Author Topic: This week in Geekdom 1/16  (Read 14060 times)

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
This week in Geekdom 1/16
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »
It's Friday and the boards are slow.  We've talked about New Year resolutions and there are a few new mini threads, but what I want to really know is this: 

Have you ever thought that a game would make a great movie?  We've seen plenty of the opposite...a movie is forced into some video or board game, but rarely does the opposite happen.  A few notable exceptions (just off the top of my head) are Final Fantasy (decent movie), Doom (not a great movie) and Mutant Chronicles (umm, that one is debatable on many levels as to its quality and ho much WZ is actually 'in there').

What games to movies do you recall and what would you like to see?  Personally, Gears of War (slated for 2010) and Halo (2012) are such examples for video games.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Melanieshaman

Re: This week in Geekdom 1/16
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 12:20:32 PM »
World of warcraft (supposedly they are "working on it")
Warhammer
Warhammer 40k

those are the three off the top of my head.. i'm sure i'll think of more

Mel

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:06:57 PM »
 Gears of War would be very cool.Reaper has two miniatures in the Chronoscape line that are very similar to the Characters from Gears of War.The comic's are good too.

As for others Inferno Battles in the Abyss would make a cool movie.Demons and minions fighting in the different circles of Hell.

Chronopia would be nice to see too.Lots of potential with CGI beastie's.

BattleTech,Leviathan,Warmachine/Hordes,Kryomek and Celtos.

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:26:25 PM »
I would like to see a live-action MechWarrior movie.  Enough of the Anime stuff...

I know the Chrono stuff you're talking about.  They have quite a few figs that I'm interested in getting for my pulp game.
-Private Hudson

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 01:59:12 PM »
Warzone -- and please DO NOT point out that they did one....because while they made a sci-fi movie it was not Warzone.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 03:21:04 PM »
Hmmm, that is hard.  How about Seige of the Citadel, since that is clearly a stand alone game and not attached to anything :D
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 04:44:42 PM »
I would like to see a movie based on D&D that was NOT the Dungeons and Dragons movie from 1999...

Space Hulk - and get Van Disel to star as the leader of the Marine squad versus the Termies.

...and I agree with TK...we need a GOOD Warzone flick.   If we could just get the writers to come here and at least attempt to get a feel for the real fluff.   Then get Ridley Scott to direct it. 
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 05:36:03 PM »
Necromunda has tons of potential.
How about Kult?
Fury of the Clansmen?  (yeah, I AM biased)
2300 AD was very intriguing as well.
Call of Cthulhu goes without saying....or calling as the case may be. I just wish some were done where they didn't feel this overwhelming desire to be campy.
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 06:18:20 PM »
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - a real gritty/horror based fantasy tale.

Offline Krate

• Journeyman
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 07:53:37 PM »
Torg- Heroes saving the planet from invaders from other realities. Think of all the CGI effects.
Dark Future- Highway warriors battling on the roads of post-apacolyptic America. I love Road Warrior type movies plus the big nasty corps that control the last of the mega-cities will add to the dark/viciousness of the setting.

Wedge

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 07:35:57 AM »
I agree with a GOOD D&D movie, based on Faerun and the adventures of Drizzt Do'Urden.  Wouldn't that be cool if they were epic style movies like Lord of the Rings?  Which books?  Um... that would be tough to say.  I've read them all.  Aynthing with Artemis Entreri in it... he's my favorite character.   ;)

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 07:56:14 AM »
If they were to do a very high end D&D movie, my preference would be for one set in Ravenloft....
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline Petru5

• Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 08:57:20 AM »
Definitely Underdark or Ravenloft.  However, they would both be niche movies, unless the vampires are like Twilight's, then you'd have a huge tween and teen following.  :-X

40K would be cool, but if that happened, then a 'real' WZ movie would never see the light of day.  Actually, 40K won't see the light of day because of Gears of War, unless GoW does so well the studios want to cash in on related themed worlds.

I'd like to see a Crimson Skies movie.  Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow caught some of the pulp flavor, but wasn't quite what it should have been.
-Private Hudson

Offline Melanieshaman

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 12:36:06 PM »
I agree with a GOOD D&D movie, based on Faerun and the adventures of Drizzt Do'Urden.  Wouldn't that be cool if they were epic style movies like Lord of the Rings?  Which books?  Um... that would be tough to say.  I've read them all.  Aynthing with Artemis Entreri in it... he's my favorite character.   ;)

Yes yes yes!   I know the books have been around, not sure if the vervor is still as high as it used to be, BUT i would still love this!

Mel

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 07:02:50 PM »

Yes yes yes!   I know the books have been around, not sure if the vervor is still as high as it used to be, BUT i would still love this!

Mel
A second and third for Drizzt and Artemis.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.