Author Topic: Just a question for personal use  (Read 5810 times)

Offline Melanieshaman

Just a question for personal use
« on: January 21, 2009, 12:43:09 PM »
Ok, I have a game that i am working on (not my minis game i have mentioned in the past-although i do intend on posting that here for you guys to rip apart)... but a card game.  The basic premise is a martial arts/melee combat game with some supernatural (chi-based) powers akin to like the Dragon Ball or UFS (actually closer to the latter).  Now i am using a color/type system... ie Rde=Aggression, Black=Pain, Brown=Grappling/wrestling, Blue=Defensive, Green=cycling (discard-draw), Yellow=Weapon-based, Purple=Acrobatic... now these are pretty generic, but they work while in alpha-stage testing.  Oops and white=generic universal moves....

Anyway, I was curious if anyone has even done something like this, and if they have any advice...  Should the colors have opposites ala MTG, or what?  Hopefully i'm not too confusing, and someone has some thoughts or advice.

Melanie

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Just a question for personal use
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 12:46:36 PM »
I know a bunch of us on here play Poker, and some play card games like yer talkin' about.  I'm betting you'll get some feedback on this from them.

As for me, I'll offer moral support and encouragement, as learning Warzone, Spinespur, and Savage Worlds is making me even more confused than usual.  Hard to believe, innit?
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 12:47:18 PM »
LOL thanks Josh I appreciate it.

M

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 03:39:44 PM »
Though not a game designer. I play one on TV...well, not really!   

There are several ways to go about designing a card game.  First off, do you want it to be collectible, expandable, or a self contained single deck? 

I highly recommend you check out www.boardgamegeek.com .  It is the best site for anything gaming related.   Some games to look up, and compare for play style would be Magic: The Addiction Gathering, NetRunner, Battleline, Naval War and probably lots of others that I don't know about.  In game design, I think that knowing what you like or dislike about other games is a good starting point, then try and come up with a new twist to make it fresh and interesting.   

Hopefully that helps a little bit.  I don't play many true card games, so cannot give you too much direct advice. 

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
There was a line of card games by Slugfest Games that focused on personal combat...one was En Garde and the other was Kung Fu Fighting.  They weren't color coded, but they had certain cards that could be played to trump other cards.  I know that was horribly vague, but read the rules (www.slugfestgames.com)and you'll understand.  I don't know if they'll help you or not, but at least you know.  And knowledge is half the battle.  Yo Joe!!!
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 06:16:47 PM »
Thunder Castle Games had a cool way of handling sword fighting for it's Highlander CCG. I think something similar would work for  your color system nicely without getting into any copyright issues.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890