Author Topic: A Question Of Editions  (Read 10705 times)

Offline Kargush

A Question Of Editions
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:25:50 AM »
Hi there, new blood reporting. ;)

I was wondering if the game had more than one edition? I've managed to get my grubby mitts on a Swedish copy of the main rules as well as Sons of Kronos, and an English copy of the book with the swamp goblins in(bless me, I forget the title). So if there are more editions, I may well have bought the proverbial cat in the bag. ;)

Other than that I was wondering if anyone had any good spots for buying miniatures, and what might make good proxies. Having bee weened on GW, I was pondering if perhaps some converted Maurauders might make passable SOK?

Anyways, thanks for reading, and happy gaming to you all. :)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: A Question Of Editions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 06:51:31 AM »
Welcome aboard.  We play the Excelsior edition of Chronopia.  That's the rules set and points we go by, but don't let that stop you from playing an earlier edition if you've got it.  You can find the edition we play at Coki's site.   www.chronopiaworld.com  or the other is www.kerlin.de/chronopia.

If I've got them wrong, someone correct me!!

We find proxies for so much, I'm sure we could shape up an army for playtesting out of what you've got.  After that, Prince August in Europe still has a lot of pewter and there is a lot in Poland, Germany, and sometimes the States.  Ebay is an obvious place to check out, but Bartertown sometimes has stuff too.

Before going anywhere looking for models, post in our trading section for what you're after, as you'll find good deals and good trades.

Converted Marauders for SOK sound pretty cool by the way.

Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:44:15 PM »
1st Edition

2nd & current Edition

You know I get misty-eyed when I look through the 1st edition...my first wargame....ahh the memories.  Anyway I just needed an excuse to pull the old tome out for another thumb through. Hope this helps.

You know you gotta love that 1st edition cover. :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:46:30 PM by Von Koss »
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline arctica

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 05:00:15 PM »
Oh i didn't know there was a second edition chronopia, whats new in it? does it require a restructuring of the armies like warzone did? where you need lots of basic troops to get the better stuff?

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 05:50:12 PM »
In my opinion you don't need more minis to play although I do think they increased the point values a little.  The dark axe warriors went from 32pts to 40pts if that is any indication.  The 2nd Edition is pretty polished and has everything you need without the addition of any supplements, but I must defer to more experienced forum members to give you a better overview between the editions.  So you vets out there give our friend (and me) a hand.

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:02:35 PM »
The use of unit cards is the biggest difference in deployment.  In 2nd edition, you place unit cards face down in your deployment zone, as does your opponent.  Each unit card represents a unit, an individual, or a false lead.  All the relevant info for the models can be written on the back of the card, making things easier to consult.   Between the false leads, and by positioning your forces to maximize their capabilities and the terrain on the board, tactics become elevated.  The models come on the board in the second turn when they activate, and it's a wild system.  I don't think any other game has that.

The Dark Axes were FAQ'ed down to 32 points, but in general, all the units were reconfigured and balanced.  I'm going by my experience playing every army in 2nd edition, and they all are effective when played to their strengths and the dice go your way.  I haven't played first edition, and there are some out there who prefer it, but the general consensus has been that 2nd edition smoothed out the balance so every army was viable.

Some still play the first edition, and I agree, the cover art was unbelievable!!

Either way, we all love the setting and the armies that make up Chronopia.

Offline arctica

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 02:14:48 AM »
I think thats the nail on the head with chronopia Joshua. The story behind the whole chronopia setting is just so immense and detailed, when i first read the whole start of it all i was just in love with the game there and then, whether the game played well or bad was another storry (luckily it was a great game ;)) but i will have to try and pick up a copy of the 2nd ed and see what its like this whole card thing is intriguing.

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 03:24:26 AM »
Oh i didn't know there was a second edition chronopia, whats new in it?

you should check out:

http://www.mutantpedia.com/eng/index.htm

and

http://www.kerlin.de/chronopia/index_downloads.php
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 10:18:16 AM »
Thanks Nick, for the links. 

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 11:32:15 AM »
I never got into the Excelsior edition - I played the Target version and loved it, never had any ovewhelming issues with balance or playability... but I did adopt the card deployment system that EE came up with, I thought that was a great idea.
Wan Chew Tree Faw!

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 10:25:18 AM »
 I have not played any games yet but have all of the books.The first edition and the supplemtents are worth getting for the colour pictures if nothing else.The second edition does not have much colour in it but has some new units and unit sizes have changed for some factions.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 11:02:23 AM »
The Fallen Lands sourcebook is worth it for the fiction alone.  The story in there is one of the best I've read in fantasy, hands down, and pulls you into the setting like no other game.

I still take it off the shelf and read it now and again.

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »
The second editions if great for better Crunch, though you'll have to over look many of the printing problems (Sometimes sentences got cut off and the like)

However the first edition books are superior for art and fluff.  I'd get em all if you can.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 12:40:34 AM »
It was this topic that made me go ahead and put a few coins down on the Fallen Lands source book.  Reading these posts reminded me that I had forgotten about picking up this one and now I can't wait to dive into some Chronopia fluff. <rubs hands together> Good times...good times. :)

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 06:51:39 AM »
I won't spoil the story for you, so tell me when you've finished it.  You will be more brainwashed into Chronopia after reading it.
Oops.  I mean, more intrigued by the setting.