Author Topic: This week in Geekdom, 2/1  (Read 13087 times)

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
This week in Geekdom, 2/1
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:58:20 AM »
Stemming from my posts about the Flash version of Aliens the Board Game, I thought I'd discuss the lovely topic of cooperative play games.  Over the years, I've found that I truly enjoy these sort of games.  We play so many competitive games that it's always interesting to see how people cooperate with each other (if at all).  More often than not, the inability to fully cooperate leads to the downfall of all in the game (and life). 

IMHO, there are two varieties:  'True' co-op and 'one off' co-op.  'One off' means that one of the players has to be the bad guy and not part of the team.  Any genre will do, but I'll kick off the game list.  Who knows?  Perhaps you'll discover a totally kick arse game that you'll have to own!

TRUE COOPERATIVE PLAY
  • Pandemic - Your team is trying to stem the outbreak of four viruses before the world is doomed (think Seamus's Chinese Bird Flu, plus three other diseases).
  • Lord of the Rings - You're the Hobbits, trying to get the One Ring into the fires of Mt. Doom.  One of my favorites!
  • Aliens - "Sir, is this a stand up fight, or a bug hunt?"  Umm, I'm gonna say the latter.
  • Zombie Plague - Zombies, need I say more?  Free download of game on boardgamegeek.com.
  • Vanished Planet - You each play a race of aliens, trying to stop The Creature from destroying everyone.

TRUE COOPERATIVE PLAY, WITH A TWIST
  • Shadows Over Camelot - Arthurian legends come to life, including the Traitor of the Round Table.
  • Battlestar Galactica - Who's the Cylon?  Will we get to Earth?
  • Betrayal at House on the Hill - We're all in this together, until one of us is revealed as the leader of a cannibalistic cult!(Just one of many possible 'twists' the game can take)

ONE OFF COOPERATIVE
  • Dead of Night - Another free zombie print & play, also found on BGG.
  • Last Night On Earth - Yet another zombie game.  Great game!
  • Doom: The Board Game - Like the video game?  Love the board game!  The Aliens evolution.
  • Descent - Dungeon-delving to the max!  HeroQuest evolution.
  • HeroQuest - This fantasy classic still rocks!
  • Advanced HeroQuest - The next step of HeroQuest, but still two generations behind Descent.
  • Space Crusade - Space Hulk lite?  Squad-based missions.
  • Advanced Space Crusade - More Space Hulkish than regular Space Crusade.
  • Space Hulk - Whether you like GW or not, this game was too cool!  And hard!!!
  • Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel - We know it and love it!
  • Mutant Chronicles: Fury of the Clansmen - See MC:SotC
  • Touch of Evil - Can you stop the vampire?
  • Fury of Dracula - Again, can you stop the vampire (but on a larger scale)?  I found this one very frustrating.
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Play as members of the 'Scooby Gang' and beat the Big Evils.

I'm sure there are plenty of games I've missed, but boardgamegeek is down for updating right now, so I can't reference them.  What's sad is that I either own, have owned, or have played almost all these. 

Have you played any of these?  If so, what'd you think?  What do you think of co-op games in general?  Which games did I miss?  Is there a genre that more readily suits co-op?  Inquiring minds want to know!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:33:50 AM by Petru5 »
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Nighthawk

Re: This week in Geekdom, 2/1
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:05:58 AM »
Arkham Horror is also a great true co-op game.  :)

I've played LOTR one time, but we (3 peeps) played it three times in a row, only winning in our last match. We made it by rushing forward combined with luck. I also have the Sauron expansion (which would make it into a one off co-op game) and are looking forward to try it out.

Heroquest is awesome, but I've bought Descent and have only tried out a demo game to learn the rules. And it seems very hard/intense, at least for the heroes, but I guess that's the way it's supposed to be. The sweeter the glory. ;)

The MC games rock, hard. ;D

Wedge

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 11:34:55 AM »
You forgot to mention Siege of the Citadel which I would categorize as Coop with a twist since each player takes turns being the bad guy.  I love that game!

Also Avalon Hill made several WWII genre games called AMBUSH.  And there were several expansions for it.  You could play it solo or what I found was fun, was to play it with a friend.  That made it a true coop game.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:37:14 AM by Wedge »

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:36:47 AM »
Descent is a long game, but plays very differently than its predecessor, Doom.  In Descent, each character grows so powerful by the end of each scenario, he/she is a tank in his/her own right.  In Doom, you have to maintain tight unit integrity and cover your backs...constantly...in order to have any chance of success.  I love them both, but for very different reasons.

Siege of the Citadel I listed as a 'one off' co-op game, as someone is always the bad guy.  Hmmm, I haven't heard of AMBUSH...how many players could play it?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:39:21 AM by Petru5 »
-Private Hudson

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 12:16:09 PM »
  Hmmm, I haven't heard of AMBUSH...how many players could play it?

Ambush was put out by Victory Games (A spinoff from Avalon Hill, when they decided to have a dedicated wargame group).

The play is considered to be pretty good, but would probably not scale well with more than two players.   Main gist is that you move around the board to fulfil you victory conditions, and when you "trigger" and event, you us the cut out card reader and cross reference the results, then go the to storybook and read the revealed result. 

There was also Shell Shock, a co-op game designed specifically for two players.  Though it was supposed to be similar to Ambush, most people consider it an inferior game. 

...and, there is also Open Fire, a solo game where you take the role of a Sherman tank crew in WW2.   

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »
In the case of AMBUSH & Shell Shock, the 2nd player would make it a co-op game, but solo games wouldn't count as cooperating with yourself shouldn't be too difficult! 

I owned Arkham Horror (the FFG edition), but didn't really like it.  One, it was too fiddly with all its bits.  Two, the learning curve was very steep.  Three, for a co-op game, there were many sessions where I felt that some characters were not able to contribute much to the fight, especially if the Elder (pick one) awakened.  I sold my copy and haven't looked back.  I'll play it, but it won't be my first pick.
-Private Hudson

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:34:21 PM »
I owned Arkham Horror (the FFG edition), but didn't really like it.  One, it was too fiddly with all its bits.  Two, the learning curve was very steep.  Three, for a co-op game, there were many sessions where I felt that some characters were not able to contribute much to the fight, especially if the Elder (pick one) awakened.  I sold my copy and haven't looked back.  I'll play it, but it won't be my first pick.

Ahh. Fair enough  :) I agree with it being a very steep learning curve. I've only had two 5 player sessions anyway (the more the merrier I guess), where we both times lost. I think the fluff is the strongest aspects of the game as well. And we also only played 30s-50s music during both games to get the mood right. And the feeling of never having any real control fits with the Cthtulu mythos. The guy that made Descent is the same that did Arkham (together with the original GW era designer) as well right? Kevin Wilson if I'm not mistaken. Not that it should make both games equally good for that matter.

As I've understood, there are two versions of Descent out there. While you have regular Descent with the scenarios for the main game and with included expansions. And then Road To Legend where you're playing on a map instead and have encounter on different locations on the overview map. I would guess same rules regarding combat etc. Have you played RTL Petru5? I'm thinking of starting slow, just learning the basic first, and go on to the expansions chronologically.

I have got to get myself some Doom.. I've just heard some bad stuff about it, but that it is much better with the expansion.. I like hard games though. :)

Wedge

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:58:46 PM »
Was it Victory Games?  I've played so many I get confused.

Ambush is designed as a solo game.  You run a full squad (8 men) through scenarios.  When my friend and I played together we designed it so each player had a 4-man team.  Usually one was a fire team while the other was an assualt team.  I preferred assault since it involved getting up close and personal with the bayonets!

The enemy (Germans in this instance) were controlled by the players for dice rolling etc.  Reactions for the enemy were revealed on cards that slid in a sort of "view finder" manilla folder sized contraption.  Very clever, and the game was intense.  When the tiger tanks come rolling out and all you have is a bazooka with two rounds left... it's scarey as heck!

The men gain experience and advance in skills if they survive... highly recommend it if you've never played it.

I bought shellshock and it wasn't inferior... it sucked.  No where close to the same flavor.  They also came up with a off-shoot of the game called Leathernecks which was still WW2 but in the Pacific Theater.  The Japanese were cagey opponents that struck fear in the hearts of your soldiers with Bonzai charges--snipers in the trees and tiger traps all over the place.  Just as much fun as Ambush.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »
I just bought Descent and RTL - Planning on having a bit of fun with a bud since players for game nights have been a little flakey at times.

I remember a solo game call Chainsaw Warrior which was fun the first few times you played.

I sold my Space Hulk (and supplements) - I'd played it time and time again, convinced I SHOULD love this game, but invariably the Genestealer player got bored even with the psycher and hybrid rules - and even with the campaign book and WD missions it felt reptitive for my guys.  I know MANY people disagree.

I've always loved co-op games - we played stuff like Twlight Imperium, Junta, Civilization and Republic of Rome.  While these aren't co-op per se, making aliances is a necessity to winning.  It's just tricky to know how long to keep those allies, and predicting which ones will ultimately double cross you.

I've never played Betrayal At House on The Hill - It's so dang expensive on ebay - but I've heard and read everything from soaring raves to raging rants.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 05:15:37 AM »
I sold my Space Hulk (and supplements) - I'd played it time and time again, convinced I SHOULD love this game, but invariably the Genestealer player got bored even with the psycher and hybrid rules - and even with the campaign book and WD missions it felt reptitive for my guys.  I know MANY people disagree.

I've always loved co-op games - we played stuff like Twlight Imperium, Junta, Civilization and Republic of Rome.  While these aren't co-op per se, making aliances is a necessity to winning.  It's just tricky to know how long to keep those allies, and predicting which ones will ultimately double cross you.

I would be one of those that disagrees on Space Hulk...
... but then I ran it at Convention on a 4 by 8 board with up to ten players.... with assault temies, normal marines and Imperial Guard Boarding Teams roaming the halls after Hybrid Stealers sporting plasma guns, Screamer Killers in large cargo holds and a Stealer Magus (he's a bad mother-shutyomouth) contesting the hulk.  It was based on a points systems, each model you smoke being a certain point value- bugs and hybrids were 1 point, Chaos Marines were 2, the Magus was 6...

Fellow players troops were worth points too, which made some fast double crosses as well as some wicked alliances.  I think Dragon62 played in one of those games.

If there is a request for this, I *can* bring it to Talamania; I have something like 60 termies.... :) Or I can gimmick something for Warzone on the dungeon board.

As for the co-op games, stuff like Junta, Red Square and such are lots of fun.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:39:59 PM »
Well when you play it like that, I think most any game will be fun!!!   :-\ :o ;D

I'd love to just see that board.

D

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 01:11:40 PM »
The guy that made Descent is the same that did Arkham (together with the original GW era designer) as well right? Kevin Wilson if I'm not mistaken. Not that it should make both games equally good for that matter.

Yes, Kevin Wilson was involved in AH, but was the sole creator for Descent.  Two totally different games, though.

As I've understood, there are two versions of Descent out there. While you have regular Descent with the scenarios for the main game and with included expansions. And then Road To Legend where you're playing on a map instead and have encounter on different locations on the overview map. I would guess same rules regarding combat etc. Have you played RTL Petru5? I'm thinking of starting slow, just learning the basic first, and go on to the expansions chronologically.

The base game of Descent and all the expansions except RtL are campaigns unto themselves. So, for instance, Tomb of Ice has similarly themed dungeons that follow a story path to a conclusion.  Your characters, however, 'tank up' each scenario within the campaign, but start back at square 1 when they begin the next scenario in the storyline.  Also, each expansion introduces more rules, some of which are specific to that campaign.  Like AH, the rules can be daunting at the get-go, but time and experience cures that.

RtL breaks the storylines into manageable chunks (as short as an hour) to alleviate the 3-4 hour sessions needed to play one scenario.  Characters also can 'level up' using a campaign system.

My recommendation is to try the base game to see if you even like it.  Then get RtL to make the game more fun, give it flow and make it time savvy.

I have got to get myself some Doom.. I've just heard some bad stuff about it, but that it is much better with the expansion.. I like hard games though. :)

The expansion integrates some of the rules from Descent in regards to set up and Overlord card play.  The figs are swaps for the base game's (e.g., one of Creature X is = one of Creature Y), but are beautiful in their demonic way.  I like the game because of the feel of the game.  The Marines are in deep doo doo from the get go and really have to balance unit cohesion, speed and luck in order to even make it to the final room and out the final door.  It's one of those games (like Pandemic) where you know that you'll probably lose, so the fun is to see how long you can hold off failure. The occasional player victory really makes you feel like you've accomplished something big!  Again, try the base game to see if you like it, then add in the expansion.

There's a guy that runs a giant Space Hulk game at Recruits using a large 3-D board.  It's awesome!

-Private Hudson

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 10:07:01 AM »
Well when you play it like that, I think most any game will be fun!!!   :-\ :o ;D

I'd love to just see that board.

D

Dude... they always were a blast.  One game, we had Eldar Jetbikes show up  :o :o  A nice long hallway between two rooms... was silly and never did that again.  Someday I will run something like it again...

There's a guy that runs a giant Space Hulk game at Recruits using a large 3-D board.  It's awesome!

Don't suppose he uses these models?

John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »
LOL!!!

No, not that meaning of 'giant', but I now have Term-is envy!  I guess you can always say yours is bigger!!!
-Private Hudson

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 03:49:44 PM »
Bragging about the size of your sword again, I see.   ;) ;D :o