Author Topic: Von Koss's project log  (Read 87174 times)

Offline Von Koss

Re: Von Koss's project log
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »
Will do my friends, but unfortunately I have to go to work now.  I'll put up a group photo tomorrow for you guys.  Thanks to all forum members who have contributed their army pics before as they were my inspiration to start my own painting log and it was only right to give back to them and post this one.  Thanks guys.
Total models painted for the year 2011: 14

<The Goal: exceed 534 painted models in one year>
*End Date: Dec. 25th 2011*
2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2009, 01:47:45 PM »
Army Shot so far...

Work has been a real bummer the past few days and I apologize for the delay on this pic.  I still have a lot of steam left for this army and I agonize over not being left to my devices to finish it...oh well that's life.  I look forward to bringing you guys more updates soon so stay with me, we are just getting started. ;)

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline aoi cobalt

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »
That is one good looking army.
"Bring your best dice or bring a good brick." - Thom

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2009, 09:49:13 AM »
 Good looking force so far.What is being added next then?

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2009, 11:30:09 AM »
Next up:  complete another Great warrior who is half finished & for some magical support I'm going to paint up a Priestess so I can switch out her with the second Great warrior on a whim if desired.  In the near future I'm thinking of adding a war band of six Stygian axemen.  I'm hoping to sling a little paint today if the weather holds.

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2009, 05:34:03 PM »
I love group photos; the images always come through so well! 
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2009, 11:09:04 AM »
Very cool scenery and figs.  Great work!

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »
Well, time for another update.  Here are the 2nd Great Warrior & Priestess.  I had good time painting these models as they are pretty detailed(I think) for serpent type models.  I never tire of seeing the Stygian models and kudos to the sculptor for their attention to detail.  I think they'll do for table top standard and I look forward to putting them in action.

...her milkshake brings all the boys to the yard... :o  :D  ...sorry...couldn't resist

A Dark Tusk hero
I felt I needed to paint him up because he's been eyeballing me since I finished the Dark Axes.  I keep having visions of him going "Yoda" on the Stygian Great Warriors and well, after that how could I leave him without paint.

Next up:  I'm going to put the brush to some Stygian axemen while pondering on some type of themed terrain for the little horde to fight around.  So for a recount of the painted force:

1   Priestess
2   Great Warriors
6   Spearmen
6   Starved
11 Drugged
See you guys soon!

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2009, 08:09:01 PM »
Great color choices.  What brand of paint?

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2009, 08:47:25 PM »
The paints that I use the most are Citiadel, but the gold is Testors oil based.  I like Testor's gold it just kinda grew on me and I can't bear to use another.  I guess it's just my own personal taste.  I use Anita's all purpose acrylic paint for the bases and I'm not above using the Apple Barrel brand either as they are super cheap.  I like to use these cheap paints thinned down for airbrushing, terrain making and anything other thing that calls for mass production.  I have given thought to other brands and look forward to trying something new, but as times are getting kinda lean on the pocket book these will just have to do for now.

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2009, 10:19:23 AM »
Great job on the figs and terrain!
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2009, 10:00:49 PM »
Hello again, I've been busy work, life, blah blah and have little to show for all this wasted time but I would like to share a wandering thought with you all in regards to how a gamer/painter/collector motivates him or herself to pull out the brushes and paints and start chipping away at that ever increasing mound of pewter/plastic.  I think it all started a long time ago but until this week it never occurred to me that this "acceptance" -(that's what I'm calling it) could be used in a more efficient way.  Here we go....

I started my gaming life playing chess and while it will always hold a special place in my heart it just can't compete with the satisfaction I get when I complete painting a unit of miniatures for any system/game.  I once played a game of chess against a very tactical and pleasant gentleman who swindled a piece from me through some very sound play.  This guy was so nice and had such a strong position that I should have just tipped my king and asked for another chance of him giving me a beat down.  This was the kinda guy you enjoyed playing with...no smack talk, no "hey you should have done this move because that move is not a good move", just plain pleasant chatting at appropriate moments.  I was siting there looking at my position debating whether to throw in the towel and then it hit me...

A little spark or flame went off inside me that grew until it could not be contained,  this is the kinda feeling you get when there is no hope left to win and all that's left is to see just how much pain it will cost your opponent to achieve victory.  I made some sacrifices that anyone with just a hint of chess tactical knowledge would be creeped out.  Some would say that it was spite that pushed me to play this way but this guy was so nice with no hint of arrogance about him and just played a very good game.  I marched on both King and Queen side while closing the center.  I made moves to make a show of trapping his queen only to divert from that to get at his king.  No great big deal, chess players of all backgrounds do this from time to time and nothing I did was "stellar".  I went on to force him to either lose his queen and be surrounded on his back rank or him force a stalemate on me which is what he did.  Getting to the point of this ramble is that I threw caution to wind and just "accepted" that I was having a good time even when I was behind and losing the positional edge.  This is what helps me stay focused even though my pile of soldiers is getting bigger all the time.

So, here is how I get mentally "psyched up" to start bringing down that pile of pewter:  ** I get prepped to do a lot of just one thing at a time **- such as cleaning all the flash/mold lines from a complete unit or gluing the bases to a complete unit.  The thing is that Life will find a way to interfere with your hobby time and there is nothing you can do about but "accept" that it is going to happen but until it does you will become master of this one hobby chore before Time/Life stalemates you and you have to go back to the real world.  Be like a mad berserker and enjoy the thrill of being overwhelmed because in your heart you know you love this hobby and to do what one loves is what it's all about.  Its ok that all you did today was "paint the skin on a basic unit of troops" or tested out a couple paint schemes for that next unit.  You will find that after a while you will become quicker and the things that you were "unfamiliar with/scared of" will be a thing of the past as you burn through unit after unit.

Over the next few posts I'm going to share with you guys some of the things I do to get minis done and ready for battle.  These are just a few things to maybe help with that "treasure chest- over flowing with figs" that we all have.  Some of these points will be very basic to some, but maybe...just maybe...there might be a new guy/girl who has not seen a different way to get their minis ready.  If anyone sees anything that should be expounded upon feel free to chime in cause we're all in this together.   ;D

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline Von Koss

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2009, 06:32:05 AM »
Ok, let's get this ball rolling!

So, you've got the flash and mold lines cleaned from your next unit-o-doom and you have slapped some glue on them and stuck them into their bases.  Staring at them in wonder you notice that there is still a gap between the model's feet/cloak/claws/or what ever method of motion it uses and the base itself.  You know if you put flock/static grass on the base it's gonna look like a small pot hole next to it's feet and that...no matter how you slice it...is not gonna do...no sir. 

Most veterans are aware that this is an easy thing to remedy but I got to tell you, I see a lot of figures(my older figs included from "yester-year")based but with holes next to the feet on the bases.  This thing may not be important for you and it doesn't take away from "gettin your game on" (yes-I'm the dork that loves this little saying and if your not careful I'll say it again when your not ready :-*) ;)  ) but you know deep down you think to yourself "Man, I wish I would have fixed that at the time...oh well.".  Well sir/ma'am, please allow me to show you how I go about this menial chore in order to prep (there's that word again) the fig for basing.

First, I want to talk about the putty type stuff I use to fill these gaps.  Some may use "green stuff" or some type of epoxy/cement and these will do the job, but there is a cheaper solution and I want you to save that "jingle in your pocket" for more figs for your games.  I use a generic type of wall filler/putty type product you could get from those department type stores that sell home/do-it-yourself type products.  I think I got my tub from the dollar store for a buck and I'm still using it after 4 years.  I do the following for all my figs these days so I don't have any regrets later.  Here we go...

I take my hobby knife and cut out a little putty (consistency is just a little thicker than cake icing) and put the putty in the bottom of the base with the knife.

I make sure the putty is pushed up enough from the bottom with my thumb so that it comes out the top of the base just like those old "play doh" moments when you were little (and if you never got to play with "play doh" as a child---the world does owe you an apology).

next I take my hobby knife and scrape the putty off the top of the base away from the figures feet/method of motion towards the edge of the base.  You can also use the putty to level the gap between the figures feet.

flipping the model over to clean out excess putty with the hobby knife from the bottom of the base.  It's also worth noting that having a paper towel or old wash cloth around helps keep your hands clean as you work with this stuff.  It's not real messy, but I like staying tidy as I work...just a personal thing.

Now my unit of Dark Tusks are ready for a little basing sand.   I have been asked by my friends if the putty gets old/dry won't it crack and fall out?  I have not had one model lose it's putty filling yet because I think when I glue the sand on in the next basing phase it kinda holds it all together.

Well, the next step is deciding on what kind of basing substance you are going to use.  I have grown to love using sand as the basic covering followed up with static grass after the sand has been painted, but that is for another discussion later.  I know this is nothing new to the modeling world but I thought I would throw this in just in case someone new to the hobby with this problem stumbled into our forum. 

**The thing is that I try to do this for a very large group of figs as I already have the stuff/equipment out and I've gotten down the timing of doing the same chore again and again every figure. **
 I also listen to music/tv shows or movies just so I've got something going on in the back ground.  Now as I only have a few pieces of hobby equipment out, I can put them and the figs away rather quickly and get back to the boring things in life.  Hope this helps get you started on your basing or anything hobby related and be sure to stay with me guys... as there is more to follow.

2010- 294 (fail)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2009, 07:24:22 AM »
ALL THIS TIME I've been using greenstuff I could have been using putty?!?!?!?!?!  You've already gained a convert here, and the unpainted pewter mountain will see some progress.

I'd like to see your next steps, especially what consistency of sand you glue down, how it looks after priming, (and what you prime with), and how this basing works.

I've always been of the mind that you finish painting the model, then do the base.  I like the idea of working on them simultaneously.

More, please.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2009, 07:37:06 AM »
P.S.  the milkshake reference wasn't lost on me.  Have some karma.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA