Author Topic: enviroment and animals  (Read 6923 times)

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
enviroment and animals
« on: January 02, 2009, 11:30:54 AM »
If i buy a Capitol K9 unit, is it possible to buy them an enviro suit? Or, do i just buy one for the handler, and that takes care of the squad? Same for the dino-riders, etc. Do i need to buy one for the mounts, in addition to the riders?

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Re: enviroment and animals
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 12:06:58 PM »
It would seem to me that the only model(s) that would need to pay for environmental protection would be the handlers and/or riders.  As the animals cannot act without their charges, the environmental roll is made by the riders/handlers.

I do not see that it needs to be any other way, but remain open to discussion.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 12:20:33 PM »
The mounts are different then the Dogs. Mounts are concidered to have what the rider has, sinse saves are based on the rider. Dogs on the other hand are considered Troopers and can have load-outs, and must be purchased for all not just the handler. ;)
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:36:14 PM »

"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 01:20:28 PM »
While I neither agree nor disagree with Phil's assessment, I am going to play "Devil's Advocate" for purposes of this discussion.  Anything further that I have to say in this topic will be from that point of view, and is in no means meant to say that I am right or wrong.  I am not acting as the authority, here; I am, merely, presenting my opinions.

If we are going to read the rule, by the letter, then where do we draw the line between trooper and beast?  According to the K-9's profile, they are not, in fact, troopers - they are beasts.  Venusian Raptor - same.

ISC Iron Mastiffs are listed as Grunt Beasts, and are mortal, even though they A.I.: 3.  Hinko Dragon Mounts are beasts, are from Mercury, have no Environmental Training, yet are clearly modeled with some type of protective masking on the heads (and, I believe I already mentioned, are from an extreme environment).  Hunting Dragons are listed as Support Trooper and beasts.  Does anyone think that Karnophages shouldn't be beasts?  Rivet Bulls are beasts, and, being native to Dark Eden, have Survival Training. Equine mounts are, apparently, imported from a part of Dark Eden where there is no contamination, as they have no natural Survival Training, but are modeled with protective masks.

What I am trying to say is that the arguments may be made one way or another.  In the absence of clarity and/or concensus, one should default to common sense.  Failing that, players should agree upon rules beforehand.  Otherwise, instead of having fun, we bog down into discussions of rules.

To me, I would not make beasts pay for environmental gear.  Where would we draw that line?  Must they, too, have night-vision gear if you want to give it to the handler/rider?  I don't think so.  I think that beasts being what they are are entitles to certain assumptions: they can see better at night, have not had their heartiness and natural instincts bred out of them by being "civilized" (hence their effectiveness in battle), and should not have to try to bite something or hear and or smell something through a filter mask.

They are animals, and are able to deal with environmental issues much better than mere martal humans.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 01:52:43 PM »
while those pictures clearly show that animals were equipped with gas masks during WW1, I am of the opinion that the only members of a K-9 squad that could buy some environmental protection would be the human member of the squad...

now I am in no way affiliated with the FAQ, but upon thinking logically, I would make the animals not required to take some environmental tests since the theory is that over the next couple of thousand years animals would evolve some type of natural protections due to Darwinism and their elevated exposures to toxic environments...

just my opinion...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
In my opinion I think animals and equipment are questionable, but i'd like to point out that both K-9's and Iron Mastiff's are FAQ'ed as Grunt troopers. As far as Mounted models, they are considered 1 model not 2 seperate models. A mount has what it's rider has since it is 1 model.  ;)
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 04:16:26 PM »
In my opinion I think animals and equipment are questionable, but i'd like to point out that both K-9's and Iron Mastiff's are FAQ'ed as Grunt troopers. As far as Mounted models, they are considered 1 model not 2 seperate models. A mount has what it's rider has since it is 1 model.  ;)

I agree here. 
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 05:41:21 PM »
I'm with Phil and John, and especially with Nick for those pics.  Sad, scary, and impressive at the same time.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 07:20:34 PM »
As an interesting aside...

Think of the K9 bullet proof (resistant) vests now made for working dogs.  Both Law Enforcement and Military dogs are wearing them now.  Up untill about five years ago, police dogs didn't have them.  Now there are many City departments that have them....  The Military is toying with the idea- Veez can answer if the Marines are doing so yet.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 08:04:23 PM »
I heard sled dogs have winter boots also.  ::)
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 07:12:09 AM »
Not sure but I can find out.  I know rescue dogs that snif around wreckage wear booties to protect their feet.

For the rules, I would argue that animals such as K-9 are individual models and therefore need to have the protection bought for them.  In the case of the Iron Mastiff, they are robots (or cyborgs) but maybe need protection to help keep the environment from damaging sensitive part. 
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 09:25:01 AM »
I heard sled dogs have winter boots also.  ::)

The dogs for the Iditorad race have protective paw-boots.

wmeredith
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline warzoneD

• Member Emeritus
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 07:58:42 PM »
And what other forum can one really find the Iditarod being referenced (except I suppose Yahoo Idiatrod Lovers Group).  Well done!

D