Author Topic: Aliens  (Read 5107 times)

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
Aliens
« on: January 30, 2009, 07:40:21 AM »
For those of you that are like me and really enjoyed the movie Aliens, here's a treat.  Back in the day, Leading Edge Games made a cooperative play game based on the movie Aliens.  It was hard as Hades to 'win', let alone survive the first scenario!  Well, many years later and the game goes for a pretty penny on eBay.  I ran across a great compromise...a Flash-based version of the game that features three scenarios!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/408816 is the link.  It doesn't take too long to lose and truly captures the feel of the movie (i.e., how relentless the aliens were and how hopelessly outnumbered and underpowered the Marines were).

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:47:32 AM by Petru5 »
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: Aliens
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:42:39 AM »
I remember the LEG turned a lot of movies into games.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:44:16 AM »
The games are also available as a download and build your own.  Head over to Boardgamegeek and look up the game.

The flash version sounds cool.  will have to check it out. 
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:04:35 AM »
Yeah, I've even contributed (IMHO) better counters for the characters and creatures.  There's a guy that was willing to sell me a CD of computer-generated maps for the game with better counters for $10.  Of course, the squares aren't the measly .75" variety used in the original game.  The new squares are 1.5" and made for the HorrorClix Aliens and the HDC Troopers commonly found in HeroClix bins.  The troopers look like Colonial Marines.  I was thinking about making the game on my own using large sheets of art paper, gridding them to fit fig bases and then hand-drawing in the obstacles.  Not too hard, if you conform to the original game's artwork. 

Another way I was thinking about making the game was using plastic needlepoint/knitting squares (I'm not sure which they're for, if either) to make internal deck plating.  The squares are already gridded like you'd see with ship decking (picture Newt trying to escape the Queen as the beasty is ripping sections of grid off the Solano's cargo bay floor), so a little gray metallic paint and it's done!  It also makes the pieces modular, as the squares are usually 12"x12".  If I go that route, then I'd almost be obliged to create 3-D obstacles, which may be more work than I'm willing to put into this task.
-Private Hudson

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:20:59 AM »
Another good source of mesh is screening for windows (the real kind, not the Microsoft kind).  If you use the knitting mesh, the plastic is soft so make sure you seal it and you might want to experiment and see if the special paint fabricated for plastics might work better on it than normal primer.  Either way-good luck and let us know how it turns out.  I've always wanted to do a space hulk/citadel/underground/tunnel set but it is pretty low on my list of priorities.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 10:02:40 AM »
True, I've thought about using rolls of window screens, but I think the knitting squares are cheaper.  I found an entire box of them at a garage sale once for 5 cents a sheet!  The lady looked at me funnily when I bought them.  I guess I don't look like the knitting type.   ;D
-Private Hudson