Author Topic: Chronopia Miniature Proxy Thread  (Read 29735 times)

Offline Von Koss

Chronopia Miniature Proxy Thread
« on: March 08, 2009, 09:35:02 AM »
Hey guys I thought it might be helpful to have this thread in case anyone is looking for proxy models to use for their games of Chronopia.  So here is one for a start:

I have been putting a lot of thought into using Desert Crawlers and Tenebrous Crawlers for games with my Stygian force and I was wondering if anyone had the miniature of the Purple Worm from D&D's War of the Queen plastic mini line.  I'm looking for a comparison pic with it next to a Chronopia model so I can get a sense of scale.  If anyone out there uses a different miniature to proxy as their "Crawlers" I would love to hear from you as I'm trying to fill this vacancy in my Stygian force.  Thanks,
VK
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Glenn M

Re: Chronopia Miniature Proxy Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 03:51:24 PM »
I have a purple worm, however I do not have the Desert Crawler, but I intend to repaint a Purple Worm for the Desert Crawler.  For the Tenebrous Crawler, you'll need something a fair amount larger, once upon a time I had made one out of Oven Back Clay and some Foam, but it got broken too badly to bother repairing, and I never replaced it.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »
Thanks Glenn M, you wouldn't happen to have a pic with the worm next to some chronopia minis?

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 03:58:06 AM »
I have a purple worm, however I do not have the Desert Crawler

I didn't think this was that kind of post!   :o
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:42:27 AM »
Chuckle.  Nice to see we're both juvenile delinquents, Veez.

As for the D&D purple worm and the Stygian Desert Crawler, I'll see what I can do for a comparison photo, if I can find any memory left in my brain, and borrow a model from my GM.

Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »
I just peeked around to find it for you and I have no idea where it is at right now, but it's near the same height as Sisters of Tiamat IRCC.

Wedge

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 12:44:16 PM »
I agree that the Purple Worm is on the small side if you want it to represent the tenbrous crawler; however, the base is the right size.  It is a perfect size to use for its trample ability.  I think if the PW model was twice its current width it would be perfect.  It's also a very cool looking model.

http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/TSR/TSR95052-21_500.jpeg

I don't have a model comparison in this picture however, I can tell you that a Size 2 Chronopia fig would be just a little bit taller than the highest rock on the base on the left as you look at this picture (the worm's right).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:47:57 PM by Wedge »

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 02:14:18 PM »
I've got them both - I'll post a pic shortly of the two next to each other.
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 04:35:34 PM »
I appreciate the help with this guys.  Now that I'm armed with this kind of information, I feel a conversion coming on.  I'm thinking of adding bits from the company "that shall not be named" especially from their sci-fi "bug range".  I don't have the model yet but I'm working on it and I will post pics of the conversion process when I can find the time.  Again, thanks for the help.

I would still love to see a comparison photo with a chronopia mini just so I can get an idea of which bits I will need to pick up.  I'm going to try to convert it as close as possible with the photos in the rulebook.

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 04:48:44 PM »
Here you go:

The Purple worm's top coil stands slightly taller than the top of the Crawler's head... the PW is a lot longer and thinner, but the Crawler masses about the same - and the actual figure weighs a *lot* more, of course, being metal.  The Crawler's head is a bit bigger than the PW's head, it could swallow larger things whole, I think.

-Alex
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:00:52 AM by Alxbates »
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 06:39:08 PM »
  I was not aware that a Crawler model had been made.  How much does the metal model go for $ wise and where can I find one, if possible?

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 03:34:00 AM »
Differences and off-color jokes aside, the purple worm looks like it's about the right size and shape for a good proxy.  I wonder if they are readily available on Ebay or elsewhere.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 12:07:56 PM »
I got the Purple Worm off of Ebay for six or seven dollars, if I recall correctly.

The Crawler is one of the last models produced by Excelsior Entertainment, it was never widely available.  Occasionally one pops up on Ebay, but that's about it.  IIRC since it was an EE model, that means the mold was destroyed, so no more will ever be made.
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 05:25:08 AM »
Thanks Alex.  That was faster than I'd have gotten the photo together.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 03:59:48 PM »
Well, I just bought myself a purple worm from ebay.  I will try to do some type of a "step by step" process of the conversion in my project log for those who are interested when it gets here.

*Next*
What miniatures do you guys think would be good to proxy for the Devout Dusk Realm Warriors & the Forgotten?

2010- 294 (fail)