Author Topic: Digital Picture Frame (And More) out of old Laptop  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Glenn M

Digital Picture Frame (And More) out of old Laptop
« on: March 10, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
My mum gave me her old laptop which wasn't working right anyways, so I thought I'd try my hand at making a Digital Picture frame out of it.

My cost to this point is $15.  I expect to not exceed $50 total.

All I have done so far was repaired the laptop to operating ability, then tore the thing apart and crammed the LCD into the picture frame, the core system is not been fitted yet, as the frame I bought is too shallow, I will have to extend the frame by about 2" deep.

Currently it can play music with visualization (though I need to get external wireless speakers for optimum output) view pictures, and check the weather.  It also automatically does a slide show of my primary picture folder when you let it idle for a few minutes.  My biggest issues are currently lag (the interface is almost too fancy for the system, I need to chop my windows down a bit to make it smoother and faster)

It will be able to stream video, audio, and pictures from my primary media center in my living room.  Be accessible via remote control (either Bluetooth or IR, not certain yet), potentially be usable as an SNES and NES emulator with a USB gamepad, this is not really a high priority though. 

Anyways, all this rambling is all well and good, but I bet your thinking, where's the damn pictures!!!

Interface

What's Left to Fit?

Now, I have a question for you, any of you have an old laptop you'd be willing to sell, I'd like to build between two and three more for family to give as presents.  I am looking for something around 1 ghz, 512 mb - 1 gb or ram, OS is uneeded, hardrive needs to be no more than say 10 gb.  I discovered I can hook up to a flikr account with this wirelessly and stream pictures from a specific account, so I was going to set one up for my dad's side of the family for his mom, and one for my mom's side of the family for her parents.  Then we could all share our photos and get them sent to my grandparents without them even having to ask.

Offline Von Koss

Re: Digital Picture Frame (And More) out of old Laptop
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »
Sorry no spare laptop here, but an ingenious idea Glenn M....impressive!
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:41:26 PM »
very nice thing, wonder why not commercially avalible, esp with everyone has flatrate now!

however, doesnīt  it suck up a lot of juce, beeing a rather powerful computer, for a picture-frame?
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »
Looks pretty neat. Good way to use old laptops!
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 08:50:52 AM »
You should post that on BoingBoing.com, they enjoy creativity like that there!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 03:15:05 PM »
Alright, so, I managed to sorta cram it all together, I didn't extend the frame as planned, instead I just attached the old laptop housing with the basics still inside to the frames backing.  I managed to lose my picture hanging stuff though . . . .

Once I gather that stuff up I'll be sure to take some pictures of it running so you can check it out, there is still some configuration needed and the matte still has to be adjusted to get more viewing area, but it still looks ten times better than most of the stuff in stores.  My media center that I'll be streaming my music and video from is currently down with a nasty virus and will be getting repaired this weekend, then I'll be redoing my whole network to try and get things running better.