Author Topic: This week in Geekdom 1/16  (Read 14222 times)

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
Re: This week in Geekdom 1/16
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 07:40:16 PM »
D&D movie: Hmmm....  I would think the Underdark Trilogy.  Or a live-action of the old cartoon... those characters were not that over the top.... and I think Hank's bow would be way cool CGI.  But that's me....

I'm thinking Heavy Gear.  Not that craptacular cartoon but perhaps something dealing with the Polar Alliance.

- A montage explaining some of the early history of Terra Nova and the two main factions (Confederation of Northern City States and Allied Southern Territories) before introducing the Earth Forces....

if done right, can be a series of movies.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline arctica

• Journeyman
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 01:31:51 AM »
Warzone -- and please DO NOT point out that they did one....because while they made a sci-fi movie it was not Warzone.

I didn't realise they semi-made one ;), i guess its one of those things which passed under the radar in the UK.

As for a system to be made into a movie, something like call of cthulu would be awesome for a horror movie. Another thing which i've always liked and related to each other is bladerunner and shadowrun, they've both always had the same atmosphere in my head and i think they should do more or similar things. I mean it could probably be easily made into a series.

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »
So the meta-level vibe I'm getting is this:

There needs to be both a gritty, sci-fi war-based flick with tons of action and a moody, engrossing fantasy flick with loads of character development.  I'm in for both!
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 01:08:53 AM »
I would say the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are great "game" movies. Though based on an enjoyment park ride from the 60 (?) it is just like seeing the Monkey Island games made "right" IMO.

I'd also say that Silent Hill was great for a game-to-movie flick.

The Silent Hill crew are going to make another comp game movie called Return To Castle Wolfenstein as well. Anyone here remember Wolf3d?  ;)

YES. To make a great sci-fi movie, you need the right director and then you'll get the cash. IMO Danny Boyle proved with Sunshine that he knows how to make great sci-fi as well, so I'd put my money on him for any Warzone movie. Though I think the only way to do Warzone "justice" is to make a computer game of it.

Offline arctica

• Journeyman
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 02:11:59 AM »
Wolf3d !!! that was an awesome game back in the day lol, showing your age a bit there ;)
But still very cool game and im in 2 minds about the making of a film of it. Although, thinking about it game to movie stuff is hit or miss, no real inbetween.

On your other note, i thought there was an old old release of a warzone game, i vaguely remember something about it.

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 03:00:46 AM »
Wolf3d !!! that was an awesome game back in the day lol, showing your age a bit there ;)
But still very cool game and im in 2 minds about the making of a film of it. Although, thinking about it game to movie stuff is hit or miss, no real inbetween.

Haha. Is '92 that long ago? Naaah.. ;) Though the film version will most likely be based on the 2001; Return To Castle Wolfenstein game. And there is a new game being released this year called Wolfenstein. It's supposed to use the graphic engine used in Doom 3, which is a bit too old IMO, while the next Doom game will get a spankin' new look. Just happy I'll get to shoot some nazis/zombies etc. :P

On your other note, i thought there was an old old release of a warzone game, i vaguely remember something about it.

Maybe you're thinking of Doomtroopers for SNES? That were a more classic Duke Nukem 1 & 2 kind of game. There are so many possibilities for a Warzone comp game, most importantly I'd love for all the teams to be represented... Go for it, do it Starcraft/Company of Heroes style. A shooter, like Quake 4 would also be cool though, walking around Luna City and so on. Yeah yeah, It's easy day dreaming.  ::)

Offline arctica

• Journeyman
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 03:39:16 AM »
Still in 92 i was 11 so to me its quite a while ago ;) doesn't make it any less of an awesome game. I did enjoy the return to castle wolfenstein.

It may have been doomtroopers, i have vague recollections of something in that sort of genre :D lol but still the ideas are cool, its just getting them heard and then backed by a company to develop it. Well im holding my breath for starcraft 2, diablo 3 and dawn of war 2 but i have a feeling blizzard may disappoint or just blatently rip us off or possibly both.

I was thinking about how good the chronopia story was that if they did a film of that it would be epic, so much bloodshed and story. I think it would be better then LoTR personally.

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 07:27:23 AM »
I have Doomtroopers for the SNES.  Not a great game, but a very difficult side-scroller (a la Contra).  At least you get to play as either Max Steiner or Mitch Hunter.

The Sci-Fi Channel made an absolutely atrocious movie called S.S. Doomtrooper that could be construed as an homage to Wolfenstein.  Also, someone recommended Horrors of War.  I haven't seen it, but here's the description:

'Feeling the pressure from Allied advance, Hitler unleashes his secret weapons giving rise to a type of warfare the world has never seen. Throughout the European theater of WWII, Lieutenant John Schmidt comes face to face with these "weapons." The Office of Strategic Services (O.S.S., precursor to the C.I.A.) initiates missions behind enemy lines to find the source of the weapons terrorizing U.S. soldiers fighting the Third Reich. Schmidt is joined by Captain Joe Russo and his group of war-hardened GIs who have experienced for themselves the all-too-real horrors of war in battle. Together, they must find and destroy Hitler's horde of nightmare weapons before his horrific vision can be fully realized.'

Sounds very Wolfenstein-ish, if you ask me!

-Private Hudson

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 12:16:17 PM »
A Chronopia movie??  Hell yeah!!  I think the story smokes Tolkien anyway.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 01:15:28 PM »
I was thinking about how good the chronopia story was that if they did a film of that it would be epic, so much bloodshed and story. I think it would be better then LoTR personally.

A movie/game whatever would need a person that loves the Chronopia story/world. That is a fan etc. For LOTR it had a director who didn't just make a movie for fun, but dedicated years to it. They had the green to make the movie, but it set a new standard for movies, which every fantasy movie in it's wake seem to be influenced by. Why can't anyone here write a script for a Chronopia movie then? If you know the story, go for it. And I think most people here would gladly read through the first draft, giving feedback etc. :) Most times if you wanna do it right, you gotta do it yourself.

The Sci-Fi Channel made an absolutely atrocious movie called S.S. Doomtrooper that could be construed as an homage to Wolfenstein.  Also, someone recommended Horrors of War.  I haven't seen it, but here's the description:

'Feeling the pressure from Allied advance, Hitler unleashes his secret weapons giving rise to a type of warfare the world has never seen. Throughout the European theater of WWII, Lieutenant John Schmidt comes face to face with these "weapons." The Office of Strategic Services (O.S.S., precursor to the C.I.A.) initiates missions behind enemy lines to find the source of the weapons terrorizing U.S. soldiers fighting the Third Reich. Schmidt is joined by Captain Joe Russo and his group of war-hardened GIs who have experienced for themselves the all-too-real horrors of war in battle. Together, they must find and destroy Hitler's horde of nightmare weapons before his horrific vision can be fully realized.'

Sounds very Wolfenstein-ish, if you ask me!

Wooot?! Gotta check both of them out. :P The best "wolfenstein-ish" movies out there currently would be Hellboy 1&2 IMO (mostly the first).

Well im holding my breath for starcraft 2, diablo 3 and dawn of war 2 but i have a feeling blizzard may disappoint or just blatently rip us off or possibly both.

Hear ye, hear ye! I have high hopes for Starcraft 2 though, and I hope it never comes to any World Of Starcraft!... Dawn of War 2 I'm convinced will be good. Though I'm not a fan of the world/setting. With Warzone it would be much more like Company of Heroes with a more "realistic" feel to it... As much as you can make Ezoghouls charging at you realistic that is...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:16:59 PM by Nighthawk »

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 05:45:35 AM »
well, i dug around a bit but could only find the german version of ss doomtrooper..

as i prefer non-dubbed versions, could anyone please point me to an english source?
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 07:00:00 AM »
I'm not at home to look, but if you use Torrents, try www.isohunt.com.  I've had very good luck on that site finding stuff I consider more obscure.
-Private Hudson

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 01:09:16 PM »
Sorry, man.  Honestly though, consider yourself saved of 83 minutes of horrible movie watching.  It was possibly the worst Sci-Fi Channel movie they made and that's saying something!  Gargoyles is close to the level of utter crappiness SS Doomtrooper, but not *quite* as bad.
-Private Hudson