Author Topic: My first army?  (Read 14195 times)

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
My first army?
« on: January 14, 2006, 03:02:29 PM »
What do you think of this.

Ducal Militia: 4 trooper + sgt + medic
Ducal Militia: 4 trooper + sgt + medic
Vulkan: 4 vulkans + sgt
Konrad von Juntz (for an 18LD army initiative)

and with the 19 spare pts (to 500) add an extra trooper to one of the militias
?

It is legal to use corp grunt/elite/officers load outs even if the models don't mention anything about them, right?

Offline sleeping_squirrel

• Journeyman
Re: My first army?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 03:30:47 PM »
Kick off one medic (may be both, they are quite useless).

It is legal to use corp grunt/elite/officers load outs even if the models don't mention anything about them, right?

Yes.

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 04:12:37 PM »
I agree...lose the medics...

I'm not a big fan of the medics because the odds are not in your favor that they are going to "heal" the wound...use those points on load outs or maybe a more troops...

B.
faith healer extraordinaire....
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline chribu

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 04:48:31 PM »
yep, thanks, you're right, I just did some statistical analisys and they don't seem to be worth it.

can a force commander use all his abilities in a 500pt army?

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 05:07:36 PM »
No, its kind of pointless to have a Force Commander in a 500pt army.  Well thats not exactly true, they still tend to be very good individual but you wont get the same benefit from a force commander in a small force as you would in a large force.

I would probably go with one GL and one HMG for your grunt squads.

Offline chribu

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 05:36:49 PM »
what abilities does he have? As divisional commander or just unit commander?

i could really dump konrad and go for more heavy stuff (+ vulkans, or hmg-85t, or gt offroad)... but i'm afraid morale and initiative might be a big issue.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 05:57:55 PM »
You can't take any more support in that force, in fact after a closer look thats not a legal force.  Since you have Juntz I'm going to assume you're building a Romanov army, in which case you can't field Vulkan's since they're from a different list, and while you could take forces from another elector house as you one support slot both your main army and your allied house support both have to meet all buying criteria which means you would need 4 grunt squads, which qualifies you for 2 support slots with which you can take a Richthausen grunt squad and a squad of Vulcans.

My advice would be to just replace the Vulkans with Viktors, which keeps all your units from the same elector house.

A force commander has all of the abilities of a division and unit commander plus are required to call in off board Fire Mission support, but because Fire mission support also calls for at least 6 squads and a forward observer its pretty much impossible in a 500pt game.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 09:02:18 PM »
You can't take any more support in that force, in fact after a closer look thats not a legal force.  Since you have Juntz I'm going to assume you're building a Romanov army, in which case you can't field Vulkan's since they're from a different list, and while you could take forces from another elector house as you one support slot both your main army and your allied house support both have to meet all buying criteria which means you would need 4 grunt squads, which qualifies you for 2 support slots with which you can take a Richthausen grunt squad and a squad of Vulcans.

Not correct.  Bauhaus may take any unit as a support option if it is from a different Duke Elector House.  Therefore, the force is legal.  This a special rule for Bauhaus.

My advice would be to just replace the Vulkans with Viktors, which keeps all your units from the same elector house.

Not good advice.  The Vulkans could be the support choice, as Konrad (in a Romanov Force) is allowed to be there by virtue of having the Militia (Homebuilder Grunts are the grunts for all Bauhaus Houses).  Point for point, Vulkans are better firepower, even against big fuglies.  I only use Viktors when I think that there's a good chance I'll be seeing lots of high-armor tagets or vehicles, or if I want to bring the RLP.  Their extra WD comes in handy too - they need it to get into range as their weapon only reaches into MR, and their AR is lower than the Vulkans.

A force commander has all of the abilities of a division and unit commander plus are required to call in off board Fire Mission support, but because Fire mission support also calls for at least 6 squads and a forward observer its pretty much impossible in a 500pt game.

True.  Force Commanders may not excercise all of their abilities unless there are at least three other officers and at least six squads.  Therefore, Force Commanders become Unit and/or Divisional Commanders - they may, still, be present.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 09:04:23 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 09:10:10 PM »
Huh, I though the Bauhaus ability to select from other dukes worked in the same fashion as the DL ability to select from cult or horde such that each part of the force has to saticfy all normal force composition rules independently.

The only reason I advised him to change for viktors was that I thought a force with Vulkans was violating force composition, and Viktors would make his force legal, I know the Vulkans are the better unit.

I didn't mean to say he couldn't take a force commander, just that it wouldn't be able to make use of all its abilities.

Sorry for being confused and ambiguous, thanks for helping me out Dmcgee1.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 09:42:20 PM »
No problem.  Forgive me - I did not mean to intone that you had anything but the interest to help.  As for the DL, I think that that is, still, up in the air.  The rules, as I see them, should work much like Bauhaus.  The DL rules state, specifically, that Cult or Horde may be selected, and they are legal units that are able to qualify other units, and should be allowed to do so.

I will be speaking to Thom at his and my earliest convenience on this, as there are several people that need and official ruling, ASAP, for the Dreamation Tourney.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline chribu

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 03:49:39 AM »
thanks.
so, having cleared that medics are not very useful, and individuals from other dukes count just as support, i could then do the following
ducal 4+1
ducal 4+1+HMG
vulkan 2+1
vulkan 2+1
konrad

right?

btw, in general is it best to have few big squads or many small squads?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 05:14:45 AM »
ducal 4+1
ducal 4+1+HMG
vulkan 2+1
vulkan 2+1
konrad

wrong.

in order to get an individual you have to have a qualifying squad from that same force, even though he is support Konrad still needs at least one other Romanov Support squard.  Just like Cartel and Tribes the Support options must be legal force lists in their own right.

Your first list was legal as a Romanov force with Vulkan support.

In general I prefer to have odd numbered squads with five or seven troops.  This is due to panic checks occouring at fifty percent of the squad.  It also becomes unwieldy to have large masses of troops falling all over each other in the Command distance while small numbers of troops can be quickly nullified by the loss of two or three members.

Dark Legion is the only thing that is different where the Horde/Cult lists are independant of the Apostle lists entirely.

-PFC joe
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 05:19:40 AM by PFC joe »
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline chribu

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 05:21:00 AM »
i'm sorry but dmcgee said the opposite in the other thread
If the individual is taken as support, it is just that - support.  As long as there are two grunts to qualify it, then the maodel may be taken.  It does not require a further unit to qualify it.

i'm getting confused... :-[

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 05:35:01 AM »
huh... yeah he did didn't he.

I was always under the impression that even though you may choose elites from other houses as support options it still behaved as the Cartel and Tribes do, ie being bound to normal force purchasing requirements.  nowhere else can you get an individual as a single support option without a squad prior.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline chribu

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 05:58:02 AM »
there is one thing though. if bahuas had to obey rules, they wouldn't be able to have any squads from other dukes at all, because there are no grunts in duke forces, but only elite and individuals.