fact, even if the medic could try curing the same model as many times as it wants during the same turn, it would be more effective at shooting then at curing.
    So, while I might have cured 10 of my men each turn, my opponent, with the same models to start with as me, will have probably killed 11 of my men (and I have killed none because I am using all my actions to cure, that's assuming i could really attempt to cure as many times as I want).

And, i'm not taking in account the extra cost for the medic ability, plus the fact that the medic needs to wast actions to move close to other models to cure.
    « Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 01:03:38 PM by chribu »

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
    • Administrator
    • Member Emeritus
    • Ask away!
    « Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 01:22:16 PM »
    Simply number-crunching does not do the medic ability justice.  If you get a model back, and that model winds up killing two or more enemy models, is it worth it then?  I think so.  I can name several times a medic has helped me, but none better than the time my Pauldron Medic healed my Vulkan Sergeant after it was sniped.  The next turn, it got up and laid waste to three models, including the sniper that put it down.

Archer will always have that taste in his mouth.  That alone will keep him gunning for me, I hope. ;)

Miss ya, John.
    « Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 01:26:44 PM by dmcgee1 »

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
    • Administrator
    • Member Emeritus
    • Ask away!
    « Reply #21 on: January 15, 2006, 01:25:04 PM »
    ...and I just got beat last game by a squad of Phoenix Samurai backed by Amaterasu, healing them even after I dropped two of them and wounded the third!

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
    • Private First Class
    • assistance from a distance
      • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
    « Reply #22 on: January 15, 2006, 01:49:13 PM »
    as i've understood it, as with Cartel individuals, the Individual as a support would need an elite as a support from the same house in order to be purchased.  This will probably have to come from the top, Thom, as it is very unclear.

-PFC joe
    Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Daikoku

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2006, 05:24:13 PM »
    IF you wanted Von Juntz AND Vulkans in that force you COULD do it legally....

2 squads ducal (count as gunts for ANY house)
    1 squad Vulkans(Support choice)
    Von Juntz(Individual, making your force technically a house Romanov force)

of course I'd go with Viktors...but that's just because I tend to like to take fluff into consideration when I build my forces.

Life is a mountain, death is a feather, duty is all  -  Mishiman Proverb

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
    « Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 01:35:18 PM »
    Ok, after I found out that "standard" italian Warzone tournament rules allow only one unit of each type (except grunts) in a classic 500pt match, here are my ideas:

A)
    Ducal Militia 4+sgt+hmg
    Vulkans 4+sgt
    Dragoons 4+sgt
    GT Offroad

B)
    Ducal Militia 4+sgt+hmg
    Vulkans 4+sgt
    Hussars 4+sgt+HMG (or FT)
    Konrad Von Junts

Option A has more firepower, option B has an impressive 18 initiative LD and can help with morale and rallying.

Comments & ideas?

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
    « Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 01:52:32 PM »
    i think the second force is more flexible. It has a high DAM output through all the HMG's (I'd think of taking a gl or sniper maybe instead of one HMG). The Commander allows you to go for the Ini more easy and also keeps the army moral stable (at least in the area he is in).

Conclusion: nice competetive force  ;)
    He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest