Author Topic: Prince August recasting old figures?  (Read 8746 times)

Offline Jase

Prince August recasting old figures?
« on: November 19, 2008, 02:16:11 AM »
I had a look at Prince August's site - looks like they're re-casting figures now as these seem to be sold by sealable bags not blisters. They've released Arch-primates, Romanov Blitzers and Capitol Infantry (baseball cap/football helmet variety) as an example.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
Re: Prince August recasting old figures?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 05:17:52 AM »
as far as i know, no recasts.

they just unpacked new boxes, i think
"Don´t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:19:37 AM »
Yeah.. I think NoTrollNick is right. But maybe not on them opening blisters. I think alot of the minis were hurdled together and lay in big piles. And it has taken some time to organize them. Until now. :)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:13:13 PM »
Actually, some minis were sold as big blisters, here in the US.  I have a big blister of Wheeled Templars; an entire squad.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 06:42:38 PM »
Well Excelsior repackaged a LOT of material, and added unit cards to the box sets, for an incredible pain in the ass.  All of the units were redone and sold in clamshell blisters and you can still find some of their stuff.  The European market had tons of the old Target stuff, which only came in the old packaging. 

I'm hoping they will announce if they intend to cast again.  There still is a market.   :D
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 08:13:21 PM »
It is sad, but there are still packages dating back to the mid-90's still unopened and for sale on e-bay, and lurking in some local FLGS the world over.   I ran into a few WZ and Chronopia figures in the clearance bin in Colorado Springs a couple of weekends back...

I don't think Target failed due to lack of production. 

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 10:47:20 PM »
I think they are baggng them because the glue is no longer holding on the blisters. I have the same problem with some of my older blisters. So far I have been stapling them and/or taping them back closed. If you order from them check carefully to make sure you get everything you are supposed to get.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Jase

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 02:00:14 AM »
I hear that Topkick. I've had to email them a couple of times letting them know some items were missing from orders I've requested.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 08:26:34 AM »
It's almost a given that some of the stuff you order from PA is missing. But most of the times they have included a credit note.

The big Excelsior boxes were neat. You got a whole squad in one kind of, especially designed for the UWZ rulebook.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »
Target went under because of trying to expand in other directions, namely computer games.  Poor decisions brought them down, but not the Chronopia and Warzone games. 

Thom did a pretty good job repackaging all the models from the mess he inherited.  For all of the bad press EE got, it still amazes me what we did get from so small a company.

Brigade Models bought the Celtos property outright, and they still have not redone the rulebook, and have only a few releases at all.  I think it's a Herculean task putting out a game, much less two complete games and over 5000 models and/or parts.

In any event, I think it was rumoured that Prince August might recast if there was interest, but I think they prolly won't.  With the baggage attached to doing anything with these properties, it would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

I have nothing against Fantasy Flight Games having a go with Mutant Chronicles, but I predict it will be unprofitable for them.  The movie has been met with lukewarm reviews, and I don't even know if it will make it into theaters in the States.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Nighthawk

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 05:34:20 PM »
If a high quality computer game company made a kick ass Mutant Chronicles comp game... it would much rather reach the "masses", than for instance a low budget movie.

Speaking of the movie, I succumbed and saw the leaked version. This is definitely not a movie for the average Joe out there. I can't believe how they managed to make this movie in a soundstage in east London. There are some scenes in this movie that are superb IMO. A year ago when I heard that Valerie Duval were Mishima in the movie, I automatically shook off any expectations of it being a "true MC" movie, and instead appreciating the fact that someone wanted to make something at least related to the game universe. Again though, I thought Dark Star by John Carpenter crushed Transformers... And the MC movie is much more favorable than AVP 1-2, Transformers in my eyes.. I hope the movie gets the re-edit it deserves though, because of now the flaws are too visible, and the great action scenes doesn't make them go away. I still give it a 6.5/10, mainly because there were so many new innovative things I've never seen before. Too sad it got leaked and that the producers released the rough cut to get back some of their money. Also, there are a couple of "mis-casting" IMO... but Benno Fürmann as Max Steiner is KICK ASS. I love that the Bauhaus actually speaks German. :)

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 11:33:29 PM »
My local FLGS indicates they have sold exactly one starter set and two boosters in the two months they have had the game.   Other than that, they have made no sales on the MC game. 

They also wondered why FF went with 54mm, instead of 28mm. 

Oh well, another page in an already long and tortured saga is turned. 

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 04:13:02 AM »
They are in the early stages of gathering dust at one of my FLGSs.  I do know of one guy Cyborg Trucker is his handle who loves the game but he is about the only one.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Petru5

• Keeping eastern KC an UWZ!!!
    • Conn-Man Games blog
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 08:05:10 PM »
I think our FLGS has had a lukewarm reception with the new MC game.  It doesn't seem like the display's pack levels have substantially changed.  I'm holding my reservations until after the holidays, though.  Our FLGS has a Black Friday sale of 35% off boardgames, so we'll see if those starters and boosters find new homes.

Monsterpocalypse, on the other hand, has been very popular.
"Game over, man! Game over!"
-Private Hudson

Offline Durandal

• Unstable Construct
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 12:28:13 AM »
I gave it a try and it just wasn't for me.  It was overly simplistic and it lacked the Aesthetic I loved from MC/WZ.  It is a nice intro wargame for newbies to the hobby but not what I want currently.