Author Topic: Terrain Ideas  (Read 64291 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: Terrain Ideas
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 03:42:49 AM »
It ocured to me this morning before I got onto the forum that I am remiss in not pointing out that this terrain was made possible with the generous help of Petru5!

I need to get more pics done but perhaps someone will take some at T-3!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 05:49:49 AM »
No it's a two part resin you mix - no heating.  A little stinky smelling but not a prob after it hardens.

D

Is there a brand name for this please? I assume you can find it at a train/hobby shop correct?

And answered - Easy Cast is sold at Michael's Arts and Crafts.

Thanks for the help!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:43:36 AM by luckyone »
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 06:58:35 AM »
It occurred to me this morning before I got onto the forum that I am remiss in not pointing out that this terrain was made possible with the generous help of Petru5!

Now you're just gonna make me blush...

Seriously, those planes look very good!  I'll be honest and say that I didn't think they'd 'fit' the look, but I should know better than doubt you, Veez!  I especially like what you did with the canopies.  Still big (you cna't do anything about that), but they look cool!
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 12:10:03 PM »
So are ye coming up for the event Veez?
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 12:48:01 PM »
I gotta track down terrain like that for my Foxfire style scenario.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »
The next time Lanard has their holiday sale, I'll send out a post to everyone.  They are good for planes and APCs that can be converted to WZ purposes.
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 06:04:25 PM »
I might be dropping off stuff on Friday around noonish but I can't stay for the event.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
No it's a two part resin you mix - no heating.  A little stinky smelling but not a prob after it hardens.

D

Is there a brand name for this please? I assume you can find it at a train/hobby shop correct?

And answered - Easy Cast is sold at Michael's Arts and Crafts.

Thanks for the help!

Went to the local Micheal's (sp) to look for the famous Easy Cast 2 part resin. They did not have it. I was in a rush so I will have to call and ask if they can order it for me.

Hopefully the store will not be a geographical anomaly and be 2 weeks from everywhere. 2000 bonus points to the person who get that movie reference. Think Homer's The Odyssey.
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »
Uh, Oh Brother Where Art Thoug?

If it's the same clear stuff that you add eyedroppers of catalyst into it should be something they carry regularly; it's the same stuff the crystals are all made out of.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2009, 01:28:22 PM »
Uh, Oh Brother Where Art Thoug?

If it's the same clear stuff that you add eyedroppers of catalyst into it should be something they carry regularly; it's the same stuff the crystals are all made out of.

Correct!

I will check that isle when I return to the store. I will also call and ask. Thanks again for the help.

I am a Dapper Dan Man myself.

R U N N O F T
The entire Capitol Army.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2009, 09:02:28 AM »
After going to Dav'e house and looking at all the work everyone did to improve the already awesome boards, I have decided not to do the jungle terrain board for next year. The one at Dav'e house has been improved by none other than Thom himself. Along with the other boards, I can say they are in the best shape I have ever seen them.

I make this decision based on the current boards for next year's Talamania and the fact that I need to paint my figs. Even Thom mentioned it would be nice if I had a painted army to play with.

I will improve and add to the foldable table (green) board of mine at Dave's. I would like to add several new hills with more distinct level changes. I would like also to swap out the tree bases for smaller pine tree clusters that can count as light or heavy obscurement. I would like to also add some jungle tree cluster for variety.

So right now I have:

Chariot (Warzone)
Upgrade terrain
Paint figures for next year's Talamania.

The entire Capitol Army.

Offline Kaile_Bloodhammer

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2009, 04:28:41 PM »
Terrain idea that I have been kicking around lately has been a roof tops table.  Building a couple dozen 2-4" high boxes of various sizes.  Throw on some boxes bridges and wires and you have a very unque battle setting.

Offline dave kufner

• The Matrix has you
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2009, 05:02:10 PM »
What I would do would be to take said roof tops and just make them part of the regular building terrain.  ie just make them removable so you can set up a roof top table or a table with buildings.
Qui Desiderat Pascem Preperat Bellum

My Blog

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2009, 08:35:27 PM »
Especially cool if you include them as part of a larger city-scape.  I can see the possibilities for a SuperSystem game (superhero game that is superb in its simplicity and pricing).

Topic shift...

I have mentioned that I'm interested in Uncharted Seas, a fantasy naval game reminiscent of Man-O-War.  I have purchased a couple of fleets as well as read the rules (Thumbs up on both counts...beautiful resin minis and the rules are simple, yet fun).  I was thinking about terrain for the game, as it's set around a whole mess of islands, some explored, some not.  My thoughts were:
  • Vacupack islands for around $30-$40 (too expensive)
  • Pirates collectible card game islands (too small)
  • Make foam islands (I will for larger islands...when I have the time)
  • plastic islands

Okay, the last option is an idea that fits into this forum.  www.hasbro.com has a 'Replacement parts' section that has proven very useful for a myriad of props and miscellaneous tidbits.  I looked up Life: Pirates of the Caribbean.  In regular Life, you have buildings and raised corners that the pathway takes.  In L:PotC, you have islands and island-like pathways!  Score!  For small islands that I can use as rocky outcroppings, these are perfect.  The pathways can be situated as shoals for harbor engagements or built up harbor defenses.  The best thing about this?  I got them for $2.50 a sprue, which includes three islands, three pathways and the spinner.  For another $2 I picked up the spinner base, which looks like a skull island.  I plan on using it as a citadel island, lighthouse island, the middle of a harbor, etc.  Generally, a point of interest in a scenario.

How does this tie into WZ or Chronopia?  Rocky outcroppings occur both on land and sea.   A weird obelisk set on top of a skull mound befits many macabre themes. 

I've included this picture for sizing purposes.  Sorry it's a little dark, but you get the idea.  That's a Dragonlord ship from Uncharted Seas.  Unfortunately, the pathways are just a tad too small for the standard round mini base, as seen in the pic.

-Private Hudson

Offline dave kufner

• The Matrix has you
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 03:45:33 AM »
Very cool idea.  I tend to look in the toy section with an eye out for anything that could be recycled into wargame use.  They also make rubber molds you can pour plaster in and make your own rocky out croppings.
Qui Desiderat Pascem Preperat Bellum

My Blog