Author Topic: You got to be kidding me?  (Read 5238 times)

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
You got to be kidding me?
« on: February 01, 2009, 04:57:41 PM »
Hello

What do you think of this ? Good buy or money pit in the making?
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat200192&prodId=prod730814&rootCatGameStyle=wh

wmeredith.
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Glenn M

Re: You got to be kidding me?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 05:42:09 PM »
Garbage

Though I did just order a gaming mat from Zuzzy, they are textured rubber, that can be painted and still rolled, so we'll see how that goes.
http://www.zuzzy.com/dr-tf-001_terra_flex_gaming_mat.html

They have a couple of other designs, from how it looks you get a nice textured and interesting mat, yet it is flat enough to support figures and terrain while staying flat, however it is unpainted.

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:02:36 PM »
I've seen those before.  I happen to like modular terrain, so I think it's a great thing!  Painting it to look really cool is the hard part!  6x 2'x2' squares.  That's a lot of terrain!
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 04:06:50 AM »
If I was kidding you I'd say "What do you do with an elephant with three balls?  Walk him and pitch to the rhino."

But seriously, in GW's defense, this stuff is incredibly sturdy.  I've heard second hand stories of Red Shirts standing and jumping on it without damaging it.  I think you would get your money's worth in pure ruggedness.
Now for that kind of money I could easily build my own table (and have actually) and modular boards, but GW sometimes caters to those with more dollars than sense. 
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 07:40:59 AM »
GW sometimes caters to those with more dollars than sense. 

Sometimes?!  Whew, is it too early in the year to state "understatement of the year"?  When I looked at those earlier, I didn't look at the price.  Yowza!  My cheapskate alarm just about woke my wife upstairs!  Rugged and sturdy, yes.  Pretty and cool, you betcha.  Price inhibitive, as only GW can do!  I could see that price if it was painted, but not unpainted.  It's plastic, which is cheaper than dirt to make stuff from.  It should be about 1/2 that price. 

But wait, there's more!  You get the tote bag for free!  That's a $95 value, but only if you order now!  Operators are standing by.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson