Author Topic: Painting Your Minis Quickly  (Read 29645 times)

Offline arctica

• Journeyman
Painting Your Minis Quickly
« on: January 28, 2009, 06:00:50 AM »
Well it was reading Top's reply that he had mostly bare metal which made me think this may help others out there who want a painted army but have little time or patience to do so. This isn't directed at anyone in particular and I hope this isn't offensive as it's not meant to be, but more some quick techniques which people may feel they would benefit from for their gaming experience. Also with army painting i have found you need one of two things either so much concentration that you could literally sit there and watch paint dry (i've done it and it does wear you down) :P or the other which most normal people do is to have a quick and simple paint scheme for their minis.

A couple things i'd like to turn your attention to for quick turn over in minis:
1.) Washes - gamesworkshop's new release of washes are great to add that extra "lazy man's (or woman ;))" shading to base coats. All you do it paint the base colour and then apply the wash and et voila instant shaded paintjob. You can take that a step further and clean up the paint job and then highlight too or you can always drybrush highlights onto the base colour and apply the wash itself.

http://oz.games-workshop.com/hobby/painting/painting_basics/techniques/3_washes.htm

2.) Dipping - An interesting technique done by using wood varnish, very similar to the washes except requires a quick hand to stop pooling and alot less control but gives the whole model a brown shade in the crevices etc.

http://www.dysartes.com/model/painting/Dipping1.php
http://www.thearmypainter.com/product_presentation.php?page=1&ProductgroupId=1

3.) Airbrush - I admit a decent one will set you back a fair bit of money etc but even a cheap one an achieve the results most seek once you're used to it, also some people have even used it to highlight their models by applying highlights gently over the upper areas. Here is the example i was talking about, doesn't necessarily need an airbrush i just think its quicker but you can get away with spray cans too actually, just be careful with spray control.

http://www.helldorado.fr/figurines/helle-moller-step-by-step-painting-guide-by-thomas.php

Some helpful links:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/627
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/58
http://www.figurines-tv.com/videos%20completes/degrade-acry-frais-zeni-bonamant-ent.wmv (a streamed video, altho in French its a good example of how to quickly :D)

I hope these all help everyone here whether they are of a good quality painter to a beginner or just plain lazy ;). But i assure you, you will be so proud of your first unit and army when you have painted them all. When i completed my goblin army of about 120 models it took me 4-5 months but im so happy with that army i just sit there and stare at it. Anyway alot of these quick techniques don't require alot of skill or materials just a bit of practice and you'll be churning out the models quickly and efficiently.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Painting Your Minis Quickly
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:20:14 AM »
Newbie arctica gets this topic stickified.  How 'bout we keep this thread to speed/army painting.  I use the wood varnish dip treatment and have had good results.  I like how you've provided links to everything as well. 

Most of the old grognards around here paint, some quickly, some slowly, some incredibly, some just tabletop, but you can never have too many good tutorials out there for any level of painter.

Good show old man.   :)
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 10:18:26 AM »
Yep, washes are my bane.  I can drybrush til the cows come home, but I can't ever seem to wash figs without too much 'overflow' onto higher areas.  I've always wanted to try dipping my minis, but I've also heard of mixing floor wax with inks to give them consistent and mini-friendly coverage. 

Can anyone please share that wax:ink ratio?  Also, what brands of wax?  Thanks!
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »
I use MinWax varnish for my dip.  It's good on just about everything.  I think it's either a Walnut or Cherry finish.  You really have to let it dry a while, then hit it with Dullcote, but sometimes the results are worth it.  Some people hate it, and even break my stones about the whole spiel. 

I like it because it really seals everything, gives you some brown in the recesses, and then, when you take the shine down, they look good to me.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:36:23 AM »
The dipping tutorial that arctica has in his post is one of the best I've seen.  Just find the equivalent to the polyurethane wood varnish used in that tutorial, and look at the results.  Very good for tabletop figs.  Hell, I use it on my PC figs for gaming too.  Anything that's going to get pushed around on a table, knocked prone, etc., I say dip it.  Dip it good.

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:11:31 PM »
Oh, man.  I'm gonna go for it, move ahead and dip it into shape!
-Private Hudson

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »
Thanks for not smiting me for that.  I couldn't resist. 

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 01:18:43 PM »
Oh contrare, mon frere!  I applauded your inclusion of lyrics from everyone's planter-coifed 80's band!
-Private Hudson

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 05:27:08 PM »
It was a great idea to sticky this...kudos to the OP for posting it.  I use Minwax as well, but I use the acrylic/water based kind (American Walnut).  I have had great success with a 50% Minwax, 25% water, 25% Future floor polish(breaks the water tension for getting the mix into the small cracks of the mini) mix.  It has given a nice protective coat that can be painted over or easily stripped if necessary.  After which I like a nice coat of matte finish.   I have yet to have one chip during game play. For around $20 bucks you can have a small bucket load.
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 03:13:20 AM »
Yeah! Thanks for the tips'N'links dude.  :)

Now I'm ready to go dippety dip. :D

That french guy was insane btw. Two hours work?? Need to try the airbrush thing myself.

Here's a review of the GW airbrush for those interested. http://www.40kforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54817

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 07:36:24 AM »
Hmmm, so you guys don't even use true inks, just the floor wax that's colored?  What if I have (pick your color) inks that I want to mix so they get in those cracks?
-Private Hudson

Offline arctica

• Journeyman
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:48:13 AM »
Actually i do use inks and not floor wax lol. I just dilute it and in very small quantities to make it go into the crevices but actually the new GW washes do a great job with that and people use it as a whole process for shading their minis now, kinda like a cheat option for painting.

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 09:36:30 AM »
I have also heard the Tudor Satin works well as a dipping agent.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 11:19:20 AM »
We've always had talented painters on our forums, but with even more joining, and online tutorials popping up, I thought I'd sticky some of these threads.  Keep'em coming.  I'm having a blast.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 03:19:00 AM »
Thanks for not smiting me for that.  I couldn't resist. 
Noone has to apologize for making a Devo reference on my watch. :)