Author Topic: Cybertronic Cuisinart Division - Attack Force  (Read 7822 times)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
Cybertronic Cuisinart Division - Attack Force
« on: February 13, 2009, 06:49:46 PM »
Was toying around with this army for my next game --

1) Machinators MK I    x6 + x1 LMG Spec
2) Machinators MK I    x6 + x1 LMG Spec
3) Machinators MK I    x6 + x1 LMG Spec
4) Machinators MK II   x6 + x1 HMG Spec
5) Mirrormen             x8   Torso & Steel Skin Ehn
6) Reavers                x6   Torso & Steel Skin Ehn
7) 19th Silent           x6  + x1 Jaeger Commando   Steel Skin Ehn
8 ) 19th Silent Capt,   x1   

1740 pts

Obviously this is a largely CC force -  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:54:38 PM by warzoneD »

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
Re: Cybertronic Cuisinart Division - Attack Force
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »
Yes.

Machnator LMG/HMG's.... I find them to be a waste and you will find yourself not placing the pedal to the metal as you should with those units because you will subconsciously look for reasons to have the LMG/HMG shoot.

Mirrormen: split into two units.  You will get more punishment delivered out of two units of 4 than one of 8.  Trust me... or Ask jjdodger. Torso enhancement is overkill... I think the points should go elsewhere if there a place for it... if you expect B-F-UGLIES, then it makes sense.

Reavers... good size.  The Steelskin is worth it.  the Torso Enhancement is not for the same reason as above.

19th Silent.... Bait/diversionary unit.  I approve.  I think Shocktroopers are a better call for that but if you are planning on landing them on a flank, makes better sense.  If they are in the middle going "Come Get Me!!" then Shockers would be better for their smoke grenades.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 10:08:02 PM »
The only reason I like the LMGs/HMGs is they do help provide cover fire as I advance - esp. making the jump from one terrain zone to another.  I've used them to some effect, but not enough to say for sure I'm right.

I think you've got a great point about the Smokers-- I've just never really used the 19th Silents.  What do you use as proxy figs?  I have some EM-4 plastic marines, but I'm not in love with em.

D

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 06:14:00 AM »
19th.... you can use normal Chasseurs as the  primary weapon is the same.

LMG/HMG in the Machinators... Because I never found alot of success with them does not mean you won't.  Use them a few more times and see if they are an asset to the army efficiency or a drag on it.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 07:47:40 AM »
Yes.

Machnator LMG/HMG's.... I find them to be a waste and you will find yourself not placing the pedal to the metal as you should with those units because you will subconsciously look for reasons to have the LMG/HMG shoot.

Mirrormen: split into two units.  You will get more punishment delivered out of two units of 4 than one of 8.  Trust me... or Ask jjdodger. Torso enhancement is overkill... I think the points should go elsewhere if there a place for it... if you expect B-F-UGLIES, then it makes sense.

Reavers... good size.  The Steelskin is worth it.  the Torso Enhancement is not for the same reason as above.

19th Silent.... Bait/diversionary unit.  I approve.  I think Shocktroopers are a better call for that but if you are planning on landing them on a flank, makes better sense.  If they are in the middle going "Come Get Me!!" then Shockers would be better for their smoke grenades.

I disagree with John's assessment of LMG Machinators.  Firstly, a high-armor, two-wound MG platform at low-cost is an excellent addition to any force.  Three of them is enough fire at short-range to be a force all their own (see the Reavers). Secondly, they give pause to anyone who would step out into the open to start trying to mow down the machinators.

As for splitting the Mirrormen, with John, I agree, here.  Two squads are more manueverable, and give you an extra activation, to boot.  Any additioanl activations are good activations.

I am not big on spending points for enhancement, unless they are going to get used - a lot!  CC troops with steelskin and torso-enh. are good, assumming you get to use it before they're dead.  This is a completely personal thing - I would ensure that I am going to be using the points, whether spent on enhancements, or on another model or three.  Therefore, I would skip the torso-enh. on the Reavers, as I would be using them to lay down fire - not getting into CC.  Call it incentive to remain at firing range.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 01:49:06 PM »

I disagree with John's assessment of LMG Machinators.  Firstly, a high-armor, two-wound MG platform at low-cost is an excellent addition to any force.  Three of them is enough fire at short-range to be a force all their own (see the Reavers). Secondly, they give pause to anyone who would step out into the open to start trying to mow down the machinators.

And that's why it pays to get multiple opinions.  I found them to not be enough of a asset to the squad of swordboys to use them.  Different strokes and all that...  Everyone's mileage varies on them.

As for splitting the Mirrormen, with John, I agree, here.  Two squads are more manueverable, and give you an extra activation, to boot.  Any additioanl activations are good activations.

I can only echo this.... though I was thinking of the threat two units are over one.

I am not big on spending points for enhancement, unless they are going to get used - a lot!  CC troops with steelskin and torso-enh. are good, assumming you get to use it before they're dead.  This is a completely personal thing - I would ensure that I am going to be using the points, whether spent on enhancements, or on another model or three.  Therefore, I would skip the torso-enh. on the Reavers, as I would be using them to lay down fire - not getting into CC.  Call it incentive to remain at firing range.

LOL  100% agreement.  I generally don't  use enhancements at all unless there is a sound reason for the points or I have a few spare to blow.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 01:59:37 PM »
i too like the HMG/LMG maschinators.

if i use them, i let them charge towards the enemy just like normal Maschinators.

i found, that when they are close, and 1/2 or more collegues are broken they have plenty of targets.
also, they shoot better than the others fight, so mostly a gain in power.

of course, you wonīt tie up troops with them, but still worth it.
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 03:51:17 PM »
The reason I kept the Mirrormen together is that if someone tags 1 or 2 on the way in - you still have a decent sized force by the time you close.  And they always seem to draw fire in games I've played.

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 03:59:31 PM »
true, but (exept a more early + botched panic test) if you move 2 and later 4 that may even be better.

ok, the fist charge may not be as potent as possible, but you get to have more units and they could move to 2 places.

i would perhaps go with 5 man squads as they will soak as well as 8. (50% losses = test, not >50%???)
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 04:23:25 PM »
The reason I kept the Mirrormen together is that if someone tags 1 or 2 on the way in - you still have a decent sized force by the time you close.  And they always seem to draw fire in games I've played.

I think the key is to not commit them early.  Let them be the big threat they are.   I no longer have mine- traded them off sometime ago so I've not used them in some time.... but I know the temptation to charge right in with them is great.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 05:00:05 PM »
I've never been a hammerheaded tactician - I usually do hold them back a bit - I guess my opponents know me and hold back a little something too.  ;) :P :'(

One of my best games was used a fair amount of paradeploying troops -- In one round it was suddenly raining 20+ troopers - despite a whole lot of guys on wait - my opponent could decide which to shoot first.  With all his round spent in the air - I rushed by CC troops in and WHAMMO!  It was be-u-tiful.

D