Author Topic: TALAMANIA III  (Read 45990 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
TALAMANIA III
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:56:08 PM »
Now that the dust has settled and the Cardinal has counted his blessings, it is time to discuss Talamania III.  First order of business:  when?

There are a few factors to consider, but none more important than this:  The most participants that can make a given date.  That said, I want to include as many as possible.  I believe that we (the wife and I) can, comfortably, host about 16 people.  Taking into account that Thom and jjdodger (a major force in preparing Casa McGee for the event) cannot attend until close to the end of April, and few wish to attend on or past Mother's Day (second Sunday of May, May 10, 2009), that leaves a relatively narrow window within which to hold the event.

Please, vote on one the days above, or signify that you a way too important to plauy with us in whichever line you feel best suits your level of snobbery.

I look forward to shooting you all in the figs.  ;D
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: TALAMANIA III
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
Forward thinkin' Dave. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 05:11:33 PM »
Well if I am very convincing, I'll aim for the latter weekend, however it shouldn't matter too much either way.

Anyways, anyone coming through my way so I can hitch a ride, or split the ride?

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »
I prefer the first weekend. My daughter's birthday is on the 4th so I'd prefer being home for that.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 10:46:30 PM »
I vote to support Coil who has one of the best reasons I've seen so far.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 08:20:05 AM »
Great idea Dave! Looking forward to it again.
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
I had 2nd week but the 1st week is fine for me if it helps Coil to attend. ;) ;)
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 11:04:42 AM »
I've got a lot of stuff in April-but may be able to pull it off.  I prefer May.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline luckyone

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »
Looks like I have to change my vote to the first weekend in May. The wife has a commitment on the other weekend.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:37:19 PM by luckyone »
Always look out for number one, but don't step in number two.
What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE!
The entire Capitol Army.
Don't ever say anything but a 20 before rolling the dice.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 05:25:27 PM »
As I see it, neither weekend may work, as it is causing half to either make it or not.  Let me get back to the calendar, and see if we can cook up another set of dates to choose from.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 02:48:54 PM »
Dave what about the 16th/17th of May same week as last year? It's the week after Mother's day and the week before the holiday.  ;) ;)
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 05:32:50 PM »
Or late April???  Thom put it out there.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 04:52:49 PM »
Well, folks - how 'bout it - does the weekend of May 16/17 2009 work for you?

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 04:54:04 PM »
I am seriously considering a tournament format, this time around, for the following reasons:

2-hour time limit on games (get more games in)
Scheduled time for games (not inclusive of after- or pre-tourney action)
A reason to throw the minis on the table other than to "blow the other guy's force to hell." (you know - objectives, environmental rules, strategy, tactics, well-balanced forces - that kind of stuff)
Bragging rights!

Participation in the tourney is voluntary, and the tourney will not preclude other gaming.

Here is the proposed format:
SATURDAY - UWZ
3 Rounds at 750 PC[/b]
Until 12:00 p.m. - Setup
    This will include submission and validation of army lists
    Rules Clarifications and Q&A
    First-round opponent draw
    Trash talk (who are we kidding - that's going on now, and will continue throughout - ;D)
12:00 - 2:00 p.m. - Round 1
    Throw them bones and push that pewter!
    Try to score more points than the other guy/gal
2:00 - 2:30 p.m.
    Round 1 Tally
    Round 2 Draw
2:30 - 4:30 p.m. - Round 2
4:30 - 6:00 p.m.
    Round 2 Tally
    Dinner
    Round 3 Draw
6:00 - 8:00 p.m. - Round 3
8:00 p.m.
    Round 3 Tally
    Final Tally
    Winner's Toast
    Losers' Toast
    Trophy Presentation

All battles will be fought on 4' x 4' tables with judicious amounts of terrain.  All boards will have objectives and environmental rules, as follows:

Table One - Urban board
 - Midnight Incursion
      Standard Deployment (12" from back edge, 6" from either side)
      Night Rules
      Objective:  Encroachment - You will attempt to have more points worth of models in each of four 12" bands running horizontally across the board.  Score one Tourney Point (TP) for each band you control at the end of the round.

Table Two - Arctic board
 - Snow Blind
      Level 7 Arctic Rules (just 'cause we want to see someone roll the Polar Worm!  8))
      Objective:  Breakthrough - You will attempt to have more points worth of models reach the opposite edge of the board, while preventing your opponent from doing the same.  Score 1 TP for getting at least 250 PC of your force off the opposite edge by the end of the round, 2 TP for 251-400 PC and 3TP for 401 or more.

Table Three - Jungle board
 - Tropic Thunder
      Level 3 Jungle Rules
      Objective:  Meeting Engagement - Two patrols encounter each other - get the intelligence (or lack thereof  :o) back to HQ!  The only way to get an accurate count is to physically spot (have LOS) the enemy. Once every enemy Unit (squad or individual) has been spotted, the next activated Officer or Forward Observer may attempt a LD Test; success indicates HQ has been informed.  First player to do this successfully scores 3 TP.  If no Officer or Forward Observer is present, you may not score the objective, unless you wipe out the opposing force, thereby winning it by default.

Table Four - Underground board
 - Rumbling Ruins
      Level 4 Subterranean Rules
      No models of SZ 4 or larger (you may substitute a grunt squad of equal or fewer points for each SZ 4 or larger model)
      Objective:  Recover - There will be three objects placed by each player.  Players will secretly designate one of their three objects as the item to be recovered – the others are decoys.  The Recovery item cannot be made inaccessible, but may be in the player’s Deployment Zone (DZ).  Spend one AC in base contact with item to determine whether it is the Recovery item or not.  Item may be picked up by any model in base contact with it and carried.  Item may be passed from one model to the next, however, this will end the models’ activations (as all models, technically, move simultaneously, this prevents the item from being picked up and fire brigaded, instantaneously, off-board).  Score 3 TP for getting the Recovery item off your edge of the board.

Table Five - Desert board
 - Trench Warfare
      Level 3 Desert Rules
      Defender must leave one Unit of at least 250 PC out of the battle.
      Objective:  Demolition - One player defends the trenches, the other must attack the Comm Bunker and blow it up.  Decide by whichever means you desire.  If no agreement, Opposed LD Test.  The Attacker gains 3 TP for successfully spending an AC inside the bunker with a Demo Charge, Flamethrower, similarly destructive spell (Apocalypse) or AV-rated Ranged Weapon.  Alternatively, each wall of the bunker has AR 24, WD 6; 2 walls must be destroyed to destroy the bunker.  Defender scores 3 TP if bunker is not destroyed at end of round.

Nothing here is set in stone, yet.  I will post final determinations at least 2 months in advance of the tourney.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:56:28 PM by dmcgee1 »

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 07:11:07 PM »
CAST YOUR VOTES AGAIN!